Are SNAC adapters from AliExpress reliable?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
naylord

Are SNAC adapters from AliExpress reliable?

Unread post by naylord »

I'm thinking about dipping my toe into SNAC and getting a NES and PSX snac adapter. I have a daemonbite triple already but it would be cool for a Zapper/Guncon 1 or heck even getting myself an NGCon for RidgeRacer. I got my USB board/ analog IO board from a reputable site that wasn't aliexpress and for the video IO board in particular I thought there's more than go wrong so getting good picture quality was worth spending the extra money.

For SNAC though, I figure it'll either work or it wont (as opposed to picture quality where the colors or shadow detail could be off slightly and it'd be tough to tell). So I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten cheap SNAC adapters off of Aliexpress and found them to work just fine.

Thanks
C-R-T

Re: Are SNAC adapters from AliExpress reliable?

Unread post by C-R-T »

Aliexpress electronics often require some kind of touch up of solder joints for the product to work properly.

Other than that it should be fully functional.

The Mister resellers tend to use low quality Chinese components themselves (typically sourced from LCSC or even Aliexpress itself), to increase profit margins. So you’re getting the same product.
annette

Unread post by annette »

Quality is bad from ones I buy with the green pcb version have very weak usb connector and two with fault from bad solder.
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

We are about to release new SNAC nano with HDMI cables.
Kind regards
Ricardo

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

mineral55

Unread post by mineral55 »

C-R-T wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:52 am Aliexpress electronics often require some kind of touch up of solder joints for the product to work properly.

Other than that it should be fully functional.

The Mister resellers tend to use low quality Chinese components themselves (typically sourced from LCSC or even Aliexpress itself), to increase profit margins. So you’re getting the same product.
You can probably reflow a lot of these bad clones to get stuff working but if you dig around you'll notice reports from people that bought clone i/o boards from aliexpress and amazon with wrong resistor ladders which fail to pass colour tests. Don't give Binfunx or any of these other clone companies a penny if you can avoid it (which you most certainly can by switching to retro castle for your mister needs via aliexpress).

Like seriously how many people feel like spending hours reflowing their PCBs that probably use mediocre components?

I fully get why Bob from retroRGB mentions bitfunx by name on the regular. They are pure charlatans acting in bad faith.
chunky_tesco

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

rickdangerous wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:24 am We are about to release new SNAC nano with HDMI cables.
Kind regards
Ricardo
Are you planning on releasing 2 controller SNAC?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I ordered a RetroCastle PSX SNAC adapter. They are said to have good quality products. It has connectors for memory cards and generates the correct higher voltage for the rumble motors. You can ask them to leave the USB pass-through connectors off, so it works with a regular IO board.
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

chunky_tesco wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 am
rickdangerous wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:24 am We are about to release new SNAC nano with HDMI cables.
Kind regards
Ricardo
Are you planning on releasing 2 controller SNAC?
Yes, but just works with some cores. Dual player SNAC is available on: NES, SNES and PSX.

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt