Picade with Retina 9.7" Screen

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
phobus

Picade with Retina 9.7" Screen

Unread post by phobus »

IMG_1962.jpeg
Super happy with how it turned out. The retina screen is a good fit. Replaced the joystick hat with a usb game encoder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PistolsAtDawn

Re: Picade with Retina 9.7" Screen

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

That does look nice! You just need a LED matrix to spruce up that marquee now. Fortunately forum members hellbent and kconger have you covered!
phobus

Unread post by phobus »

sweet! on it
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Fantastic! That is a great compact solution.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

Awesome setup! I have several PiCades around, and I am seriously considering putting a MiSTer setup into one of them... Seeing your beautiful results, I am decided now :lol:

-Is the Retina 9.7" screen better than the PiCade 10" screen? In what sense? How do you connect it to the MiSter / DE-10 nano? (My guess is that it has an HDMI connector? Maybe an interface card of some kind is needed?

-What do you use for the audio?

-A simple USB OTG adaptor is enough for the joystick, but what USB controller board do you use? I am interested on zero-lag solutions.

I know it's a LOT of info, but I would like to replicate what you did, really.
phobus

Unread post by phobus »

vanfanel wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:10 pm -Is the Retina 9.7" screen better than the PiCade 10" screen? In what sense? How do you connect it to the MiSter / DE-10 nano? (My guess is that it has an HDMI connector? Maybe an interface card of some kind is needed?

-What do you use for the audio?

-A simple USB OTG adaptor is enough for the joystick, but what USB controller board do you use? I am interested on zero-lag solutions.
1 - the Picade screen is nice but the retina display is very noticeably better - contrast, sharpness, color
2 - the retina screen comes with two little speakers. they aren't very good, I'll be upgrading them soon
3 - I'm using a simple "zero lag" board from amazon, but I'm changing to a gp2040 board this week https://gp2040.info
akator

Unread post by akator »

That looks amazing.