MiSTer IO Controller Problems - Wired or BT

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
zorrobandito

MiSTer IO Controller Problems - Wired or BT

Unread post by zorrobandito »

I'm really struggling with my MISTer and controllers. I've had a MISTer (with IO board) for a couple of years and, whether it's wired controllers, keyboards or bluetooth, the connection is so flaky! Bluetooth will work about 30% of the time but often fixed with a check of the connectors and a reboot. It's random whether I get a few minutes or a few hours connection.

More recently I got a MISTerCade and it works flawlessly every time but I'm not getting the use out of my other MISTer because of this problem. I've managed to get 4 controllers configured with multiple dongles but the connection is so unstable that it's difficult to test it. The USB ports into the IO board are so loose that I have to make sure the connectors are straight every time I fire it up.

I've tried multiple PS4 controllers and 2 x BT dongles.

When I first got the MISTer, I had similar issues but upgraded the PSU to 5V and the problem seemed to be solved but it has returned with a vengeance.

I have one USB BT dongle connected and I'm connecting to an HDMI TV.

Any thoughts?
bankshot

Re: MiSTer IO Controller Problems - Wired or BT

Unread post by bankshot »

Basic Troubleshooting 101 - when things aren't working right, eliminate every layer of complexity/suspicion until things are as simple as possible and your sh*t works reliably.

Wireless BT technology adds a layer of complication - get rid of it. Wired technology is much simpler.

Sounds like everything so far with your controllers has been going through the same suspect I/O board. Get it out of the mix. It is possible it may have a critical fault of some sort. You may even need to unplug it from your DE10-Nano just to simplify the setup. I have a couple of $12-$15 MakerSpot micro USB OTG to 4-port USB-A gizmos that plug directly into the micro USB port on the DE10-Nano board. I then run hard-wired from the OTG hub into the PS4 controllers. For me they have worked flawlessly so far.

To summarize:
DE10 Nano board micro USB port -> micro USB OTG hub -> PS4 controller.

Hope this helps and you get to enjoy your MiSTer the way it should be.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Aslo try a pigtail to move the BT receiever away from the DE10
PhDTenma

Unread post by PhDTenma »

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. I'm not able con connect a DualSense or a SNES Switch controller via USB. I can pair those with the 8bitdo BT adapter but if I connect them with a usb cable nothing happens.

I also asked this in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MiSTerProject/ ... d_via_usb/ where I upload a short and not very good video with the DualSense.

My feeling is that the MISTer doesn't recognize that I have a gamepad in the usb because when I connect it in my macbook the gamepad gets on without blinking light.

Any ideas? I'm very new to this project and I'm sure this has happened to other people and manage to solve it.

Thank you in advance!
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

From the video you posted on reddit, the blinking blue light is an indication that it is trying to connect wireless-ly and is ignoring the usb connection.
You mentioned that you don't have a problem on your Macbook...have you ever paired the controller to your Macbook via bluetooth? If so then maybe that's why it's connecting without a problem.
You may want to check the USB cable for, one, make sure it's not only a charging cable and is capable of data transfer and two, check it for damage.
I just tried my DualSense for the first time and had no issues.
PhDTenma

Thanks, Fandango, indeed I have pared the Dualsense with my Macbook via bluetooth but I have tested also the controller without activating the bluetooth on the computer and it works.
Flandango wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:07 pm You may want to check the USB cable for, one, make sure it's not only a charging cable and is capable of data transfer and two, check it for damage.
I just tried my DualSense for the first time and had no issues.
I checked the cable and it works on the macbook (again without BT) and in PS5 (connecting the controller only by usb and not BT). I have used other cables with the same outcome... When the controller is connected to the macbook it clearly gets power (as in the photo) but in the Mister it doesn't get anything unless I press the home button where it tries to pair via BT, which seems odd since the Wifi and BT gets the power.

PXL-20221020-152036715.jpg
PXL-20221020-152036715.jpg (6.87 MiB) Viewed 1259 times
PhDTenma

Maybe the solution is to reset the configuration for the controllers and/or the usb ports? How could I do it?
Flandango
Core Developer

PhDTenma wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:06 pm Maybe the solution is to reset the configuration for the controllers and/or the usb ports? How could I do it?
If you are not getting power to the controller upon connecting it, then mister doesn't see it.
Hitting the PS button just causes it to try and connect via bluetooth.
I didn't notice in the video how you connect it to Mister. Are you using an official usb board?
PhDTenma

Indeed the problem is concerning the power, I have used a self-powered usb hub to connect there the DualSense and that to the MISTer and it recognizes the DualSense.

My AC adapter has 2A, should it be more?
Flandango wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:18 pm I didn't notice in the video how you connect it to Mister. Are you using an official usb board?
I bought it the whole thing mounted and I assumed it was the official usb board... I'll ask the seller but maybe the problem is just the power?

Thanks!
Flandango
Core Developer

PhDTenma wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:51 pm Indeed the problem is concerning the power, I have used a self-powered usb hub to connect there the DualSense and that to the MISTer and it recognizes the DualSense.

My AC adapter has 2A, should it be more?
Flandango wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:18 pm I didn't notice in the video how you connect it to Mister. Are you using an official usb board?
I bought it the whole thing mounted and I assumed it was the official usb board... I'll ask the seller but maybe the problem is just the power?

Thanks!
If it's one of those pre-built units that have an I/O board with a usb looking port (will be a single usb-like port on that board) then don't plug it into that one, that is User port and used for other external devices like "Snac" adapters and what not.
If you can, post a picture of your setup.
PhDTenma

Flandango wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:57 pm If it's one of those pre-built units that have an I/O board with a usb looking port (will be a single usb-like port on that board) then don't plug it into that one, that is User port and used for other external devices like "Snac" adapters and what not.
If you can, post a picture of your setup.
Thanks, I did tried different usb ports so I'm fairly sure that I didn't use always the User port :) (and maybe there's not even that port since the SNAC goes to it's specific port). It has a custom I/O + usb board with the same chips but maybe something else different. It's this model, which I find cool and compact but maybe not what I need for my particular controllers: https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... ster-mini/

I'll me checking different controllers and a different power supplies. In any case the seller has told me that I can return it if the usb situation is not what I need. I'll be testing more things and, in the worst case, return it and wait for buying a standard model where I won't face this issue.

The good news is that clearly this situation is just related with power and my specific model.
zorrobandito

Re: MiSTer IO Controller Problems - Wired or BT [SOLVED]

Unread post by zorrobandito »

bankshot wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:56 pm Sounds like everything so far with your controllers has been going through the same suspect I/O board. Get it out of the mix. It is possible it may have a critical fault of some sort. You may even need to unplug it from your DE10-Nano just to simplify the setup. I have a couple of $12-$15 MakerSpot micro USB OTG to 4-port USB-A gizmos that plug directly into the micro USB port on the DE10-Nano board. I then run hard-wired from the OTG hub into the PS4 controllers. For me they have worked flawlessly so far.

To summarize:
DE10 Nano board micro USB port -> micro USB OTG hub -> PS4 controller.

Hope this helps and you get to enjoy your MiSTer the way it should be.
Thanks for the troubleshooting advice, which I partially took! I'm now working!

I bought a new BT dongle just to remove it from the equation. I also bought a 4 port USB hub which I plugged into the USB-A port on the end of the MISTer which had a much tighter, more snug fit. I plugged the BT dongle into that. I also moved the BT dongle into a more prominent position - more in front of the TV. Since then, I've had consistent connection with the MISTer and the same dongle is supporting 4 pads - 2 x PS4 pads and 2 x 8bitDo NES 30 pads. Testing in Gauntlet confirms all are working! I'll need to give the games a thorough workout to test for consistency but I am in hog heaven! The pad works consistently - no more 3 or 4 reboots only to have it fail in 5 min.

It appears that my first suspicion about the USB ports being loose and causing detection issues to all USB devices was a real thing.

Thanks again!
bankshot

Unread post by bankshot »

Great news zorro!! Happy I was able to help.