A Core Without 15kHz Support: A Modeline for Sony BVM 15kHz?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
emuola

A Core Without 15kHz Support: A Modeline for Sony BVM 15kHz?

Unread post by emuola »

Tried the Arcadia core, but unfortunately it does not support 15Khz. So, the solution could be a core specific modeline in the ini. I got a hint from a kind fellow user, who got some other "incompatible" core working with a consumer CRT tv with a core specific modeline. For some reason, with my BVM it does not work :( Am I missing something really simple or do I just have to wait or use a lcd via HDMI? The suggested modeline is below:

Code: Select all

[Arcadia]
vga_scaler=1
video_mode=320,8,32,24,240,4,3,16,6048
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: A Core Without 15kHz Support: A Modeline for Sony BVM 15kHz?

Unread post by akeley »

If you're using Direct Video adapter then modelines won't work without an adapter.

Other than that could be that this particular BVM doesn't like this particular modeline, or that something regarding sync needs adjusting.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

vga_scaler=1 is what you should use from the VGA port on the Analog I/O board. If you are using hdmi->vga it should instead be direct_video=0.
emuola

Unread post by emuola »

akeley wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:24 am If you're using Direct Video adapter then modelines won't work without an adapter.

Other than that could be that this particular BVM doesn't like this particular modeline, or that something regarding sync needs adjusting.
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:21 pm vga_scaler=1 is what you should use from the VGA port on the Analog I/O board. If you are using hdmi->vga it should instead be direct_video=0.
It's weird that the BVM would not work with the same parameters as a CRT TV. At least the BVM has accepted any analog signal I have ever tried on it with multiple original weird computer/consoles. I wonder if someone would have BVM-compatible modeline somewhere :)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

emuola wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:50 am It's weird that the BVM would not work with the same parameters as a CRT TV. At least the BVM has accepted any analog signal I have ever tried on it with multiple original weird computer/consoles.
Some of these monitor models might have different sync/cable requirements. Or perhaps different tolerances too. On consumer sets things are a bit more straightforward. But yes, it should generally work, I am just saying this as a 'last resort" - an unlikely exception from a rule because odd things are known to happen with CRTs.

After all we all have pretty much the same setups regarding the MiSTer side, and yet these problems crop up time and again. So if you're sure your config and connection is OK, then there must be some other reason.

MY PVMs are in storage atm so I can't double check this modeline, maybe somebody else can.
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

This works on my PVM with Analog RGB output, sort of.. It's not 1:1.