About the use of a Crowpi 2 case for a MiSTer FPGA laptop project

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
cristianoalves

About the use of a Crowpi 2 case for a MiSTer FPGA laptop project

Unread post by cristianoalves »

Everybody here knows the "MiSTer FPGA in a Pi-Top case" project (viewtopic.php?t=1372 / viewtopic.php?t=4878).

I was wondering if it would be possible to make something similar using a Crowpi 2 case (it's somewhat similar to the Pi-Top, but seems more robust and better built).

It can be purchased here:

https://www.crowpi.cc/collections/crowp ... g-platform (official store)

It's costly, but it seems perfect for a MiSTer laptop project.

(I'm not tech savvy, so I don't know if this would be possible or if there's anything that would hamper the project — internal space, maybe? —but it seems promising to me. Also, I'd like to know your opinions.)

What do you think?
PistolsAtDawn

Re: About the use of a Crowpi 2 case for a MiSTer FPGA laptop project

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I think that would be sweet to have working, but I don't see that being an easy project. You'd probably be best served to get one of the Heber add on boards as everything is laid out flat. Look at the data sheet to see the circuit board

That said, just from looking at that picture I don't think there's enough room for this. You'd have to stack the DE-10 Nano on top of the Multisystem board and then the keyboard on top of that (or I guess you could leave it off, but I wouldn't want to do that personally). If the learning components on the white circuit board are removable, then I could see it potentially fitting.

The space on the side where a Raspberry Pi would fit will also be open and probably needing to be covered somehow. I don't think the DE-10 Nano is going to fit there.

Then there's the issue of the screen. If it has a ribbon connection and not an HDMI plug, then you'll have to research and solve that hurdle. Without knowing the internal specs on that, I can't offer any advice. The product manual shows a built-in converter that might work, but not if you have to remove the learning components to make room. And if you do remove the internals first, then you have to also worry about how to power the screen.

If you were someone who would describe themselves as tech savvy then you would still have your work cut out for you.