How Do You Get Cheats to Work?

C-R-T

How Do You Get Cheats to Work?

Unread post by C-R-T »

Hi,
I have the download-all script and my cheats folder is full of PS1 games and it's in the right position. (/media/fat/cheats/PSX)

However, literally zero games detect the cheats (tried a couple dozen). The cheats menu is always greyed out. How do I fix this?

Is it not even implemented yet?

Do I have to name the file the same? I tried for example "Rayman (USA).chd", and a cheat file "SLUS-00005.zip" (I think that's the right one?). Not working. I then renamed the cheat file to "Rayman (USA).zip", and it still didn't work.

There's a setting called Turbo (cheats off), and I've tried that both on and off, no difference.

I searched this forum, there is no talk of cheats being supported, and the readme at https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer doesn't mention cheats at all. So I can only assume cheats are a planned feature not yet implemented. Is that correct?
12characters

Re: How Do You Get Cheats to Work?

Unread post by 12characters »

Cheats for PSX games should be placed in the same folder as the CHD file. See how-to-use-cheats-with-cd-rom-images.

Also, check that data cache is off. See Cheats Not Working.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Funny enough some games work with cheat and cache at the same time, but other don't. ^^
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Good find.

Cheats should be automatically turned off as soon as the data cache from turbo is on.
Due to an oversight of me that is not working anymore, i will fix it.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

It works, dudes. Thanks.

To clarify for future readers, there is no option called "data cache", it's called "turbo". And that should be off, then.

Turbo (cheats off) is a bit confusing I think. Maybe call it Turbo (disables cheats), if that fits.

By the way! Feature request!

Maybe display the title id or whatever it's called in the menu whenever a game is loaded. Having the game called "Rayman (USA).chd", and a cheat file "SLUS-00005.zip" is a bit confusing. How will I know what that name is without googling it?
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:38 pm Turbo (cheats off) is a bit confusing I think. Maybe call it Turbo (disables cheats), if that fits.
Yes, that's better wording. I might change it in the next build.
C-R-T wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:38 pm Maybe display the title id or whatever it's called in the menu whenever a game is loaded. Having the game called "Rayman (USA).chd", and a cheat file "SLUS-00005.zip" is a bit confusing. How will I know what that name is without googling it?
I don't see a real reason to do that. the users shouldn't need to know.
Maybe it needs a better way of detecting the correct file then, e.g. that it doesn't have to be in the same folder.
There is not really a reason why that is, because (unlike other CD based systems?), PSX does know which exact game is selected currently.