Interest: Guide for Converting Floppy Disk Images

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
cyo.the.vile

Interest: Guide for Converting Floppy Disk Images

Unread post by cyo.the.vile »

I have noticed so far there aren't any robust guides on how to convert different floppy disk image formats for MiSTER and also hardware.

For example, if you have a Kyroflux, SCP or Pauline format game dump, how do you convert it properly to use it on MiSTER? I know how to do such things but I'm curious if there is any interest in the community for converting the different floppy formats to work on MiSTER cores such as FM Towns, PC88, X68000 etc. Lots of the PC88 and X68000 specifically had copy protection making it difficult to convert files.

circletheory

Re: Interest: Guide for Converting Floppy Disk Images

Unread post by circletheory »

I only have experience with backing up my Atari 1050 disk drive floppies to ATR image formats which can easily be read by my MiSTER. And for that I used a device called SIO2PC (https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=157) or for US (https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/p ... c-usb-rev2) and it worked perfectly. This device would connect to your original disk drive and then into your PC USB port. I'm sure something like this must exist for those other machines you mentioned.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Interest: Guide for Converting Floppy Disk Images

Unread post by Malor »

I'm sure the Wiki team would appreciate how-tos for the different cores. The established image formats vary wildly, to the point that it's unusual for cores to share solutions. Building little doc pages for each core you know about would probably be very handy. And if you do only one core at a time, you don't have to undertake the Herculean task of writing a master document that explains everything.

And, with mini pages, if you burn out, that's fine, there's still more docs than there were before. If you burn out on a central, master document, your work probably won't get used.