MiSTer Multisystem Handheld Prototype 'Handy'

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
seastalker

Re: MiSTer Multisystem Handheld Prototype 'Handy'

Unread post by seastalker »

I hope to skirt past any drama and just reply to the OP. I agree with Kitrinx above but if possible, for me, there are too many handhelds in the market with the 4 button SNES action buttons and I'd love to see the Sega/ fighting games 6 action button layout and proper D-pad. I had a Lynx and GameGear back in the day and love the overall look of them.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:58 pm To be honest, anyone wanting a retro handheld, you are better off with one of Ambernic's RG351 devices.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:21 am
Chilli_Vibes wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:58 pm To be honest, anyone wanting a retro handheld, you are better off with one of Ambernic's RG351 devices.
Yeah, because thats really telling people to buy a different device. It's a personal opinion, not a factual statement.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Every time I see this kinda stuff here, I have to remind myself it's not some hopped up, COD-playing, 12 year old posting, but most likely a grown ass man who thinks throwing expletives around makes them look tough. Newsflash: no, it doesn't.

Disagreeing and being opinionated is good overall, and I'm certainly not a stranger to that, but it needs to be civil. I'm a bit tired of seeing these off-my-meds outbursts here, so I will report them every time I see them.

(for the record, there was a lot of expletives flying around here earlier, hence this post, they had been cleaned out now thou)
city909

Unread post by city909 »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:36 pm I didn't mean any disrespect. I think this device is a good idea, with some refinements it can be better. And, I love the idea of the plastic bezel attachment to swap between 4:3, and 16:9.
But, don't write off the Ambernic device. I paid £90 for mine, and was blown away with how good it is for the money. It genuinely is as good as the original hardware, but with a much superior screen.

Those are both mine, side-by-side, and the only difference is the better screen on the Ambernic. Gameplay is exactly the same, same lag, same audio speed and pitch. But anyway, sorry to go off topic, just wanted to give some options to anyone not able to afford to go the Mister route.
that is not the original screen!
city909

Unread post by city909 »

for what its worth I always thought the Supaboy was a good size and design.

maxresdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:06 pm Except, I NEVER told anyone to use software emulation. As for the rest of your tosh, it's just that, tosh.
Not to stir the pot too much here, but what do you think the Anbernic devices are?
thisjustin2001

Unread post by thisjustin2001 »

Oh man, I've been waiting for someone to take on a MiSTer handheld project like this for a while now! It would be nice for the system to have a more ergonomic layout, and L2/R2 and rumble for PSX. I don't think analog sticks would be necessary, as I believe the only PSX games that have to have them are one version of RE1 and Ape Escape. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One pie-in-the-sky want for this project that I'd adore is a vertical clamshell variant, in sort of a DS/3DS like form factor, complete with a sleep function! I understand there's probably a 99% chance that that's outside of the scope of this project for the time being. Super excited to see how this project turns out! Fighting! (Fighting is a Korean slang word for encouragement)
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

@multisystem, Neil and the team - I suspect my viewpoint will be unpopular, but since my last comment, I've had days to reconsider. Now I think the controller accessibility isn't AS important as I had thought. With a Lynx or GameGear a player is stuck with the button layout there is. With the 'handy' (I like the idea of using that name), being a MiSTer, we have both SNAC and wireless controller options. In that, if I can plug in a playstation controller, a SNES,etc, I'd probably do so often. Similarly, I'd probably limit my computer core usage (on the handheld screen at least) due to special keyboard keys.

For me, I'd go with a button layout that reflects what I'd most play if I didn't have extra controllers- the 6 button Sega way also allows for native handheld mode fighter games like the Capcom greats.

I'd still want a handheld even if I had to plug in a choice controller - easy rotating the unit like a Lynx would be great for vertical arcade games (and lynx).
cristianoalves

Unread post by cristianoalves »

Awesome project! If you mass-produce it, I will undoubtedly purchase one. :D
Hakker

Unread post by Hakker »

Just had to register and say I would get one if you make them.
on the would like list...
6 front buttons and the 2 back
a HDMI out would be awesome
Personally I'm more a fan of the V2 directional pad or the SNES/NES/GB directional pad but that really is more nitpicking than anything else.

All things considered I must say they already look impressive.
TobyRieper

Unread post by TobyRieper »

I think its a great idea! Imagine though if you could play with your MiSter on the go then you could dock it with your telly like a nintendo switch or something? Some nights i cant be bothered to sit up so id like to play PSX in bed and I dont want my PVM crushing my legs.
JayRockets

Unread post by JayRockets »

I thought about using one of those waveshare screens they have for raspberry pis and 3d printing a little box incorporating one of those connectors for attaching cellphones to controllers.
Lapulid2

Unread post by Lapulid2 »

I think power would be the biggest hurdle on getting something like this going.