MT32 Pi hat - Change Volume?

HerrBerzerk

MT32 Pi hat - Change Volume?

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Hi,

is it possible to change the volume of the MT32-Pi hat somehow? In some PC games the MT32 music vs. the sound effects is too low/hi for me and I'm looking for a way to mix theses two volumes better. Either change the effects or the music volume?

Thanks you,

Frank
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: MT32 Pi hat - Change Volume?

Unread post by flynnsbit »

T300 pack has some volume scripts built in for now. Under --Utilities at the top of the list and there are volume scripts in there.
You can add those references to the run scripts of each game. These only work for mt32 mode.

like in 1_START.bat for the games you wanted to pull the volume down on for MT-32:

Code: Select all

@echo off

call E:\UTILS\DUMP.EXE E:\GAMES\-UTILITI/VOL_50.SYX
REM This changes the MT32 to Volume 50 percent

REM here is where the game exe launches

REM and here is where you would set the mt32 back to 100% after the game exits
call E:\UTILS\DUMP.EXE E:\GAMES\-UTILITI/VOL_100.SYX

Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

Hi Frank,

You can use physical buttons on the Pi hat to control volume. I personally thought Volume + & - was more useful than Synth & ROM so that is what I have on my self made MiSTer pi hat.
If you bought a ready made solution I expect you can hack on some buttons on or re-wire the existing buttons to Volume. I cant remember, but I expect the Pi MT 32 github page says which GPIO pins controls volume.
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

I will check that, thanks. I remember seen pi-hats with an additional volume dial... though I think they were not made for the MiSTer.
Ohverture

Unread post by Ohverture »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:35 pm I will check that, thanks. I remember seen pi-hats with an additional volume dial... though I think they were not made for the MiSTer.
https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... ol-surface

There is the option to connect a rotary encoder - you could mod that in yourself if you had the motivation.