Maldita Castilla Port?

eLLuiGi

Maldita Castilla Port?

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

Hi,

Is there anyway to port Maldita Castilla minix version to Mister Fpga ?!?

https://locomalito.com/maldita_castilla.php

This game is just incredible !

Thanks for your return :mrgreen:
MostroW

Re: Maldita Castilla Port?

Unread post by MostroW »

As far as i'm aware this game has never been ported to a retro console like the 16bit or 32bit generation, so in essence you'd need to code either a snes / megadrive / playstation / saturn game system to handle the sprites from that game, considering the limitations of the hardware (especially the 16bit generation) you'd probably run into some issues.

If it is possible, my best bet would be on either the playstation or saturn to handle this game correctly, though i wouldn't know anyone willing to undertake such a daunting task.
Marcellus

Unread post by Marcellus »

Yeah, this is a game for modern hardware, and windows etc.
Nothing to port here
mbandala

Unread post by mbandala »

Right at the bottom of that website there are links to ports of the game for other OS'. Windows (Old) is listed, looks like the game might run on Win XP. Maybe this could be tested on the AO486 core with Win 98.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

In that case, wouldn't it just be easier to run it on a modern pc?
Hectic

Unread post by Hectic »

MostroW wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:44 pm As far as i'm aware this game has never been ported to a retro console like the 16bit or 32bit generation, so in essence you'd need to code either a snes / megadrive / playstation / saturn game system to handle the sprites from that game, considering the limitations of the hardware (especially the 16bit generation) you'd probably run into some issues.

If it is possible, my best bet would be on either the playstation or saturn to handle this game correctly, though i wouldn't know anyone willing to undertake such a daunting task.
So, is that how they made the scummvm and doom ports?
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

Hectic wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:19 am
MostroW wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:44 pm As far as i'm aware this game has never been ported to a retro console like the 16bit or 32bit generation, so in essence you'd need to code either a snes / megadrive / playstation / saturn game system to handle the sprites from that game, considering the limitations of the hardware (especially the 16bit generation) you'd probably run into some issues.

So, is that how they made the scummvm and doom ports?
No they run that off the linux side.
You can of course do that here too but i don't think if its worth it.
I'm not even sure if the A9 has a gpu which makes things more compilicated.

If you want ports like that best to use a rpi or handhelds with linux systems (anbernic & co.)
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

eLLuiGi wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:27 pm Hi,

Is there anyway to port Maldita Castilla minix version to Mister Fpga ?!?

https://locomalito.com/maldita_castilla.php

This game is just incredible !

Thanks for your return :mrgreen:
I also think as other ones said above that the best/easiest way is to use it on a PC (or maybe a RPI).
Anyway, thanks for sharing this information about this game. I've never heard about it. It seems amazing, moreover it is exactly the style of game that I like (even if it seems to be not so easy :-))

かすりん

mbandala

Unread post by mbandala »

MostroW wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:54 pm In that case, wouldn't it just be easier to run it on a modern pc?
Of course. That was just to reply to the OP who wanted to know if the game could be ported /played on MiSTer.
Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

If the game is lightweight enough to run on a mister, then it could probably run on any cheap PC.
eLLuiGi

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

I already run it with rpi3 in low res (320x224 pixels) on crt 15khz. As it exist a linux version (those i install on rpi3) i'm just wondering if it also could be run with a MiSTer. I think AO core will not be enough powered, Maldita need windows xp mini but i will try.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

eLLuiGi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:54 pm I already run it with rpi3 in low res (320x224 pixels) on crt 15khz. As it exist a linux version (those i install on rpi3) i'm just wondering if it also could be run with a MiSTer. I think AO core will not be enough powered, Maldita need windows xp mini but i will try.
Reference:

viewtopic.php?p=11765#p11765