8Bitdo Pro 2 Wired Controller Not Working

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
DiamondDave

8Bitdo Pro 2 Wired Controller Not Working

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Yo!

I have had one of these controllers for several months and it works perfectly, assuming you hold down B when you plug it in.

I recently bought a new one, and before using it with MiSTer, I plugged it into my PC and upgraded the firmware (something I haven't done with my original, working one).

Now when I plug the new controller into my USB hub, the green light on the hub flashes and the controller won't function at all, almost as if it's drawing too much power or something.

This happens even if it's the only controller plugged into the hub, and if I unplug it and put my other Pro 2 in, it works fine.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it an issue with the new firmware installed on the controller? Thanks!
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: 8Bitdo Pro 2 Wired controller not working

Unread post by Malor »

I have the older 8bitdo Pro 2 wireless, being used in wired mode, and I ended up giving up on it because of firmware bugs. After using a USB switchbox to switch back and forth a few times between the Mister and my main computer, it would inevitably hard-crash the USB stack on the computer. It crashed it so badly, in fact, that the computer wouldn't shut off without a long-press on the power button, and then it wouldn't restart again unless I disconnected the whole machine from power.

I bought a DS5 to replace it, and haven't seen a problem since. I'm not impressed with 8BitDo's software engineering. The controller is wonderfully comfortable, but crashing my computer so hard it needs the power unplugged is no good.

edit: all that said, Mister supports both HID mode and XInput mode, so using the other mode on the controller might help. (I'm pretty sure it does both, as my earlier model does.)
MorkMikael

Re: 8Bitdo Pro 2 Wired Controller Not Working

Unread post by MorkMikael »

i think they changed the button to Y in the newer firmware i think.i think they left B blank now so holding it just do nothing.you can also try plug it in with out holding buttons and see if that help.

also they recommend to plug in controller direct in an usb port of the computer when doing firmware updates or it can brake stuff.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

I have a wired Pro 2 too, and after updating it to the latest firmware recently it still works in my mister
Actually it works better now, as you don't need any longer to press the B button while plugging it in; it's now the controller default behavior.
(I still prefer pressing Y while plugging it in, as that maps it differently, but it would work fine either way)
Have you tried what it does without an USB hub?
DiamondDave

ntt wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:49 am I have a wired Pro 2 too, and after updating it to the latest firmware recently it still works in my mister
Actually it works better now, as you don't need any longer to press the B button while plugging it in; it's now the controller default behavior.
(I still prefer pressing Y while plugging it in, as that maps it differently, but it would work fine either way)
Have you tried what it does without an USB hub?
I will try to plug it into my Switch tonight and see if it works on there, but I haven't tried it again with my MiSTer yet. Will try it again today after work.

Even when I plugged it in without touching any buttons, the green light on the hub was flashing as if it was drawing too much power. I've only ever seen that happen when I've tried to plug 4-5 different controllers in at the same time, but this was happening when the new Pro 2 controller was the only one plugged in
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the rumble motor, I can't imagine anything else in there drawing much power
DiamondDave

ntt wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:55 pm I'm wondering if it has something to do with the rumble motor, I can't imagine anything else in there drawing much power
I tried plugging it in again and got the green blinking lights on the USB hub. I took it out and plugged it in holding "Y" (originally I held "B", or nothing at all) and the green light went solid and I remapped the control on the main menu and it seems to be all good now! Plugged in my original Pro 2, both work together and light up as P1 and P2 on the indicator lights of the controllers.

Thanks!
DiamondDave

Well, looks like it's still not working right!

I played a bit of Castlevania SOTN with no problems, tried Smackdown 2, that still worked, but then when I tried RE2 (which I've played through already) it booted properly and let me select the game mode, but once the opening cinematic began the video started to play choppy and once again the green light on the USB hub started flashing, as did the indicator lights on the controller. It was non-responsive and when the game began none of the buttons worked.

Is this an issue with it being a dual shock controller game? I rebooted the MiSTer and set the PSX core options to "digital" controllers", restarted RE2 and again, once the opening video began playing the Pro 2 stopped working and the video was slow and choppy.

**I just tried RE2 again with my original Pro 2, plugged in while holding "Y", and the game and analog stick worked for about 20 seconds, then the hub started flashing green and the controller stopped working. I then plugged in the new Pro 2, held B, and it began working, including the analog stick! So I unplugged my old Pro 2 (the one that always worked), reset the core, and then the new Pro 2 failed again during the opening cinematic.

Really have no clue at all with what's going on with this controller!
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

It might be the USB hub itself, instead of the controller.. Just thinking out loud here
Either way, a weird issue to be sure

Will try to do some testing tomorrow night, even though my updated wired Pro 2 works without any issues as far as I can tell.
DiamondDave

ntt wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:03 pm It might be the USB hub itself, instead of the controller.. Just thinking out loud here
Either way, a weird issue to be sure

Will try to do some testing tomorrow night, even though my updated wired Pro 2 works without any issues as far as I can tell.
Thanks man!

I will mess around with it again tomorrow using a variety of different controllers (except the problem Pro 2) and see if they still work properly.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

I've tested my fully up-to-date wired Pro 2, trying to replicate the conditions you've described; the controller didn't show any weird symptoms, even when intensively using the rumble function.
Excluding the game, I'd think of an issue with either the USB hub or the controller itself, I'm afraid... a weak power supply might be a remotely plausible option, too.
Anyway I'd try re-flashing the controller first, to see if that makes a difference.
My not-even-2c :cry:
DiamondDave

ntt wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:59 pm I've tested my fully up-to-date wired Pro 2, trying to replicate the conditions you've described; the controller didn't show any weird symptoms, even when intensively using the rumble function.
Excluding the game, I'd think of an issue with either the USB hub or the controller itself, I'm afraid... a weak power supply might be a remotely plausible option, too.
Anyway I'd try re-flashing the controller first, to see if that makes a difference.
My not-even-2c :cry:
Thanks for your efforts!

Power supply is 5V, 4A and the hub hasn't given me any real trouble before. I used my original Pro 2 controller for an hour after work with no issues, then tried the new one, and again, all 3 controllers in the hub started flashing green lights again!

Will try downgrading the firmware on my computer. At this point I'd have to believe it's an issue with the controller itself somehow
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

pls let me know how this ends up, I'm quite curious now :)
DiamondDave

ntt wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:33 pm pls let me know how this ends up, I'm quite curious now :)
I recently plugged the controller back into my PC, downgraded the firmware to the oldest available version on the 8bitdo site (using their installer I downloaded) and the controller works fine now!

No idea what happened, maybe there was an error when I upgraded the firmware originally which was causing some sort of power surge? Since the USB hub was losing power and flashing when I tried to use it afterward?

Thanks for your help/suggestions though!
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you've solved!
Have you tried re-upgrading that controller to the latest firmware version, after downgrading it?
Wondering if it was just a bad flash, assuming it's possible at all, or if that specific controller holds a grudge against the latest firmware version :D
DiamondDave

ntt wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:22 pm Thanks for the update, glad to hear you've solved!
Have you tried re-upgrading that controller to the latest firmware version, after downgrading it?
Wondering if it was just a bad flash, assuming it's possible at all, or if that specific controller holds a grudge against the latest firmware version :D
I might try upgrading it again in a couple weeks, but as of now it's working so I don't want to potentially screw it up haha
Zero0018

Unread post by Zero0018 »

I have been experiencing this as well and just figured out how to fix it. While the controller is plugged in, load the 8Bit ultimate software app, pick windows and then simply close the software down. This makes the controller usable. Not sure WHY you have to do this to get the stupid thing to work, but luckily it's an easy fix!