What Is the Longest Time You Had Your MiSTer on For?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
circletheory

What Is the Longest Time You Had Your MiSTer on For?

Unread post by circletheory »

Yesterday morning, I FTP'd into my mister to drop a few files. I did this without turning on my TV. When I was done, I totally forgot to turn off my Mister. This morning I woke up and I realized that my Mister had been on the whole time (~23 hours). I have the aluminum case from Misteraddons and it was pretty warm, but nothing to freak about. Mister worked fine when I checked.

So I was just curious what is the longest anyone has had their Mister on for without powering down? And with what type of cooling? Aluminum case or fan?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: What Is the Longest Time You Had Your MiSTer on For?

Unread post by jca »

I can run it for months, just heatsink, no case, no airco in a tropical climate.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I've had a caseless MiSTer running inside an arcade cabinet without a fan for days without issues.
In my experience heat only becomes a problem on big cores such as Minimig or ao486.
circletheory

jca wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:53 pm I can run it for months, just heatsink, no case, no airco in a tropical climate.
Wow -- months! Makes me feel that I totally overreacted for mine being on for lest than 24 hours :lol: . That's great to know -- thanks!
circletheory

Newsdee wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:11 pm I've had a caseless MiSTer running inside an arcade cabinet without a fan for days without issues.
In my experience heat only becomes a problem on big cores such as Minimig or ao486.
Good to hear -- although I do use the ao486 and Minimig quite a bit. Does the DE-10 have any over heat protection mechanism like a reset (to get out of the running core)? Sorry if this has been asked already.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I think my max uptime was around six months. No, there is no heat protection in the processor.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

My current uptime is 15 days. I almost never turn it off. I do have a heatsink and fan on it, however.