Updating MiSTer From Scratch What Am I Doing Wrong?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
vicmarto

Updating MiSTer From Scratch What Am I Doing Wrong?

Unread post by vicmarto »

Hi!

This is the sequence I followed to install and update the MISTER software from scratch:

1) Copy mr-fusion image (v2.5) to SD via dd.

2) Start MISTER and wait for the image to be repartitioned and expanded (about two minutes).

Since the MISTER is connected to a CRT monitor, I cannot see the process. But once the system restarts, I can already see the image (although duplicated, due to lack of synchronisation).

3) Mount the SD card on a computer and:

3.1) Create and edit /MiSTer.ini to:

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
composite_sync=1       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
fb_terminal=0          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
3.2) Copy the update_all.sh (v2.0) script to the /Scripts/ directory

4) Start MISTER (now it synchronises with the CRT) and: F12 > Scripts > update_all.

5) About 5-10 minutes later the script terminates and the system is left on MISTER v221014 and OS v220413.

Right now, I have these problems:

a) In F12 > Scripts there are only 8 scripts (fast_USB_polling_off.sh, fast_USB_polling_on.sh, rtc, samba_on.sh, timezone, update, update_all, wifi), instead of 30+ in: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts_MiSTer

b) I can't access the update_all.sh configuration menu (by pressing UP as soon as it starts).

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Updating MiSTer From Scratch What Am I Doing Wrong?

Unread post by Malor »

I got the same thing with the scripts on my last setup. I'm not sure why so many aren't being included anymore, but I manually added the ones I needed.

I wonder if maybe disabling fb_terminal might be messing with the keyboard scancodes somehow? AFAIK, there's no reason to disable that; that lets you press F9 at the main menu and log into a terminal so you can do stuff without needing ssh. Generally speaking, ssh is more convenient, but leaving the F9 terminal active gives you another way into the system if something bad happens. You can fix stuff without pulling the card. Running update_all.sh that way is quite likely to give you access to the up arrow, if nothing else.

Another way around the 'no up in update_all' is to get ssh running, and log in remotely. That's normally how I do it. If you're on Windows 10 or newer, you have ssh built right in. Open a terminal and "ssh root@a.b.c.d", where the letters are the IP address of the Mister. Or, of course, if you've got local DNS running and make an alias for it, or edit /etc/hosts, you can "ssh root@mister".

You can also download a graphical client like Putty.
vicmarto

Unread post by vicmarto »

Thanks Malor for your answer, it has been really helpful.

It seems I guessed a few points that weren't true:

1) I thought F12 > Scripts would sync with the https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts_MiSTer, but it doesn't seem to.

2) I thought the configuration menu for `update_all.sh` could be accessed from the CRT monitor, but it seems not. It must be done from SSH or via F9.

Thank you very much!
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

vicmarto wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:43 am Thanks Malor for your answer, it has been really helpful.

It seems I guessed a few points that weren't true:

1) I thought F12 > Scripts would sync with the https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts_MiSTer, but it doesn't seem to.

2) I thought the configuration menu for `update_all.sh` could be accessed from the CRT monitor, but it seems not. It must be done from SSH or via F9.

Thank you very much!
It gets from here

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distribution_MiSTer

Lots of those scripts have been deprecated hence are no longer needed. Examples like Xow_on, this is not built into the mister
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

F12/Scripts just gives you a list of the scripts presently available; choosing one from the list will run it. It doesn't do any updating, it just shows you what's already there.

The update_all.sh script is now handling updates for a few community scripts, but most of them are manual update only. You can download scripts and put them on the card from Windows, or you can use the Linux command line (either F9 mode or with SSH) to wget scripts directly into /media/fat/Scripts. If you're getting them from websites, you want to drill down until you're getting the raw text only, and then wget that URL.

The Mister is a full-featured Linux machine, so if anyone ever distributes malicious scripts, you're vulnerable. Be careful about what you download.