XK-68 Joystick Issues? On MiSTer Cores

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
evilsim

XK-68 Joystick Issues? On MiSTer Cores

Unread post by evilsim »

I have this cool x-input joystick which is normally used in the broadcast industry for controlling cameras and various events on set, from a control room environment.

Its called a XK-68, made by P.I. Industries. It aroused my interest due to it having "spinner"controls via the joystick in the center of the controller (also it has many backlit buttons).

xk-68joylegended_1200_580x-65321421.jpg
xk-68joylegended_1200_580x-65321421.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 734 times

So I used the tool from the manufacturer website, X-Keys basic setup and programmed a few buttons. They then appear in Windows "game controllers" and all the buttons, joystick and spinner function seem to work.

I go into my lovely mister, go into midnight resistance or golden axe or NES or any core, and am able to program the buttons. Then I am unable to use any of the buttons. Nothing works, cannot 'start' cannot 'coin insert', just nothing.
On the mister mainmenu core, I CAN control up/down but no button presses.

midres core created this file in my Inputs dir on my mister "midres_input_05f3_045d_v3.map"
lsusb shows the device "Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05f3:045d PI Engineering, Inc. XK-68 Joystick"

But I cannot seem to use it :( can anyone help me ? Thankyou. :mrgreen:
mapf

Re: XK-68 Joystick Issues? On MiSTer Cores

Unread post by mapf »

Did you define the joystick buttons in the mister menu before using a core? That is a required step for any new input device you connect to your mister. Check https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_Mi ... ck-Mapping for details

evilsim

Unread post by evilsim »

That is a required step for any new input device
Wow I feel silly. Thanks so much for that mapf
In my haste to play with this joystick I did not do that.

however its brought me to the realization that when I use the Z axis (spinner joystick), instead of just moving the axis on the Z axis it causes the joysticks postition to move around in an oval-shape, so when the spinner is "spun" it can cause the player to always be moving up or down or left or right.
edit: The bottom of the joystick (the end where the direction + z axis sensors are) had been bent. Someone had probably put something very heavy on this joystick and bent it. I pulled it apart, found the bend, unbent it and wallah its all working properly.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

evilsim wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:04 pm

wallah its all working properly.

Please use Voilà... ;)
https://www.thoughtco.com/voila-vocabulary-1371436

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Avec un accent grave sur le à. Chapeau!

evilsim

Unread post by evilsim »

Forgive me I am an aussie we have a local/translated (lazy) version of many international words. I am familiar with voilà, one parent speaks and teaches french.