Mac II Core

troydm

Mac II Core

Unread post by troydm »

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone is doing Mac II core... I know there is Basilisk II configuration which basically makes Mister run Basilisk via it's Linux ARM cpu, but having an FPGA implementation of actual core would be nice. Something that would run System 7.5 or even System 8.1
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Mac II Core

Unread post by bbond007 »

troydm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:31 pm Hi all, was just wondering if anyone is doing Mac II core... I know there is Basilisk II configuration which basically makes Mister run Basilisk via it's Linux ARM cpu, but having an FPGA implementation of actual core would be nice. Something that would run System 7.5 or even System 8.1
You can run ShapeShifter under the Amiga/Minimig core. Works very well with the RTG and a dedicated HD partition.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

bbond007 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:05 pm You can run ShapeShifter under the Amiga/Minimig core. Works very well with the RTG and a dedicated HD partition.
You can, but it's emulation within emulation. Dedicated core would be most welcome.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

akeley wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:11 pm You can, but it's emulation within emulation. Dedicated core would be most welcome.
Less emulation than you’d think, since they share the same CPU, Macintosh didn’t really have super capable custom graphics chips, etc. As I know that you know, just stating the obvious.

Not trying to argue against a better core, but you get a surprisingly great Mac experience that way. On the other side of that coin, SimCity 2000 on the Mac in native HD resolution via Shapeshifter and Amiga RTG is a sight to behold. 😄

(and yes, it supports both 7.5 and 8.1 out of the box)
db15rules

Unread post by db15rules »

ShapeShifter is a neat emulator, but the native experience would be cool.
Would also love to see higher-end models like the IIfx or (dare I say it) the Quadra 750 to be included, though they do get tripped up by the '030/40's MMU and FPU implementations.
Dinofly

Unread post by Dinofly »

I would love to see this too. If the Mac’s hardware is already implemented for another core, does that mean that it would be easy to add ?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I was looking into Mac II emulators that weren't Basilisk or Sheepshaver, since they're both unstable on my 5800X, and I noticed that MAME indicates problems with the sound chip. It sounds like it may not be well understood.
ihaveamo

Unread post by ihaveamo »

There's this BasiliskII core which is said to use FPGA and ARM at the same time- Was mentioned on the most recent Lu's retro resource on youtube.

https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_BasiliskII

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It is a software emulator which runs on the ARM side.