MegaAGS 2022.06.06 Available

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: MegaAGS 2022.06.06 Available

Unread post by Malor »

I don't understand the internals of MegaAGS very well, but one thought is that maybe the minimig_vadjust.dat file didn't make it into the shared directory, or it's not readable for some reason.

A quick sanity check to be sure it works: open a CLI, and type:

Code: Select all

cd mister:
dir
more minimig_vadjust.dat
If it's working, you'll see one or more files printed after you type dir, and then you'll be prompted by the more command that the file isn't binary. If you hit spacebar, you should see garbage. Hit the spacebar again to quit more. Seeing garbage is good, it means the file is readable. If you get that far, everything's good, and you'll have to await troubleshooters that understand MegaAGS better than I do.

If the cd fails, the share driver isn't working for some reason. Have you created a 'shared' directory under the Amiga dir?

If the dir fails or doesn't print anything, you may have a permissions problem on the directory, or maybe you haven't put any files there.

If the more fails (can't read the file), then either it's not there, or the permissions on the dir or on the minimig file are wrong.

You should only be able to get permissions problems if your files are stored on something other than the internal SD card. That's a FAT filesystem, which doesn't do permissions.
Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

I don’t think access to the shared folder and/or vadjust.dat is the issue here actually. There are failsafes in place to handle that (or at least, that’s the idea :) ).

Still, it’s a puzzling error. Not being able to “open screen” (that is, initialize a screen mode and allocate memory) is something I’ve not encountered reports on before. Having incorrect RAM or chipset settings could cause this I guess.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Yeah, making sure that they're loading the correct A1200 config would be good.

FWIW, everything is still working well here, so some kind of incorrect setting seems likely.
JB Lars

Unread post by JB Lars »

I imagine it is (incorrect setting), though I can't figure what with a clean install. The talk of permissions and SD card got me to looking at the SSD I have it installed on, and I moved everything except the main .adf over to SD. No joy. What should I delete to start over? Just empty out the Amiga folders and delete any minimig entries from config?
tgm0

Unread post by tgm0 »

MegaAGS-v2022.11.11 is now available. I cannot find details on what have been changed in it though...
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I managed to fix my no-dynamic-crop issues previously by making sure I had the config files and shared folder files put on (and I put the shared files both on the usb where my mega-ags is, as well as the games directory in the SD card for safety.) However I'm getting that again with this 11-11 megaags now. No 5x scaling on 5x PAL games. Anyone else having trouble with this new release?
mkosut

Unread post by mkosut »

Older thread, but for those that come across this issue:

You can get the "Couldn't open screen" message if you do not have AGA selected under System->Chipset.

circletheory

Unread post by circletheory »

tgm0 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:05 pm

MegaAGS-v2022.11.11 is now available. I cannot find details on what have been changed in it though...

Oh cool -- was not aware of a new release! I believe you can see the diff changes between 11/11 and the 6/6 on the github page.
https://github.com/Optiroc/AGSImager/co ... 2022.11.11

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

Something like this:

• Content: Up to date with whdload.de as of 2022.11.11
  • Content: Lots of new disk magazines and demos
  • Menu: significantly faster load times when entering lists
  • Menu: Jump-to-letter using keyboard
  • Menu: Go to parent list using secondary (blue) button
  • Menu: Support for chronological sorting (not dynamic, but pre-set in certain lists like "Disk magazines, by release date")
  • Menu: New "look and feel"
  • Misc: Super Attract Mode integration
  • Misc: Added MegaAGS-Extras archive with alternative MGL based configs and video settings
brianvgplayer

Unread post by brianvgplayer »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:33 am

I managed to fix my no-dynamic-crop issues previously by making sure I had the config files and shared folder files put on (and I put the shared files both on the usb where my mega-ags is, as well as the games directory in the SD card for safety.) However I'm getting that again with this 11-11 megaags now. No 5x scaling on 5x PAL games. Anyone else having trouble with this new release?

Yes, I installed this on two different misters after an old install. The menus are showing up, but I'm getting errors about not being able to find a redirect file when trying to load a game. This is using the 11-11 megaags file from the internet archive. I also used the extras and deleting them didn't seem to help. I can still run games direct from the workbench.

edit: Solved the issue by dummying out the shared directory in the MiSTer ini.

retro

Unread post by retro »

Will the new AGA version of Turrican II (see https://sonicslothgames.itch.io/turrican2aga) be added to the MegaAGS pack? :)

Or is it already in there?

Apologies if it already is and this is a stupid question....

I've been too busy with work to step away from my desk... been at least 4-5 months since I booted up my MiSTer

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

The last beta release is in. v1.0 will be added, of course!

folderwin

Unread post by folderwin »

Tell me how to download AmigaOS and games from the hard drive(.hdf). My download ends with a screen asking me to insert a floppy disk.

thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

folderwin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:06 pm

Tell me how to download AmigaOS and games from the hard drive(.hdf). My download ends with a screen asking me to insert a floppy disk.

As I told you elsewhere, extract both the .7z archives into /media/fat. This seems to be more related to needing documentation/understanding for MiSTer than for MegaAGS per se.

My Filters and Shadow_Masks folders are capitalized and the ones in the archives are lower case so on Linux that will probably cause a problem if you aren't extracting the .7z files on Windows or macOS.

We can see all your requests for help, both the two here and the one on archive.org.

folderwin

Unread post by folderwin »

thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:39 pm
folderwin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:06 pm

As I told you elsewhere, extract both the .7z archives into /media/fat. This seems to be more related to needing documentation/understanding for MiSTer than for MegaAGS per se.

My Filters and Shadow_Masks folders are capitalized and the ones in the archives are lower case so on Linux that will probably cause a problem if you aren't extracting the .7z files on Windows or macOS.

We can see all your requests for help, both the two here and the one on archive.org.

Thank you so much, everything worked out.Pure childhood to play amiga on TV was fulfilled!

thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

Nice! Enjoy.

CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

I've installing MegaAGS on my real 1200, which I had running until... I overwrote everything with the latest MegaAGS build.
It works fine without modification on my MiSTer. My 1200 has a Vampire V1200 in it and OS 3.2 / 3.2 rom.

I can get the menu up and running, but when I try and run a title, it fails and I get a cli popup message:
ags_notify failed returncode 10

And weirdly, with the main interface, again only on my real Amiga, the agsm.font just doesn't work. Font not found.
Tried putting it in place, no dice there.
If I change the agms2.config file to use topaz.font it works fine though, although the layout is screwed up.
Can anyone help out? Cheers

Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

edit: my mistake sorry

Hobbesgoblin

Unread post by Hobbesgoblin »

It aims to be the de-facto Amiga setup for the MiSTer, and lets you explore the massive Amiga game and demo scene library with a user friendly launcher and lots of different categories to help you navigate the vast game library of the Amiga, as well as providing an introduction to the Amiga demo scene for people unfamiliar with it — which, interestingly, is nominated as a UNESCO cultural heritage.

Just want to report, that this motion has been passed and the Demoscene is now listed as an immaterial cultural heritage of germany ;)

well since 2021 actually ^^

source(german): https://www.unesco.de/kultur-und-natur/ ... /demoszene

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yes, and in Finland, and Poland too.

It has not been added to the international UNESCO list yet, but with three countries behind it already and several more underway, hopefully it succeeds. :)

For anyone interested in following along or helping with the process: http://demoscene-the-art-of-coding.net

Snickers

Unread post by Snickers »

Hi, im relative new on Amiga. Is there a way to sort out/change Games with other Game Regions?

I would like change the english with german versions.

nbla000

Unread post by nbla000 »

limi wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:22 am

We’re excited to let you know that MegaAGS 2022.06.06 is now available!

Hi, searching around the web, there seems to be a new version of MegaAGS, MegaAGS 2022.11.11, is it true and is it the latest?

I'm asking because I found a very dangerous issue on this release.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

You can send me a direct message here on the forums if there’s anything related to security or similar issues.

nbla000

Unread post by nbla000 »

pm sent.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

nbla000 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:00 pm

Why not publicize this dangerous issue so anyone using it would be aware of the problem?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

They sent me a message — it’s not dangerous, but will require an update to MegaAGS.

Short version: There’s a “joke” virus (HNY96, info) on some of the files, luckily it’s not a destructive virus — it’s one of those viruses that was made for fun and does not destroy anything. It has no real impact, but of course we want to remove it. However, to address it we have to recompile some of the toolchain we are using.

It was reported a few weeks ago, and we have been investigating what needs to be done. Since we don’t distribute the image — we just maintain the build script — we thought maybe it was from whoever built a given image. Deeper investigation revealed that the origin was one of the tools we are using in the build process.

The reason I didn’t want to make a big deal about it is because if you run an Amiga antivirus tool to remove it, it will break your MegaAGS image, so it’s better to just leave it the way it is until we can get a proper fix included.

If it was a virus that’s capable of causing actual damage, we would have made a specific announcement. Unfortunately in this case you will end up with a non-working setup if you try to fix it, so we will fix it for you instead.

In summary: It’s been around for many releases already, and has not caused any issues — seeing as it is a “joke virus”, it’s not dangerous. The next release (coming shortly) will of course address this.

Update: AmigaVision/MegaAGS 2023.04.05 is now out, and has fixed this: viewtopic.php?t=6365

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Running probably the first modern operating system meant that you got modern problems, too. What a pain in the butt viruses were on that system. It had no defenses at all against malicious code.

nbla000

Unread post by nbla000 »

jca wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:03 pm
nbla000 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:00 pm

Why not publicize this dangerous issue so anyone using it would be aware of the problem?

As limi said, it seems not very dangerous but in some rare circumstance (that I had) may cause annoying with some programs if you don't simply use the megaAGS hdf files only.
In my case I had problems with DOpus5 present on my another HDF file that I've mounted along with megaAGS HDF files, DOpus5 simply doesn't start any more and you need to restore a file to fix the problem.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yes, as far as I understand it, it does scramble a register that may cause issues if the app/game relies on it and doesn’t clear it up front.

So it can cause issues, but at least it doesn’t destroy files or anything else — it’s not malicious, just bad programming.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

It seems like PAL 5x cut does not want to work if your shared directory is on an external drive (usb0). With nothing set in the .ini (either shared= or completely ommitted), the core does create minimig_vadjust.dat and Disk.info in usb0 if it is not present, so part of the core is looking in the right place. (obviously you want to use these plus ags_current from the archive to get 5x working.) However you will be stuck with 270p in all PAL games. If my games/Amiga folder is on the SD card there are zero problems with the exact same files, 216p works. If most of the games/Amiga is on USB and I force SD use with shared=/media/fat/games/Amiga and stick the shared files there, it also works. If I force shared=/media/usb0/games/Amiga it does not work.