How to Use Racing Wheels?

jordi

How to Use Racing Wheels?

Unread post by jordi »

Hi!

I was wondering if my old Thrustmaster force feedback racing wheel from the 2000s might work on the Mister.

From what I see on dmesg it looks like it's detected, right??

Two captures showing it as detected properly, maybe?

Whats-App-Image-2022-12-04-at-21-12-42.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2022-12-04-at-21-12-42.jpg (627.11 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Whats-App-Image-2022-12-04-at-21-12-41.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2022-12-04-at-21-12-41.jpg (486.84 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

But I tried using on PSX core for Gran Turismo, and I couldn't. Should I have to assign buttons? it does not allow me to do it.

naylord

Re: How to Use Racing Wheels?

Unread post by naylord »

If you're just running this via USB you'll basically have to assign buttons in some way. Not sure they have a driver to map your USB driving wheel to whatever native PSX wheel Gran Turismo supports.

What should work for sure, is if you use SNAC and an original racing wheel. Because then the wheel would work for the same reason it would work on original hardware; no extra step of writing a driver for the core required.

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

naylord wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 pm

If you're just running this via USB you'll basically have to assign buttons in some way. Not sure they have a driver to map your USB driving wheel to whatever native PSX wheel Gran Turismo supports.

What should work for sure, is if you use SNAC and an original racing wheel. Because then the wheel would work for the same reason it would work on original hardware; no extra step of writing a driver for the core required.

Yes, that's USB.

But then I should select Wheel on psx core options?

M.Walrus

Unread post by M.Walrus »

jordi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 am

Yes, that's USB.

But then I should select Wheel on psx core options?

It depends on what the game originally supported. There were a wide range of analog peripherals that had varied levels of support.

In general, you want to use "Wheel-NegCon" mode where possible as this gives you full analog for steering, gas and brakes. Gran Turismo is best played this way, as is Ridge Racer Type 4.

Check my guide on another Thrustmaster wheel here for binding advice: viewtopic.php?p=66567#p66567
You'll want to bind it first in the menu core in the specific way I listed there, and then bind the normal buttons on the wheel in the PS1 core. Remember to set P1 input to "Wheel-NegCon"

There is a handy list of NegCon supported games here, that may give you ideas for other games to try with it: http://brittens.org/NegCon.html