tty2rgbmatrix

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Sartis

Re: tty2rgbmatrix

Unread post by Sartis »

Hey @hellbent, What are your thought on using 3 panels instead of 2? I'm building one of these for my arcade cabinet and 3 would fit better along the top. Would the gif files go across all 3 panels?
hellbent

Unread post by hellbent »

if you added a third panel you'd have to do a few things:

1) you'd need to adjust the panels_in_X_chain to 3
2) you may have to play with the showGIF function so that the 128x32 images would be centered... not sure.

if i had a third panel i'd test for you but i've only got the 2 at this time. i was about to pull the trigger on some new smaller panels i saw on aliexpress to try those...

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

Sartis

Unread post by Sartis »

@hellbent thanks for the info. I got 6 when I bought mine because I’m also building one for my mister setup. So it sounds like it may be doable. What are you planning with the smaller panels? Can you provide a link?
hellbent

by smaller i mean smaller pitch, still 64x32 just with elements closer together.

these are P2 panels as opposed to the P2.5 i'm using now.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832638130766.html

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

hellbent

just pushed an upload to github that includes several other animated and static images i've pulled from eLLuigi, pixelcade, and from web2rgbmatrix's collections. i haven't had a lot of time the last week or so but im going thru finding images i like. if you have any suggestions let me know.

code also handles static gif files as well, can't remember if i said anything about that recently or not.

hope to make a detailed setup video soon.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Maybe the two Matrix Projects can share their Media Library. Just an Idea.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

kconger

Unread post by kconger »

venice wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:35 am Maybe the two Matrix Projects can share their Media Library. Just an Idea.
I think this would be a great idea. @hellbent if this interests you please PM me and we can work out the details.
hellbent

super hang-on gif created... this one was too powerful at 16ms per frame so i've had to slow it down to 30ms but it still looks good and fast to me. its also over a minute long! i need to dial it back in the future
shangon_big.gif
so this image might not display in your browser and im not sure why... it shows on twitter okay but firefox and chrome don't seem to like to show it for me so not sure if its just me or what... regardless the one here is the big blown up version for web viewing and you should grab the one from the github anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Great Stuff 8-)

Question, which Program(s) do you use to build these Gifs.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

hellbent

i am pulling all ready ripped sprites from various online sites like spriter's resource if they exist but for the complex animations like the one in super hang-on i'm running the game in MAME using MAMEUI and recording the output to AVI. then, using ffmpeg, i convert each frame to PNG which is then imported in series into Aseprite which is a great pixel drawing and animation application with support for all sorts of fun plugins and scripts using lua. get the animation how i want it and then export to GIF, then i optimize using ezgif online.

for example the color bands scrolling up and down in the super hang-on logo was all done by hand frame by frame. same with the transitions from the sega logo to the game logo and from those to the attract mode animations. the scrolling from the START flag down to the racers on the first attract mode animation was done by scrolling the animation using a script in aseprite which is much easier said than done (its temperamental and doesn't always give you the result you are looking for).

and then i had to do it all over again because i forgot the paint out the INSERT COIN flashing text on that attract animation.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

hellbent

i swear i'm not dead... just been incredibly busy. haven't even had time to boot up my MiSTer for a few weeks at least.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

hellbent

work in progress. actual in game title screen for arcade is a travesty but the marquee art is nice. this is adapted from the atari version i believe and then basically recolored. once im happy i'll add it to the arcade attract mode captures i've taken to make the final gif.
IMG_0307 Small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

McFunkerson

Unread post by McFunkerson »

I love this project! I have a full sized arcade I'm going to be putting a MiSTer into and I'm thinking about using tty2rgbmatrix... only going bigger.

Looking at the project it looks like I can change the panel size and number of panels at the top of the file. At 640mmx160mm it looks like I can go p2.5 (256x64), p2 (320x80) or p1.86 (344x86).

If I were to change the panel settings... and provide artwork at the correct resolution is this something that should "just work"? I am a software developer, but my experience with Aurdino is fairly small at this point so I'm not very familiar with the libraries at this point.
hellbent

the panel display library should be able to handle more screens in various orientations and layouts tho i only have the two ive used in my project so i personally haven't done this. there are several examples tho on mr faptastic's git hub for the esp32 dma library for multiple panels.

the gif code by larry bank is limited to a width of 320 pixels. tho you may be able to tweak it.

the code i've used is setup only for 128x32 so it would need tweaking to handle other resolutions. i've considered going up to 192x64 by adding 4 more of the same panel i'm using but haven't got the cycles at this time. as it is im way behind on making the animated gifs!

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

McFunkerson

OK, I just ordered 2 160x80 panels, a esp32-trinity, and the sd card reader pcb from adafruit. Since most of that is shipping from china it might be a while before I can tinker with it though 😂.

If I were to clean up the core image mapping section and make the script easier to configure for different panel sizes would you be open to pull requests?

Edit:
Actually, I probably should have looked at the docs for the
ESP32-HUB75-MatrixPanel-DMA first. It states:
Resolutions beyond 128x64 are more likely to result in crashes due to memory constraints etc. You are on your own after this point - PLEASE do not raise issues about this, the library can't magically defeat the SRAM memory constraints of the ESP32.
And the panels I chose aren't compatible with the library either. Luckily I can cancel those since they haven't shipped.

Edit2:
Ok, higher resolution displays should be possible but at a reduced color depth. I'm having problems right now figuring out what panels to buy. Not all of them on ali express list their driver chip.
hellbent

yeah tahts the trouble with ali express. you never know what driver you are going to get.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

eLLuiGi

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

Hi,

Here is the brand new ULTIMATE GIFS DLC with 8000 gifs !!!!

https://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67065

eLLuiGi

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

Next goal is 10k gifs !!!

hellbent

finally finished the bosconian gif. it's up on the github now.

bosco_big.gif

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

McFunkerson

I was able to get everything up and running at 256x64 (4 64x64 panels). I did have to set the color depth to 6 bit due to memory limitations, but I think it looks pretty decent.

Now I need to start making 256x64 artwork.

IMG_6241.jpg
IMG_6240.jpg
IMG_6239.jpg

@hellbent, I don't want to step on any toes but I made a fork of your repo and made some changes. First, I reorganized the code to be a bit easier for me to follow and easier to configure for different set ups.

Functional Changes I made:
The app now looks for animated art based on core name, then static art, then fallsback to a default image (as opposed to needing hard coded paths for each core).
GIFS are loaded from the SD Card once and played/displayed (animated/static) until there is a core change (instead of being read from the SD Card every loop).
GIFS are now centered if they are smaller than the display.

My fork is here: https://github.com/KrisConrad/tty2rgbmatrix

If you want me to make a PR I can.

hellbent

sounds like you went above and beyond my new version i've been testing for a few weeks and haven't released yet.

uses marquee file structure as agreed upon by kconger, venice and myself in a separate repo.
look for animated, if no look for static, if no just text
fewer static image loads to cut down on sd card wear and tear.

but i will defintely check out your code! panels look great btw. great job!

Code: Select all

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/* This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or* (at your option) any later version.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
* GNU General Public License for more details.
* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
* along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
* You can download the latest version of this code from:
* https://github.com/h3llb3nt/tty2rgbmatrix
*///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/* change notes
 * 2022/10/07
 * modified code to not use else if table to identity core sent by mister and set appropriate gif file.
 * we use /animated and /static folders and 0-9,A-Z subfolders for images and these are named the same
 * as the core name sent by MiSTer. this allows easier lookup using a simplier check and allows for static
 * image fallback if animated does not exist or text display fallback if no image exists on card.
 * folder structure on SDcard looks like this:
 * SDCARDROOT
 * │── animated
 * │   ├── 0
 * │   ├── 1
 * │   │   └── 1944.gif
 * │   ├── 2
 * │   ├ ...
 * │   ├── A
 * │   ├ ...
 * │   └── Z
 * └── static
 *     ├── 0
 *     ├── 1
 *     │   └── 1944.gif
 *     ├── 2
 *     ├ ...
 *     ├── A
 *     ├ ...
 *     └── Z
*/
/* tty2rgbmatrix sdcard edition 2022/09/18
 * loads gif files from an sdcard and play them on an rgb matrix based on serial input from MiSTer fpga
 * those code is know to work with arduino IDE 1.8.19 with the ESP32 package version 2.0.4 installed */
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// versions of the libraries used are commented below
// use other versions at your own peril
#include <ESP32-HUB75-MatrixPanel-I2S-DMA.h>  //v2.0.7 by mrfaptastic verifed to work
#include <AnimatedGIF.h>                      //v1.4.7 by larry bank verifed to work

#define FILESYSTEM SD
//#include "SD.h"                               //v1.2.4
#include <SD.h>
#include "SPI.h"

// Micro SD Card Module Pinout                // these pins below are known to work with this config on esp32 trinity boards by brian lough
//sd  to tri
//3v3 to 3v3
//gnd to gnd
//clk to 33
//do  to 32
//di  to sda
//cs  to scl

//#define HSPI_MISO 32
//#define HSPI_MOSI 21 //trinity pin labeled SDA
//#define HSPI_SCLK 33 
//#define HSPI_CS 22   //trinity pin labeled SCL

//my pin setup so my sdcard adapter (adafruit sdcard adapter) can just slot into the pin headers on the trinity board
#define HSPI_MISO 21 //trinity pin labeled SDA
#define HSPI_MOSI 32 
#define HSPI_SCLK 22 //trinity pin labeled SCL
#define HSPI_CS 33   

SPIClass *spi = NULL;

// ----------------- RGB MATRIX CONFIG ----------------- 
// more panel setup is found in the void setup() function!

const int panelResX = 64;        // Number of pixels wide of each INDIVIDUAL panel module.
const int panelResY = 32;        // Number of pixels tall of each INDIVIDUAL panel module.
const int panels_in_X_chain = 2; // Total number of panels in X
const int panels_in_Y_chain = 1; // Total number of panels in Y

const int totalWidth  = panelResX * panels_in_X_chain;  //used in span function
const int totalHeight = panelResY * panels_in_Y_chain;  //used in span function

MatrixPanel_I2S_DMA *dma_display = nullptr;

uint16_t myBLACK = dma_display->color565(0, 0, 0);
uint16_t myWHITE = dma_display->color565(255, 255, 255);
uint16_t myRED = dma_display->color565(255, 0, 0);
uint16_t myGREEN = dma_display->color565(0, 255, 0);
uint16_t myBLUE = dma_display->color565(0, 0, 255);

// ----------------- STRING READ CONFIG ----------
String newCORE = "";             // Received Text, from MiSTer without "\n\r" currently (2021-01-11)
String currentCORE = "";         // Buffer String for Text change detection
char newCOREArray[30]="";        // Array of char needed for some functions, see below "newCORE.toCharArray"
String gifPath ="";
String subFolder ="";
char chosenGIF[256] = { 0 };

// ----------------- ANIMATEDGIF LIBRARY STUFF -----------
AnimatedGIF gif;
bool animated_flag;
File f;
int x_offset, y_offset;
int16_t xPos = 0, yPos = 0; // Top-left pixel coord of GIF in matrix space

// ----------------- GIF DRAW Gif Draw Functions -------------------------

// Copy a horizontal span of pixels from a source buffer to an X,Y position
// in matrix back buffer, applying horizontal clipping. Vertical clipping is
// handled in GIFDraw() below -- y can safely be assumed valid here.
void span(uint16_t *src, int16_t x, int16_t y, int16_t width) {
  if (x >= totalWidth) return;     // Span entirely off right of matrix
  int16_t x2 = x + width - 1;      // Rightmost pixel
  if (x2 < 0) return;              // Span entirely off left of matrix
  if (x < 0) {                     // Span partially off left of matrix
    width += x;                    // Decrease span width
    src -= x;                      // Increment source pointer to new start
    x = 0;                         // Leftmost pixel is first column
  }
  if (x2 >= totalWidth) {      // Span partially off right of matrix
    width -= (x2 - totalWidth + 1);
  }
  while(x <= x2) {
    dma_display->drawPixel(x++, y, *src++);
  } 
} /* void span() */

// Draw a line of image directly on the LCD
void GIFDraw(GIFDRAW *pDraw) {
  uint8_t *s;
  uint16_t *d, *usPalette, usTemp[320];
  int x, y;

y = pDraw->iY + pDraw->y; // current line

// Vertical clip
  int16_t screenY = yPos + y; // current row on matrix
  if ((screenY < 0) || (screenY >= totalHeight)) return;

usPalette = pDraw->pPalette;

s = pDraw->pPixels;

// Apply the new pixels to the main image if (pDraw->ucHasTransparency) // if transparency used { uint8_t *pEnd, c, ucTransparent = pDraw->ucTransparent; int x, iCount; pEnd = s + pDraw->iWidth; x = 0; iCount = 0; // count non-transparent pixels while (x < pDraw->iWidth) { c = ucTransparent - 1; d = usTemp; while (c != ucTransparent && s < pEnd) { c = *s++; if (c == ucTransparent) // done, stop { s--; // back up to treat it like transparent } else // opaque {
*d++ = usPalette[c]; iCount++; } } // while looking for opaque pixels if (iCount) // any opaque pixels? {
span(usTemp, xPos + pDraw->iX + x, screenY, iCount); x += iCount; iCount = 0; }
// no, look for a run of transparent pixels c = ucTransparent; while (c == ucTransparent && s < pEnd) { c = *s++; if (c == ucTransparent) iCount++; else s--; } if (iCount) { x += iCount; // skip these iCount = 0; } } } else //does not have transparency {
s = pDraw->pPixels; // Translate the 8-bit pixels through the RGB565 palette (already byte reversed) for (x = 0; x < pDraw->iWidth; x++) usTemp[x] = usPalette[*s++]; span(usTemp, xPos + pDraw->iX, screenY, pDraw->iWidth); } } /* GIFDraw() */ void * GIFOpenFile(const char *fname, int32_t *pSize) { Serial.print("Playing gif: "); Serial.println(fname); f = FILESYSTEM.open(fname); if (f) { *pSize = f.size(); return (void *)&f; } return NULL; } /* GIFOpenFile() */ void GIFCloseFile(void *pHandle) { File *f = static_cast<File *>(pHandle); if (f != NULL) f->close(); } /* GIFCloseFile() */ int32_t GIFReadFile(GIFFILE *pFile, uint8_t *pBuf, int32_t iLen) { int32_t iBytesRead; iBytesRead = iLen; File *f = static_cast<File *>(pFile->fHandle); // Note: If you read a file all the way to the last byte, seek() stops working if ((pFile->iSize - pFile->iPos) < iLen) iBytesRead = pFile->iSize - pFile->iPos - 1; // <-- ugly work-around if (iBytesRead <= 0) return 0; iBytesRead = (int32_t)f->read(pBuf, iBytesRead); pFile->iPos = f->position(); return iBytesRead; } /* GIFReadFile() */ int32_t GIFSeekFile(GIFFILE *pFile, int32_t iPosition) { int i = micros(); File *f = static_cast<File *>(pFile->fHandle); f->seek(iPosition); pFile->iPos = (int32_t)f->position(); i = micros() - i; //Serial.printf("Seek time = %d us\n", i); return pFile->iPos; } /* GIFSeekFile() */ unsigned long start_tick = 0; void ShowGIF(char *name, bool animated) { start_tick = millis();
if (gif.open(name, GIFOpenFile, GIFCloseFile, GIFReadFile, GIFSeekFile, GIFDraw)) { x_offset = (MATRIX_WIDTH - gif.getCanvasWidth()) / 2; if (x_offset < 0) x_offset = 0; y_offset = (MATRIX_HEIGHT - gif.getCanvasHeight()) / 2; if (y_offset < 0) y_offset = 0; Serial.printf("Successfully opened GIF; Canvas size = %d x %d\n", gif.getCanvasWidth(), gif.getCanvasHeight()); Serial.flush(); if (animated) { Serial.println("animated gif flag found, playing whole gif"); while(gif.playFrame(true, NULL)) { //keep on playing unless... if (Serial.available()) { newCORE = Serial.readStringUntil('\n'); // Read string from serial until NewLine "\n" (from MiSTer's echo command) is detected or timeout (1000ms) happens. Serial.println(newCORE); if (newCORE!=currentCORE) { break; } } } } else { Serial.println("static gif flag found, playing 1st frame of gif"); while (!gif.playFrame(true, NULL)) { // leaving this break in here incase i need it for interrupting the the current playing gif in a future rev
if ( (millis() - start_tick) > 60000) // play first frame of non-animated gif and wait 10 seconds { //Serial.println("times up! breaking from play loop!"); break; } else { //Serial.print("."); if (Serial.available()) { newCORE = Serial.readStringUntil('\n'); // Read string from serial until NewLine "\n" (from MiSTer's echo command) is detected or timeout (1000ms) happens. Serial.println(newCORE); if (newCORE!=currentCORE) { break; } } gif.reset(); } } } Serial.println("closing gif file"); gif.close(); } } /* ShowGIF() */ void listDir(fs::FS &fs, const char * dirname, uint8_t levels) { Serial.printf("Listing directory: %s\n", dirname); File root = fs.open(dirname); if(!root){ Serial.println("Failed to open directory"); return; } if(!root.isDirectory()){ Serial.println("Not a directory"); return; } File file = root.openNextFile(); while (file) { if (file.isDirectory()) { Serial.print(" DIR : "); Serial.println(file.name()); if (levels) { listDir(fs, file.name(), levels -1); } } else { Serial.print(" FILE: "); Serial.print(file.name()); Serial.print(" SIZE: "); Serial.println(file.size()); } file = root.openNextFile(); } } //String gifDir = "/"; // play all GIFs in this directory on the SD card //char filePath[256] = { 0 }; //File root, gifFile;
void setup() { Serial.begin(115200); Serial.println();
//Mount SD Card, display some info and list files in /gifs folder to serial output Serial.println("Micro SD Card Mounting..."); spi = new SPIClass(HSPI); spi->begin(HSPI_SCLK, HSPI_MISO, HSPI_MOSI, HSPI_CS); SD.begin(HSPI_CS, *spi); delay(500); if (!SD.begin(HSPI_CS, *spi)) { Serial.println("Card Mount Failed"); return; }
uint8_t cardType = SD.cardType(); if (cardType == CARD_NONE) { Serial.println("No SD card attached"); return; } Serial.print("SD Card Type: "); if (cardType == CARD_MMC) { Serial.println("MMC"); } else if(cardType == CARD_SD){ Serial.println("SDSC"); } else if(cardType == CARD_SDHC){ Serial.println("SDHC"); } else { Serial.println("UNKNOWN"); } uint64_t cardSize = SD.cardSize() / (1024 * 1024); Serial.printf("SD Card Size: %lluMB\n", cardSize); // list files in /gifs folder to serial output // disabled 12/9/22 because this takes FOREVER to boot when the sdcard is populated and people think its not working //listDir(SD, "/", 2); Serial.printf("Total space: %lluMB\n", SD.totalBytes() / (1024 * 1024)); Serial.printf("Used space: %lluMB\n", SD.usedBytes() / (1024 * 1024)); // initialize gif object gif.begin(LITTLE_ENDIAN_PIXELS); // start display HUB75_I2S_CFG mxconfig( panelResX, // module width panelResY, // module height panels_in_X_chain // Chain length ); // If you are using a 64x64 matrix you need to pass a value for the E pin // The trinity connects GPIO 18 to the typical pin E. // This can be commented out for any smaller displays (but should work fine with it) //mxconfig.gpio.e = 18; //swap green and blue for my specific rgb panels mxconfig.gpio.b1 = 26; mxconfig.gpio.b2 = 12; mxconfig.gpio.g1 = 27; mxconfig.gpio.g2 = 13; // May or may not be needed depending on your matrix // Example of what needing it looks like: // https://github.com/mrfaptastic/ESP32-HUB75-MatrixPanel-I2S-DMA/issues/134#issuecomment-866367216 //mxconfig.clkphase = false; // Some matrix panels use different ICs for driving them and some of them have strange quirks. // If the display is not working right, try this. //mxconfig.driver = HUB75_I2S_CFG::FM6126A; dma_display = new MatrixPanel_I2S_DMA(mxconfig); dma_display->begin(); dma_display->setBrightness8(16); //0-255 dma_display->clearScreen();
//screen startup test (watch for dead or misfiring pixels) dma_display->fillScreen(myBLACK); delay(500); dma_display->fillScreen(myRED); delay(500); dma_display->fillScreen(myGREEN); delay(500); dma_display->fillScreen(myBLUE); delay(500); dma_display->fillScreen(myWHITE); delay(500); dma_display->clearScreen(); delay(500);
dma_display->setCursor(0, 0); dma_display->println("tty2rgbmatrix 2022/10/08"); delay(1000); dma_display->fillScreen(myBLACK);
// setup initial core to default to menu currentCORE = "NULL"; newCORE = "MENU"; } /* void setup() */ void loop() {
if (Serial.available()) { newCORE = Serial.readStringUntil('\n'); // Read string from serial until NewLine "\n" (from MiSTer's echo command) is detected or timeout (1000ms) happens. delay(10); Serial.printf("%s is oldcore, %s is newcore\n", String(currentCORE), String(newCORE)); }
if (newCORE!=currentCORE) // Proceed only if Core Name changed {
Serial.printf("Running a check because %s is oldcore, %s is newcore\n", String(currentCORE), String(newCORE)); //Serial.printf("setting animated flag to 1 since we assume animated"); animated_flag = true; // i assume animated gif is what you want to we default to that // -- First Transmission -- if (newCORE.endsWith("QWERTZ")); // TESTING: Process first Transmission after PowerOn/Reboot.
// -- Menu Core -- else if (newCORE=="MENU") {strcpy(chosenGIF, "/animated/M/menu.gif"); } //else if (newCORE=="hellbent") {strcpy(chosenGIF, "/animated/H/h3llb3nt.gif"); animated_flag=!animated_flag; } else if (newCORE=="error") {strcpy(chosenGIF, "/animated/E/error.gif"); } // -- Test Commands -- else if (newCORE=="cls") ;//do something else if (newCORE=="sorg") ;//do something else if (newCORE=="bye") ;//do something else { subFolder = String(newCORE[0]); //first letter of core is the subfolder to look in subFolder.toUpperCase(); //subfolders are capital, and numbers don't care about this function gifPath = String("/animated/" + subFolder + "/" + newCORE + ".gif"); //animated gif path string creation "/animated/X/x.gif" //Serial.print("animated gif path string is: ");Serial.println(gifPath); gifPath.toCharArray(chosenGIF,gifPath.length() +1); //sd.exists wants a character array, not a string... //Serial.print("char array chosenGIF is: ");Serial.println(chosenGIF); //Serial.printf("checking if animated image at %s exists", chosenGIF);Serial.println(); if (SD.exists(chosenGIF)) //check if path for animated file is extant or not! if so great! { Serial.printf("char array chosenGIF %s exists!", chosenGIF);Serial.println(); } else //animated gif path did not return a 1, so file does not exist, see if a static image is there { //Serial.printf("%s did not exist, checking if a static image does", chosenGIF);Serial.println(); gifPath = String("/static/" + subFolder + "/" + newCORE + ".gif"); //static gif path string creation "/static/X/x.gif" //Serial.print("static gif path string is: ");Serial.println(gifPath); gifPath.toCharArray(chosenGIF,gifPath.length() +1); //sd.exists wants a character array, not a string... //Serial.print("char array chosenGIF is: ");Serial.println(chosenGIF); //Serial.printf("checking if static image at %s exists", chosenGIF);Serial.println(); if (SD.exists(chosenGIF)) //check if path for static file is extant or not! if so great! { //Serial.println("checked if static image exists..."); //Serial.printf("char array chosenGIF %s exists!", chosenGIF);Serial.println(); animated_flag = false; //set static image boolean so gifdraw function knows its a single frame } else //static gif path did not return a 1 either, so no file at all. { //Serial.println("checked if static image exists..."); //Serial.printf("no animated or static file exists for newCORE: %s", newCORE);Serial.println(); strcpy(chosenGIF, "no-match"); newCORE.toCharArray(newCOREArray, newCORE.length()+1); } } } // end newCORE!=currentCORE } currentCORE=newCORE; // Update Buffer //no core change, show the current currentCORE gif //Serial.printf("%s is oldcore, %s is newcore, %s is chosenGIF\n", String(currentCORE), String(newCORE), chosenGIF); if (strcmp(chosenGIF,"no-match")) { if (SD.exists(chosenGIF)) // show gif! { ShowGIF(chosenGIF,animated_flag); } else //gif not found { Serial.printf("IMAGE FILE %s NOT FOUND!\n", chosenGIF); dma_display->clearScreen(); dma_display->setCursor(0, 0); dma_display->print(chosenGIF); dma_display->println(" not found"); delay(3000); } } else // show text on display of current gif { dma_display->clearScreen(); dma_display->setCursor(0, 0); dma_display->println(newCOREArray); delay(3000); }
} /* void loop() */

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

lui sito

Unread post by lui sito »

hellbent wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:56 pm

had some time during lunch and got the sdcard pins how i wanted them originally. standard header pins won't clear the power screw terminals so i used some longer ones.

sdcard_long_pins_sm.jpeg
sdcard_view_top_1.jpeg
sdcard_view_side_1.jpeg
sdcard_view_side_2.jpeg

Hi

fantastic work , can you put a pinout scheme for others micro sd adapters.. not adafruit. i have these for example.

adapter.jpg

the name of the pins of the adapter does not match that of the esp32trinity pins

its confused

thx

hellbent

i picked the adafruit sdcard adapter because it somewhat lined up with the default pinout of the trinity board but if you are gonna use a board with a different pinout here are some general guidelines...

1) sdcards are 3v3 and so if you have 3v3 on your board use it. the board in the image you sent has an AMS1117-3.3 voltage regulator that looks like it can step voltage down to 3v3. but im not 100% sure of that. im also not sure what it does if you supply only 3v3 to it and not a higher voltage that it would be expecting.
2) SPI uses all sorts of different names for essentially the same thing. MISO and MOSI are Master IN Slave OUT and Master OUT Slave In respectively. those terms have been super ceded by SDA and SDO or DATA_IN and DATA_OUT etc. the are the SPI equivalent of TX and RX for serial.
3) CS is chip select, used when multple devices are on the same SPI bus
4) SCK is the clock pin.

so if you want to use your board with the sketch as its configured on the github you would connect the following by using some male to female dupont jumper wires. also if you fry it don't blame me! but this is what i would try.

CS goes to pin 33 on the trinity
SCK goes to SCL on the trinity
MOSI goes to pin 32 on the trinity
MISO goes to SDA on the trinity
VCC goes to 3v3 on the trinity (but based on your sdcard adpter, you may have to supply 5v but i'm not sure, i'd start with 3v3 tho).
GND goes to GND on the trinity

with all that said, you CAN change the sketch to more closely match your pins if you want. but i'd start with this and see how that goes first. also make sure your sd card is a good one and formatted appropriately. ive had trouble with some low quaility or older cards and have had to re-format them to get the sketch to boot without a traceback error.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

Miru

Unread post by Miru »

Thanks for your hard work on this project.

I can't get the brightness to change in the new SD version. I managed to change it before with the value in dma_display->setBrightness8(128); //0-255
I tried different values but it doesnt change and it always draws the same amount of current too.

Another note: I can't get your newest version to complile for the ESP32 Dev Module. It gives me an error:

"\tty2rgbmatrix-main\arduino\tty2rgbmatrix\tty2rgbmatrixx\bootloader.bin" kann syntaktisch an dieser Stelle nicht verarbeitet werden.

exit status 1

Compilation error: exit status 1

The older version i downloaded some time ago works though (It has the issue with the brightness though)

hellbent

well that's unfortunate... let me just bite the bullet and push the new version i've been testing.

what arduino IDE version are you using as well as what version of the AnimatedGif and ESP_HUB75_LED_MATRIX_PANEL_DMA libraries are you using?

here's what i am using and i can compile no issue in IDE 1.8.19 (i don't care for 2 thus far)

Code: Select all

Using library ESP32_HUB75_LED_MATRIX_PANEL_DMA_Display at version 2.0.7 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESP32_HUB75_LED_MATRIX_PANEL_DMA_Display 
Using library Adafruit_GFX_Library at version 1.11.3 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library 
Using library Adafruit_BusIO at version 1.13.2 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_BusIO 
Using library Wire at version 1.0.1 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.6\libraries\Wire 
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.6\libraries\SPI 
Using library AnimatedGIF-1.4.7 at version 1.4.7 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\Documents\Arduino\libraries\AnimatedGIF-1.4.7 
Using library SD at version 1.0.5 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.6\libraries\SD 
Using library FS at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\hellbent\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.6\libraries\FS 

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

hellbent

just pushed the no if/else table version and double checked it compiles and it works great for me. and the brightness works as well. with no diffusion acrylic on it i keep it at 16 but if i change it to 64 from that its definitely brighter.

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

Miru

Unread post by Miru »

After reinstalling the Arduino IDE (which didn't solve the problem) i figured out the issue:
Take the tty2rgbmatrix.ino out of the downloaded folder (dowload ZIP from github), put it somewhere and let arduino make a new foldêr. And voila: It compiles.

And the brightness changes now too.
Strange issue

Sliff2000

Unread post by Sliff2000 »

So I have a ESP32-Trinity board that I successfully uploaded and everything looks great. I wanted to screw around and see if I can add another panel which I changed on line 111. Compiles no issue -- but when it goes to upload I get:

I also tried the OTA and I get Method Not Allowed

I had the trinity unpluged from the led boards and only plugged into the usb to my pc. I

Obviously I'm doing something wrong -- any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks ((Fortunately it is still working!))

hellbent

tty2rgbmatrix doesn't use OTA for updates, web2rgbmatrix does tho so i think you may be confused on where to post this issue. you might using kconger's version from this thread viewtopic.php?t=5330

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

Sliff2000

Unread post by Sliff2000 »

Sorry man.... need to stop drinking wine before working on this stuff.