MiSTer Video Options for HDMI / Component / S-Video / Composite / RGB / CRT / JAMMA etc - A Flowchart Diagram

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
matijaerceg

MiSTer Video Options for HDMI / Component / S-Video / Composite / RGB / CRT / JAMMA etc - A Flowchart Diagram

Unread post by matijaerceg »

DbFDIxm.png
DbFDIxm.png (81.78 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Flowchart of MiSTer Video Options on Figma/FigJam

I've spent some time compiling all the possible video output paths for MiSTer into a flowchart to help people who are trying to grasp them, especially on the analog side. I'm posting here in hopes people find it helpful, but also to gather feedback in terms of whether there is anything missing or incorrect.

I'm hoping to cover all non-rare use cases, so please let me know if there's anything that could be added. If new boards come out, they'll be easy enough to add as well to the FigJam. All feedback welcome! Thanks.

Also, below is a diagram specifically regarding differences in Composite video methods, since there's some confusion around using stock versus MikeS Y/C Cores, and things like luma trap, dot crawl, rainbow artifacting, etc:

wEzJuEA.png
wEzJuEA.png (65.9 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

Figma/FigJam Diagram for Composite Video specifically

Here's a diagram for just the Y/C Output options, now that Y/C framework from MikeS has been added to main:

Figma/FigJam Diagram for Y/C options specifically

CHANGELOG:

Code: Select all

added Ironclad Mini-ITX with genesis 2 port to rgb scart or component
added note to HDMI port about Digital IO board users
added "YPbPr" to component cable labels
added 1536p on HDMI for retina ipad displays
added a stereo > mono composite on Y/C cores with no luma trap
added note about saturn > RGBs RCA
added note about 24 bit color to direct video
added note about saturn/genesis compatibility
added HDMI > DVI path
changed VGA outputs to HD15
added the second CMOS level HD15 to mistercade, and pointed it to the tri-sync monitors
added 'CRT' to some output names on the far right; added title at top
added a Composite diagram
replaced ultimatemister placeholder with MisterAddons active YC board
added Y/C diagram with minor tweaks
Chilli_Vibes

Re: MiSTer Video Options for HDMI / Component / S-Video / Composite / RGB / CRT / JAMMA etc - A Flowchart Diagram

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Is it possible to go from HDMI to BNC ?
I was thinking, Directvideo via HDMI to VGA adapter, then VGA to BNC. Although, I am not sure if all these conversion chains will result in some lag.
Basically, I want to use my 2 Sony PVMs at the same time, my current 14" PVM to stay as a horizontal monitor (currently using VGA to SCART adapter, then from SCART to BNC), and a smaller 9" PVM to use as a vertical monitor using the HDMI port.

matijaerceg

Re: MiSTer Video Options for HDMI / Component / S-Video / Composite / RGB / CRT / JAMMA etc - A Flowchart Diagram

Yes, the path from HDMI to dongle to various analog outputs (including the VGA>BNC cable) is on there in light blue. Lag should be same as via Analog board.

felleg

Unread post by felleg »

This is fantastic! Thank you for maintaining this chart, this will make it easier for a lot of people to figure out how to connect their de-10 to their display devices!

matijaerceg

Added a diagram for composite. Please let me know if there are any composite converters or adapters or y/c breakout boards I'm missing that I should add to the diagram. 🙏

german_user

Unread post by german_user »

Nice work, well done

felleg

Unread post by felleg »

Where was the announcement for the upcoming ultimatemister active adapter for y/c cores?

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Anyway to save a local copy of these diagrams?

matijaerceg

felleg wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:06 pm

Where was the announcement for the upcoming ultimatemister active adapter for y/c cores?

This is the closest thing I can find: https://twitter.com/ricardosaraiva/stat ... 3286385664 but MikeS has mentioned he's working on it with them.

kubbie wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:28 pm

Anyway to save a local copy of these diagrams?

You may need to be logged in to Figma to export a file, but in case you don't want to do that, here's the current versions of the diagrams as jpg:

Mister video options diagram:

CENmoDX.jpeg
CENmoDX.jpeg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 1627 times

Composite diagram:

B4plSCe.jpeg
B4plSCe.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 1627 times
Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

In regards to the flowchart for composite, the only issues I've seen with Antonio's active adaptor are 2 people using s-video. Can speak for the composite?

matijaerceg

Longtime4321 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:04 am

Can speak for the composite?

I can't speak for the new version of antonio's 'MikeS1' board personally. I would love it if someone posted video or images confirming composite working on it with the luma trap on the proper side this time, and no other issues on a CRT.

Are people having issues with s-video on it?

matijaerceg

yay, MisterAddons has released an active YC core board for s-video/composite, and has also mentioned he's still working on his own board with good s-video but dot crawl for composite: https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status ... 9813518337

im still wondering if anyone's tried antonio's active yc adapter..

also wondering if any other boards are being worked one by anyone