PS1 Based Arcade Boards

dcubed

PS1 Based Arcade Boards

Unread post by dcubed »

Was just wondering the other day about the possiblity of the PS1 MISTer core being adapted and used to get the various PS1-based arcade boards up and running on the Arcade side of MiSTer... There's quite a lot of great arcade games that all run on PS1-based hardware, some with only mild changes from the base console hardware and some with more substantial upgrades (such as the Namco System 12); but I was wondering how feasible it would be to get these arcade cores made by using the existing PS1 MiSTer core as a base...
List of PS1-based Arcade Hardware
Capcom Sony ZN-1
Capcom Sony ZN-2
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani System 573 Analog
Konami Bemani System 573 Digital
Konami Bemani Twinkle
Konami GQ System
Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
Konami System 573
Konami System 573 Satellite Terminal
Namco System 10
Namco System 11
Namco System 12
Taito FX-1A System
Taito FX-1B System
Taito G-NET System
Your PS1 core is amazing FPGAzumSpass! I'd love to hear from you about how feasible some of these arcade cores would be to make on MiSTer! :D
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: PS1 Based Arcade Boards

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The ones running with 48mhz CPU might be a stretch, but could be possible.
The ones with original clock are probably "just work".

In terms of space: as some parts can very likely be removed, most should be able to fit.
In worst case the additional features like the filtering, Turbo and savestates have to be removed.

That being said: i will not work on them. I think the effort it takes is not worth it compared to what you get.
I will not spend several moths for a handful of games.
Many games are also available on the ps1 itself.
dcubed

Unread post by dcubed »

That's good to know. Thanks!

I totally get not wanting to dedicate your own time to this (given that a good chunk of those games did get PS1 ports), but hopefully someone else takes up the mantle at some point. Would be nice to see the likes of the original arcade Soul Calibur and Tetris: The Grand Master come to MiSTer (especially seen as they've never had arcade accurate home ports before; and in some cases, like TGM, any home ports at all).
Bumtree

Unread post by Bumtree »

dcubed wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:55 pm That's good to know. Thanks!

Would be nice to see the likes of the original arcade Soul Calibur and Tetris: The Grand Master come to MiSTer (especially seen as they've never had arcade accurate home ports before; and in some cases, like TGM, any home ports at all).
TGM received a ZN-2 to PSX port / conversion:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5607/
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Funny, it even has a review from may with someone testing it on the core :)
Jim Mack

Unread post by Jim Mack »

Tenkomori Shooting is the only one that comes to mind that is unported. Looks like it would be one of the more difficult ones. Runs well in MAME. Worth checking out. It is like the Point Blank of shmups.
VickiViperZabel

Unread post by VickiViperZabel »

I think it's worth considering that some of the PS1 ports aren't quite ideal either

the PS1 versions of the SFEX games are known to have stuttering problems

funny thing too, an earlier version of the PS1 core actually didn't recreate those issues, but as the core's become more accurate, those issues with the ports started happening
Telemachus

Unread post by Telemachus »

dcubed wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Was just wondering the other day about the possiblity of the PS1 MISTer core being adapted and used to get the various PS1-based arcade boards up and running on the Arcade side of MiSTer... There's quite a lot of great arcade games that all run on PS1-based hardware, some with only mild changes from the base console hardware and some with more substantial upgrades (such as the Namco System 12); but I was wondering how feasible it would be to get these arcade cores made by using the existing PS1 MiSTer core as a base...

List of PS1-based Arcade Hardware
Capcom Sony ZN-1
Capcom Sony ZN-2
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani System 573 Analog
Konami Bemani System 573 Digital
Konami Bemani Twinkle
Konami GQ System
Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
Konami System 573
Konami System 573 Satellite Terminal
Namco System 10
Namco System 11
Namco System 12
Taito FX-1A System
Taito FX-1B System
Taito G-NET System

Your PS1 core is amazing FPGAzumSpass! I'd love to hear from you about how feasible some of these arcade cores would be to make on MiSTer! :D

In terms of impressive PS1 arcade based exclusive games not on PS1 you are probably looking at something like this.

[CAPCOM SONY ZN-2]

Star Gladiator 2 : Nightmare of Bilstein / Plasma Sword (DC)
Tech Romancer / Tyoukousenki Kikaioh (DC)
Tetris : The Grand Master (PS4/Switch)

[NAMCO SYSTEM 11]

Dancing Eyes
Dunk Mania
Pocket Racer "Chibi Ridge Racer Game"
Prime Goal EX

[NAMCO SYSTEM 12]

Aqua Rush
Fighting Layer
Golgo 13
Golgo 13 Juusei no Requiem
Golgo 13 Kiseki no Dandou
Soul Calibur (DC)
Techno drive
Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
Tenkomori Shooting
Truck Kyosokyoku (PS2)

[TAITO FX-1A/B]

Psychic Force EX
Fighters' Impact A

[TAITO G-NET]

Flip Maze
Kollon (PSP)
Psyvariar : Medium Unit (PS2)
Psyvariar : Revision (PS2)
Space Invaders Anniversary (PS2)
Super Puzzle Bobble (PS2/N64/GC)
Turn It Around (DS)
XII Stag (PS2)
Zooo

Seeing some of those games run on a MiSTer FPGA would be pretty impressive as you will never see DC or PS2 FPGA implementation in a decade or more. :lol: I'd say Namco System 11/12 probably have the crowd favorites.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So I see the Konami Bemani System 573 and Namco system 11 /12 being a high priority and would give the biggest bang for the effort. Having FPGA DDR and konami rhythm games and heavy hitters in the arcade fighting scene with soul edge and Tekken series would

Explore system16 and see what the various boards and their games.

I personally would love to see the Namco systems Taito had the best shooters and the Capcom systems mainly had Streetfighter EX games. The main problem I would see that may make this not worth the time is if there were crazy copy protections that would complicate a core being made that and any extra components as the PSX core seems to be maxing out the DE-10 nano.

Here is a video about the konami 573 board encase anyone is interested.

Fear is the mind killer!
Telemachus

Unread post by Telemachus »

redsteakraw wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:35 pm

So I see the Konami Bemani System 573 and Namco system 11 /12 being a high priority and would give the biggest bang for the effort. Having FPGA DDR and konami rhythm games and heavy hitters in the arcade fighting scene with soul edge and Tekken series would

Explore system16 and see what the various boards and their games.

I personally would love to see the Namco systems Taito had the best shooters and the Capcom systems mainly had Streetfighter EX games. The main problem I would see that may make this not worth the time is if there were crazy copy protections that would complicate a core being made that and any extra components as the PSX core seems to be maxing out the DE-10 nano.

Here is a video about the konami 573 board encase anyone is interested.

I didn't mention the Konami Bemani as I think most of the DDR games and other spin off rhythm games got home versions on PS1. Although track differences probably exists.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Telemachus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:55 pm

I didn't mention the Konami Bemani as I think most of the DDR games and other spin off rhythm games got home versions on PS1. Although track differences probably exists.

There are so many different versions plus all the guitar and drum games plus the Martial Beat. Being able to put a MiSTer in any of these machines might be a fun proposition

Fear is the mind killer!