Just Starting Out With MiSTer Some Basic Questions?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
insanityprawnboy

Re: Just Starting Out With MiSTer Some Basic Questions?

Unread post by insanityprawnboy »

grizzly wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:17 pm

Blisster can use two different "cables/adapters".
It can use a regular USB cable or adapter OR it can use a "LLAPI cable".
LLAPI cable is a HDMI plug on one end and a certain controller port on the other like DB9/PSX/SNES and so on.

LLAPI=Low Latency API
Too utilize the full LLAPI potential you also need LLAPI cores which needs to be downloaded separately OR use download all and go into settings and enable LLAPI to download the LLAPI cores.
Some cores do not have a LLAPI core at all like many computer and arcade cores.

But if no LLAPI core is used you can still use the LLAPI cables since the "HDMI input port" will work in regular usb mode then.

And like it said in the web page and video i linked it seems like the flashback controllers is not wired the same as a regular Intellivision controller, and "regular" DB9 adapter will probably not work, and the LLAPI DB9 to HDMI adapter will most likely not work either.

And what is the DB9 adapter you bought?
Is it a regular DB9 to usb adapter or is it "DB9 to HDMI"? Something else?

If it is a DB9 to usb i would normally say try and see if it works on a pc to see if it works at all.
BUT i´m not sure i will since there can be problems if somethings is not wired correctly.
I can´t remember exactly which controllers/system it is but if you for example plug in a sega megadrive/genesis controller into a C-64 (or the other way around) there is a chance that you will burn out the controller or the port.

For you the usb port will probably be fine but the controller or the adapter could be in risk.

This is the cable I ordered, a DB9 to HDMI
https://ultimatemister.com/product/blis ... commodore/

insanityprawnboy

grizzly wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:17 pm

Blisster can use two different "cables/adapters".
It can use a regular USB cable or adapter OR it can use a "LLAPI cable".
LLAPI cable is a HDMI plug on one end and a certain controller port on the other like DB9/PSX/SNES and so on.

LLAPI=Low Latency API
Too utilize the full LLAPI potential you also need LLAPI cores which needs to be downloaded separately OR use download all and go into settings and enable LLAPI to download the LLAPI cores.
Some cores do not have a LLAPI core at all like many computer and arcade cores.

But if no LLAPI core is used you can still use the LLAPI cables since the "HDMI input port" will work in regular usb mode then.

And like it said in the web page and video i linked it seems like the flashback controllers is not wired the same as a regular Intellivision controller, and "regular" DB9 adapter will probably not work, and the LLAPI DB9 to HDMI adapter will most likely not work either.

And what is the DB9 adapter you bought?
Is it a regular DB9 to usb adapter or is it "DB9 to HDMI"? Something else?

If it is a DB9 to usb i would normally say try and see if it works on a pc to see if it works at all.
BUT i´m not sure i will since there can be problems if somethings is not wired correctly.
I can´t remember exactly which controllers/system it is but if you for example plug in a sega megadrive/genesis controller into a C-64 (or the other way around) there is a chance that you will burn out the controller or the port.

For you the usb port will probably be fine but the controller or the adapter could be in risk.

Not sure why, I posted my reply twice, but I can't see it when I look. Maybe it's because I added a link to the comment.

Anyway, it's the LLAPI cable.

Edit: I just realised why I couldn't see my previous two comments. They both went over to page two on this thread and I didn't realise.

I just found this, on another thread: A member wrote: " I'm using Intellvision Flashback controllers plugged in through an Ultimate PC Interface. It works well with MiSTer and I'm able to map two controllers for players 1 & 2. This interface plugs into the MiSTer through USB and connects to a variety of DB9 connector controllers, such as Flashback, INTV2, Atari 2600 and Colecovision controllers."

viewtopic.php?t=598&start=25

grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Yes that is the right cable for the blisster and DB9 controllers.

If you go to the http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/i ... erface.php link from the post you linked.
It says

• Intellivision Hand Controllers (non-Flashback) - left switch UP, right switch DOWN

Indicating that flashback controllers do not behave or are wired the same.

And according to this forum post in the blissbox forum you need to rewire or use an adapter to get the flashback controllers working.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/blissbo ... -t697.html
Then on top of that intellivision controllers need to a button hold down when connected like i said.

ah! i was just reading through your support page and i realized that you have to hold the bottom right button when plugging in an intellivision controller. i'll try this tonight!

insanityprawnboy

grizzly wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:48 pm

Yes that is the right cable for the blisster and DB9 controllers.

If you go to the http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/i ... erface.php link from the post you linked.
It says

• Intellivision Hand Controllers (non-Flashback) - left switch UP, right switch DOWN

Indicating that flashback controllers do not behave or are wired the same.

And according to this forum post in the blissbox forum you need to rewire or use an adapter to get the flashback controllers working.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/blissbo ... -t697.html
Then on top of that intellivision controllers need to a button hold down when connected like i said.

ah! i was just reading through your support page and i realized that you have to hold the bottom right button when plugging in an intellivision controller. i'll try this tonight!

About an hour ago or so I ordered 'The Ultimate PC Interface for Classic Consoles' (Version 2) from here: http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/i ... erface.php
As that's what the other forum member said he was using for his Flashback console with his MiSTer.

It's turned out to be quite expensive, what with the shipping, picking up a Flashback controller from the U.S (to the UK) via Ebay, and now the Ultimate PC Interface (also from the U.S).

But at least that should work! The DB9 I can use for my ArcadeR joysticks.

ctrl_alt_delete

Unread post by ctrl_alt_delete »

New to MiSTer, just built and about to do the install.

I have purchased a 512mb SD and have the SD card that came with, am I correct in thinking I can leave the primary as is and add the 512mb in the secondary or should I just pop the 512mb in primary and discard the other?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Set aside the primary et replace it with the 512MB one (after having prepared it using Mr Fusion).
The secondary SD card is used only by very few cores and is not even necessary as these cores can also use disk images from the primary SD card.

Hectic

Unread post by Hectic »

I'd use the original one. You cant install Mr Fusion in a card with less than 2GB space.