Professor Pac-Man

seastalker

Professor Pac-Man

Unread post by seastalker »

I am happy to wait for an eventual Pac Man Jr core, but while doing a deep dive on Pac Man games, I seemed to remember one called Professor Pac-Man as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Pac-Man

Apparently in the real hardware world, some parts are insanely difficult to replace. I can see why: The wiki states "Only 400 cabinets were made; approximately 300 of these were returned to the manufacturer and converted to Pac-Land cabinets the following year."

I'd bet some of those remaining cabinets could use a MiSTer core if no other hardware replacement was possible. From a PRESERVATION standpoint, let's hope this one isn't too tricky to do. I don't know the hardware differences (if any) to other PacMan games, but if conversions were made to Pac-Land, that may be a place to start.

Any fans of the Prof. here?

jca
Top Contributor

Re: Professor Pac-Man

Unread post by jca »

seastalker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:52 pm

I am happy to wait for an eventual Pac Man Jr core,...

In Alternative there are 4 of them: Pacman Jr. (Maze 1) - HBMame.mra. With 4 different mazes. These are HB roms so it may not be what you are looking for.

macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

Professor pacman ran on a version of the bally astrocade hardware with different graphics hardware giving 16 colours and it also had masses of banked rom (768k)

it uses the same custom chips used by Gorf, Wizard of Wor, Robby Roto etc.

Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

I own a real prof pac-man arcade cab. The pcb died and a buddy of mine put mame in it and now it works. He even got all the flashing lights to work just like the real game.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

shertz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:56 pm

I own a real prof pac-man arcade cab. The pcb died and a buddy of mine put mame in it and now it works. He even got all the flashing lights to work just like the real game.

Do you still have that pcb?

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:59 am

Yea

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

shertz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:32 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:59 am

Yea

That might help, if a developer decides to work on this core, if there are no (good) schematics available.