Possible Sound Quality Improvement?

xFlesk

Possible Sound Quality Improvement?

Unread post by xFlesk »

hello
i did not see anyone was mentioning that. there is a nice trick to make nes sounds better.
found it while exploring YT ;)

do you think its possible to implement such a feature into nes core ? of course as optional ;)

TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Possible Sound Quality Improvement?

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Its not relevent to the NES core. Its a fantasy sound chip that never existed. You may as well replace the NES chip with a 32 voice chip.
In terms of accuracy its not even close.

xFlesk

Unread post by xFlesk »

thank you for answer. im not a fpga or nes guru ;) i was sure he was "fixing" actual (emulated) chip
little bit shame because overal this sounds amazing ;)
cheers

TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

No he is taking the NES chip output and making it perfect in his view. So the original NES chip did have the stepped waveform for the Triangle. All the original music was developed with this in mind. His imporvements are a fantasy chip that never existed. You can argue its better but its like fitting a vast faster processor and saying look no slow downs.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

It would be kinda nice as an option, assuming it's possible to implement. There's already plenty of things about MiSTer that are better/different than original hardware.

But I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't want to spend time working on it.

Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

This isn't realistic to the hardware design or timing of the system, and it would just sound like a poorly made clone or emulator of the system, as the many eccentricities of the sound chip were used heavily by developers of the era both in the music and in creating the many sound effects of games. It's actually pretty remiss for the person who made that youtube video to even call this something as arrogant as a "perfect" NES chip, as it's anything but that. It's a fantasy chip that would not improve the accuracy or quality of the NES audio at all, but rather make it sound pretty broken in a lot of circumstances.

Topbravo

Unread post by Topbravo »

I think best case would be creating a NSF core that makes use of these chip augmentations. But I agree with everyone else, there’s a reason why the composers chose the the tracker code that they did, to augment that would be changing the music at its very core and would no longer be represented as OST/SE