SNES Controller Option?

WhiteHat94

SNES Controller Option?

Unread post by WhiteHat94 »

Is it possible to add SNES controller as a control option thru USB? There are a few homebrew games that let you use a SNES controller (thru SNES to NES adapter) and make use of the additional buttons. It would be nice if this was a possible option so you could select SNES controller (I guess as a peripheral option?) and not have to buy a SNAC adapter to be able to use this feature for those games.

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: SNES Controller Option?

Unread post by Malor »

The Daemonbite adapters will let you hook various console controllers up via USB. They add about 1ms of latency versus a SNAC adapter, but in exchange, you can use the SNES controller to drive the menus. A SNAC controller talks only to its one specific core, so you need something else for the Mister's menus.

They're open source, so you can build one yourself, or buy one from someone else. The SNES adapters seem to be out of stock on the main Daemonbite site; the listed price is 20 euros. Other sites may have them, I haven't looked further.

WhiteHat94

I have a Raphnet SNES adapter, and that works great as a regular NES controller, but the core won't recognize it as a SNES controller with it's additional buttons. I'm asking if it's possible to have the core do that, and fully interpret it as a SNES controller, as a console does with a simple SNES to NES controller cord.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Can you provide an example homebrew game that lets you do this?

birdybro~
WhiteHat94

Spook-o-tron and the new Full Quiet are the main ones I know of and would be interested in playing like this, but there might be some others.

Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

I don't think this is really an appropriate addition. None of the major emulators have this feature, the real hardware obviously doesn't natively have ports that fit snes controllers, and I think it introduces a slippery slope for peripherals, as technically you can read from 4016 forever if you want and use anything with any early-nintendo compatible serial protocol this way. It's probably best to not open up that can of worms. The last thing i'd want to see is people junking up input options with a dozen random peripherals from other systems. You end up with the same nightmare as atari consoles that way. If you want to use the wrong controller for the system, SNAC is always an option, otherwise embrace the fact that the system had two buttons and make appropriate games for it.

WhiteHat94

Gotcha, thanks for the answer. Makes sense. Just wanted to see if it was realistic without purchasing additional SNAC stuff, since I don't have any. I'll either do console or get SNAC adapters eventually.