Atari 7800 / 2600

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Atari 7800 / 2600

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I received my Daptor d9 adapters and the paddle support for them, that Kitrinx added to this core, is really impressive. It works very smoothly and even supports four paddles (tried it with Video Olympics that we used to play when I was a kid).

I hope the other cores, like the Commodore ones, can get support added as well. I should make some request tickets. I'd love to play VIC-20 Omega Race using a paddle on the MiSTer. The C64 core has paddle options, but those don't seem to be compatible.

It already works with some of the arcade cores that support analog input. Often selecting 'paddle' as the input type doesn't work though, as that expects a MiSTer Spinner protocol. This might be confusing for newcomers. I also think the Daptor is a more elegant solution, as you don't have to modify your original paddle controllers for it.

AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:16 pm

I received my Daptor d9 adapters and the paddle support for them, that Kitrinx added to this core, is really impressive. It works very smoothly and even supports four paddles (tried it with Video Olympics that we used to play when I was a kid).

I hope the other cores, like the Commodore ones, can get support added as well. I should make some request tickets. I'd love to play VIC-20 Omega Race using a paddle on the MiSTer. The C64 core has paddle options, but those don't seem to be compatible.

It already works with some of the arcade cores that support analog input. Often selecting 'paddle' as the input type doesn't work though, as that expects a MiSTer Spinner protocol. This might be confusing for newcomers. I also think the Daptor is a more elegant solution, as you don't have to modify your original paddle controllers for it.

Me too I would like to see C64 but in particular Vic 20 gain paddles support!

AmintaMister

Please, can you write here a brief trial on how to match your working configuration? Thanks in advance!

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

AmintaMister wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:30 am

Please, can you write here a brief trial on how to match your working configuration? Thanks in advance!

To not have to configure the paddles in the main MiSTer menu, copy the file here to config/inputs on MiSTer:
viewtopic.php?p=66551#p66551

Set all dip switches on the Daptor D9 to the down position, for Atari 2600 mode. You could also use the auto-detect mode, but then you'd have to press a paddle button while connecting the USB plug.

With two Daptor D9s, you can use up to four paddles.

If you want, you can use another controller together with the paddles, to navigate the menus and control the 2600 console buttons.

In the 7800/2600 core menu, set the peripherals Port1 Input (and Port2 Input when using four paddles) to 'Paddle'.

Turn a paddle knob to have it detected as an input, a message should pop up on your screen.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

If I am having problems, I connect the D9 to a Windows PC and open the USB Game Controllers control panel, click on properties and make sure the controllers are working right in Windows. Then I move them back to the MiSTer and get them working there. If the D9 isn't detecting the controller right, the MiSTer won't work with it, and Windows helps to test that.

AmintaMister

Thanks LamerDeluxe and Thorr!

I have these three adapters in picture but none of them seems to work with the .map files.

If I configure them in main mister Menu, in 7800 core it works or the know or the button, but not the two together...

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

The one on the left is the type that I use. If you haven't already, make sure it works in Windows with your paddles. Then look in your MiSTer.ini and see if you have defined anything for the core there and comment it out. I think on the previous page or so, I detailed exactly the steps I took to make it work with the map files.

AmintaMister

Ok, I've reset the previous configurations and now it perfectly works, thanks!