GRS Trackball

Zeosstud

GRS Trackball

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Hello,
I was curious if anyone out there is using a GRS Trackball on their Mister device, specifically for Centipede. I have the U-trak one setup currently and even though I have the settings in Centipede set to 200%, it still take me, 3 spins to get from the left to the right, just seems like this is a bit to much, would love any feedback on ways to improve this. My Mistercade it working great and enjoying several games on my CRT monitor, I feel super lucky to have it, just trying to dial some things in going forward.

Thanks,

Zeosstud

Hetzen

Re: GRS Trackball

Unread post by Hetzen »

I have one on order so can't comment on sensitivity yet.

Have you got any mouse throttling set in your ini?

Zeosstud

Hello,
Thanks for the reply, I messed with the throttling settings, but I could not find a setting that made things better, only worse. With some effort I can do some testing with an actual Happ Trackball also, will be a bit.

Zeosstud

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Zeosstud wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:32 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the reply, I messed with the throttling settings, but I could not find a setting that made things better, only worse. With some effort I can do some testing with an actual Happ Trackball also, will be a bit.

Zeosstud

I've just tried the GRS Trackball and although Centipede is playable, i think there could be a 400% option in the menu.

Zeosstud

Thanks for the update, so, I agree, like 100%, sounds like it really does not matter what trackball is used. They work, they are accurate, but it just feels like it takes a lot of effort to get from one side to the other. GRS, Happ and U-Trak all confirmed.

Hey @jimmystones any thoughts on a possible addition to the centipede core

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Missile Command could do with more sensitivity as well, have you tried your trackballs on that game yet?

jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

It's crazy how wide the range of sensitivity on these devices is! I thought 25%-200% was going to be enough :)

I've sent @zeosstud a test version with 400%, if it works ok I can roll the same change back into MC no worries.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Brilliant stuff. Looking forward to trying the change out.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

jimmystones wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:12 pm

It's crazy how wide the range of sensitivity on these devices is! I thought 25%-200% was going to be enough :)

I've sent @zeosstud a test version with 400%, if it works ok I can roll the same change back into MC no worries.

We need it to go to 11 !

jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

I've just pushed a new version with a 400% speed option, should be available for update within an hour or so...

ptiphl

Unread post by ptiphl »

I am using the GRS Trackball (non-pro) with MiSTer, as well, in a new combo Tron stick/spinner & trackball panel I built.

Centipede 800%?
The trackball works fine for Centipede, though as I think was mentioned in another thread or forum, I really think an 800% setting would be useful. Even at 400%, it feels a bit slow for me.

Missile Command Issue
Also, for some reason, even though the trackball is recognized in the Input Test core as a mouse and works with Centipede and Marble Madness, it's not recognized by the Missile Command core. Has anyone had this issue? Suggestions?

Attachments
IMG_5389.jpeg
IMG_5389.jpeg (704.66 KiB) Viewed 942 times
J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

ptiphl wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:29 pm

I am using the GRS Trackball (non-pro) with MiSTer, as well, in a new combo Tron stick/spinner & trackball panel I built.

Centipede 800%?
The trackball works fine for Centipede, though as I think was mentioned in another thread or forum, I really think an 800% setting would be useful. Even at 400%, it feels a bit slow for me.

Missile Command Issue
Also, for some reason, even though the trackball is recognized in the Input Test core as a mouse and works with Centipede and Marble Madness, it's not recognized by the Missile Command core. Has anyone had this issue? Suggestions?

That is a cool little unit! Nice work! I may need to try something similar. I built a big, free standing dual control setup, but it would be nice to have something like this when it's just me, or I need some more unique controls. May lay out a panel today. :)

ptiphl

Unread post by ptiphl »

ptiphl wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:29 pm

Missile Command Issue

OK, I solved the Missile Command issue. It appears "Joystick" has to be set to "Analog" (vs. Digital) for the trackball to be recognized.

However, Missile Command has the same problem with the GRS Trackball as Centipede. It really needs an 800%. The current max of 200% is nearly impossible to play.

The best solution would be a firmware update for the GRS Trackball to speed things up everywhere.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Thanks Jimmy; there is actually an unofficial Centipede build with 800% that's been floating around this forum for a while, I've been using it with the Egret II mini trackball/spinner as it basically needs 800% to be playable.

To me the best solution for these lower-speed trackballs would be to allow for negative mouse throttle in mister.ini, i.e. acceleration.

Other than that, 800% speed in relevant cores (Centipede, Missile Command, etc.) would be welcomed by those of us using the Egret II mini trackball so we can stop using the outdated custom core.

offset

Unread post by offset »

Lightwave wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 am

Thanks Jimmy; there is actually an unofficial Centipede build with 800% that's been floating around this forum for a while, I've been using it with the Egret II mini trackball/spinner as it basically needs 800% to be playable.

To me the best solution for these lower-speed trackballs would be to allow for negative mouse throttle in mister.ini, i.e. acceleration.

Other than that, 800% speed in relevant cores (Centipede, Missile Command, etc.) would be welcomed by those of us using the Egret II mini trackball so we can stop using the outdated custom core.

+1 on 800% centipede, would love to see it get rolled into the mainline centipede so its rolled out along with update_all