I Won a MiSTer on eBay

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Krathoon

I Won a MiSTer on eBay

Unread post by Krathoon »

It looks like it is fully loaded. It even has a clock.

I will have to upgrade the SDRAM to 128GB and add a 1TB SD card.

What do all the buttons on top mean? I get what Reset does, but the other two I am not certain about.

Hackshed_Carl

Re: I Won a MiSTer on eBay

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

Congratulations on getting your first MiSTer.

At first I read your post and honestly did a little eye roll while thinking "just read the wiki"
Then I decided to link the wiki here and try to be nice about it.

Then.... I went to the wiki to post the links and found it rather lacking on the IO board page. I will update that page this week so thank you for your question otherwise I'd never have noticed.

In general the wiki is really useful to newcomers however I'm going to go through each page over the week and see what improvements can be made.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_MiSTer/wiki

In answer to your question :-
Reset button - Resets the MiSTer although I can't remember at this time if it's a hard or soft reset and don't have my MiSTer with me.
OSD - Brings up the MiSTer OSD menu. Same as pressing F12 on your keyboard. You use it to change cores, load roms and change settings.
USER - I'm honestly not entirely sure what this button is used for. From what I can tell, it's defined by each core but I'll admit that I'll have to do a little more reading on this one.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Have fun!

Read the wiki thoroughly and perhaps watch one of the great MiSTer overview videos on YouTube. SDRAM is 128MB and you don't need to splash out on a 1TB micro SD; you can use USB storage and if you plan on networking your setup you can configure your MiSTer to access your NAS. The update_all script is also your friend!

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

AFAIK the user button usually resets the core, instead of the MiSTer. This can also be done using a keyboard combination (like control windows windows, mimicking control Amiga Amiga, I think you can change this in mister.ini) or from the core menu.

And if I'm not imagining things, pressing the reset button longer does a hard reset. This can also be done from the core menu.

Krathoon

I will be getting it in Monday. I will have to open up the case and get a good look at it.

Thanks for pointing me to the wiki.

Krathoon

AngelicLiver wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:08 pm

Have fun!

Read the wiki thoroughly and perhaps watch one of the great MiSTer overview videos on YouTube. SDRAM is 128MB and you don't need to splash out on a 1TB micro SD; you can use USB storage and if you plan on networking your setup you can configure your MiSTer to access your NAS. The update_all script is also your friend!

Yeah. I found out about the update_all script. MadLittlePixel also has a good YouTube video on setting up the MiSTer.
I bet that reset button does do a hard reset. That would be convenient.

Thedad

Unread post by Thedad »

Congrats on your new purchase. You won't regret it and the community here are great.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up paying for it?

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Do you have a digital or analogue iO board? If you have a digital and it came with 32mb of RAM, then put that 32MB stick in slot B and you will get the benefit of having dual RAM on the WIP cores that support it (Saturn and Jaguar).

Krathoon

Moondandy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:05 pm

Do you have a digital or analogue iO board? If you have a digital and it came with 32mb of RAM, then put that 32MB stick in slot B and you will get the benefit of having dual RAM on the WIP cores that support it (Saturn and Jaguar).

It looks like it is the analogue board because it has the vga out.

It looks like my MiSTer package is stuck in the mail. It was supposed to deliver today, but it looks like it is stuck at a distribution center.

Either that or they did not update the tracking.

Krathoon

My Mister is out for delivery. Huzzah!

Edit: I just got it. I installed the software and it works. Now, I am copying games to the SD card.
That will take a while.
I also upgraded the SDRAM. I forgot to see if it is using a heatsink. The fan on the I/O board is working.
I case is not that great. It is 3D printed. The bottom with the USB board pops off too easily.
I may look around for a better one.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Krathoon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:17 pm

My Mister is out for delivery. Huzzah!

Edit: I just got it. I installed the software and it works. Now, I am copying games to the SD card.
That will take a while.
I also upgraded the SDRAM. I forgot to see if it is using a heatsink. The fan on the I/O board is working.
I case is not that great. It is 3D printed. The bottom with the USB board pops off too easily.
I may look around for a better one.

I can recommend MiSTerAddon's aluminum case, but it's certainly not the cheapest option.