AtGames Legends Gamer Pro controller questions (and some answers)

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
rhester72
Top Contributor

AtGames Legends Gamer Pro controller questions (and some answers)

Unread post by rhester72 »

I have it working mostly beautifully (over Bluetooth, but it works just the same over USB) for arcade gaming on MiSTer, but there are two minor issues that I've yet to work out:

- I have to re-pair via holding down OSD for 3 seconds *every time I turn on or cold restart MiSTer*. Is that normal?
- I can barely get the trackball to do anything. It will only cause vertical (up and down) motion, VERY SLUGGISHLY. (Is this perhaps because it actually acts as two spinners, one as P1 and one as P2? dmesg says a mouse gets registered for each player)

If anyone has used *this specific controller* with MiSTer and can help with either, please advise. (The Atari 2-player fightstick with trackball, while extremely similar in overall appearance, operates and maps VERY differently.)

Hints to anyone trying this controller so you can learn from my mistakes:

Imagine sawing the controller in half, the buttons on the left are P1, the right are P2...it's like having two PlayStation controllers, one is the left side and the other is the right.

2P start will NOT map directly for games where player 1 and 2 alternate, you must map it to something on the left side of the platform - I suggest the lower pinball button and the upper one for coin, but it's a matter of preference...buttons on the right side are P2 *for two-player simultaneous only and do not get directly mapped*!

This is why you can't map the 2P button for alternating games (e.g. Galaga), because it's like mapping all the controls on a single PS controller except for 2P which you've mapped to another. It doesn't work.

The rewind button actually belongs to P3 and is thus about entirely useless.
Longtime4321

Re: AtGames Legends Gamer Pro controller questions (and some answers)

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

It's AtGames. You will not get quality products from them.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Longtime4321 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:17 am It's AtGames. You will not get quality products from them.
this
rhester72
Top Contributor

Longtime4321 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:17 am It's AtGames. You will not get quality products from them.
Their emulation boxes, I'm mostly in agreement, but the controller is pretty universally well-regarded.

Not looking for validation of my purchase decisions, just help with solving small problems getting two devices to work with one another that were really never intended to =)
Missus

Unread post by Missus »

A solution to these all of these woes is to replace the innards and wire it how you want.

You could change out the stock control board with one of many solutions:

(extremely lowlatency wired, DIY)
arduino/daemonbite: https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder
or
pi pico: https://github.com/FeralAI/PicoFightingBoard

(Off the shelf solutions)
Cheapie 'zero-delay' stick adapters (amazon/ebay): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZBFMWG
or
Brook fight stick products (if wireless is a must): https://www.brookaccessory.com/FS%20All ... /list.html

Have fun!

rhester72
Top Contributor

I'd considered it, but I actually still use the LGP on occasion shrugs