Archie Core - ArcElite Controls

Lamaman1971

Archie Core - ArcElite Controls

Unread post by Lamaman1971 »

Hi Folks,

I really want to play the "Ultimate" version of Elite, ArcElite, on the Archie Core.

The game runs fine - but it only seems to work with the mouse and a few select keys for the basics - hyperspace, views and so - but I cant control the speed of the ship or steer it - with either the keyboard or joystick.

Has anyone managed to get the core to work and control ArcElite satisfactorily?

_paul_

Re: Archie Core - ArcElite Controls

Unread post by _paul_ »

Afaik Hybrid Elite does not support a joystick. The Arcs did not have native joystick ports.

You can choose between mouse (called “Maus” in the game) or keyboard. To use keyboard I believe you need to turn off mouse controls in the configuration menu from the riscos desktop.

Note that speed is controlled with the middle and right mouse buttons.

Lamaman1971

Unread post by Lamaman1971 »

Well, somehow got it working. Right clicking on the Elite icon in the taskbar allowed me to change over from Mouse to Keyboard Controls. I think doing that then enabled the Mister to let me use my joystick too. So pretty much sorted if Im honest.

GreyAreaUK

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

_paul_ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:35 pm

Afaik Hybrid Elite does not support a joystick. The Arcs did not have native joystick ports.

You can choose between mouse (called “Maus” in the game) or keyboard. To use keyboard I believe you need to turn off mouse controls in the configuration menu from the riscos desktop.

Note that speed is controlled with the middle and right mouse buttons.

Going from memory, Voltmace made a joystick for the Arcs but it plugged into the mouse port, so I guess it was essentially a joystick-shaped mouse.

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

I'd recommend learning to use the mouse control, you can be far more effective in dogfights with pirates than with the keyboard. The trick is to turn on the dampers (auto-centering of pitch/roll), which are toggled on/off with caps lock.