MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Shinianess

Re: MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Unread post by Shinianess »

Is there anyone having menu button problem with Multisystem? I've received the board on last Tuesday and has been troubled since then. The menu button've not worked at all, I've tried to re-install the system and tested J12 behind SW4, but nothing happened.
IMG_4781.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Quasi_stomach wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:26 pm
mapf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:40 am

There is no composite signal on the MiSTer. You might consider modding your CRT for RGB input instead, if that is an option for you. We Europeans are lucky that even the crappiest cheap no-name TV from the late 80s onward had SCART connectors with RGB input.

You guys really are lucky!

I have thought about trying the RGB mode, but as comfortable as I may be trying to build my own adapter, I have been pretty scared to do work on the inside of a CRT. I also tend to take a long time to complete any project and I will forget where to plug in anything I had to unplug :oops:

Picture quality wise we were lucky, I was amazed when I first came to the US how bad the image quality in us TVs was (NTSC Composite)
but there was one huge advantage, NTSC had 60 Hz and literally all games (except for most Amiga games) were designed with 60Hz in mind. Also some games used the blurryness and fake colors of ntsc for effects, we always got games which were somewhat too slow (but we did not know that) and diterhing!

So we basically had some of the "bad effects" CRT afficionados blame on the LCD displays already on CRT level, aka, like diterhing instead of colors and transparency.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

multisystem wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Hello everyone,

The MiSTer Multisystem all-in-one integrated motherboard prototypes have been completed and are working!

I love my MiSTer and my MMS.

I've been patiently waiting for Pi-MMS to go back in stock to complete my setup, but noticed the date slipping and no real news or ETA. Any updates?

Thanks!

multisystem

Unread post by multisystem »

Missus wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:22 pm
multisystem wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Hello everyone,

The MiSTer Multisystem all-in-one integrated motherboard prototypes have been completed and are working!

I love my MiSTer and my MMS.

I've been patiently waiting for Pi-MMS to go back in stock to complete my setup, but noticed the date slipping and no real news or ETA. Any updates?

Thanks!

We have another built and tested shipment of Pi-MMS ready to be sent to the shop, they should be available soon. You can always message the Retro group team and they should be able to give updates on the availability.

Just a general note, we are starting to see some improvement of component lead times, they are still on 20+ weeks, but before Christmas many were 40 to 60 weeks for raw component delivery. Hopefully things will continue to improve as the component manufacturers catch up with demand this year.

Best Regards,

Richard.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

multisystem wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:34 am

We have another built and tested shipment of Pi-MMS ready to be sent to the shop, they should be available soon. You can always message the Retro group team and they should be able to give updates on the availability.

Just a general note, we are starting to see some improvement of component lead times, they are still on 20+ weeks, but before Christmas many were 40 to 60 weeks for raw component delivery. Hopefully things will continue to improve as the component manufacturers catch up with demand this year.

Best Regards,

Richard.

Well good to hear they should be back in stock any moment....

It would be great if pre-orders were possible, I'd be more than happy to pay upfront to ensure I can get one.

I did use the contact form on rmcstore but I got zero acknowledgement or response. And now it appears the site is down? :shrug:

Still waiting!

multisystem

Missus wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:20 pm
multisystem wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:34 am

Best Regards,

Richard.

Well good to hear they should be back in stock any moment....

It would be great if pre-orders were possible, I'd be more than happy to pay upfront to ensure I can get one.

I did use the contact form on rmcstore but I got zero acknowledgement or response. And now it appears the site is down? :shrug:

Still waiting!

And now it appears the site is down? :shrug:

The store should be up again (now/very soon), they are moving to the general Retro Collective website for all sales - it was based on The Cave (RMCretro) but it's outgrown that platform now, so take a look at https://shop.retrocollective.co.uk/

That's also why I expect you didn't get back reply as they have just finished making the retrocollective website and are getting that all up and running, sorry for the problems but it should make things a lot better for future sales, support and communication.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Pi-MMS back in stock finally!
I was able to grab one, can't wait to check it out!

Lowe0

Unread post by Lowe0 »

One thing I've noticed is that the USB connection is super-fiddly and pushes uncomfortably against the ethernet port on the board. I've found a workaround; the DIY USB cables from Adafruit:

pwkgqFH.jpeg

You'll need the following from Adafruit:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4109
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4106
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3560

I'm planning on a similar setup for the upcoming Control Deck slice, but that'll require a longer ribbon cable - I've ordered a 20mm and 30mm to experiment with.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

cursedverses

MiSTer MultiSystem - Dual Ram Version?

Unread post by cursedverses »

I'm guessing it's unlikely, but will there be a version of the MMS that has dual RAM? Or a configurable version that allows either Analogue or Dual RAM (or both via HDMI and a scan converter)?

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I got a Multisystem board from ultimatemister and it is working great so far but now I’m currently shopping for an enclosure, is there a list of sellers for MMS enclosures I can lookup? Thanks

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

antibolo

Missus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:26 pm

https://shop.heber.co.uk/mister-multisystem/

or you could 3d print your own!
https://www.printables.com/@Multisystem/models

The RetroCollective store says they won’t ship to my address (and they don’t answer to their support messages) and I don’t personally know anyone who owns a 3D printer (and I absolutely don’t know anything about 3D printing in general).

I guess I’ll just continue to wait for ultimatemister to start selling enclosures, their product page for the MMS board says they’ll have some soon.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

antibolo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:00 pm
Missus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:26 pm

https://shop.heber.co.uk/mister-multisystem/

or you could 3d print your own!
https://www.printables.com/@Multisystem/models

The RetroCollective store says they won’t ship to my address (and they don’t answer to their support messages) and I don’t personally know anyone who owns a 3D printer (and I absolutely don’t know anything about 3D printing in general).

I guess I’ll just continue to wait for ultimatemister to start selling enclosures, their product page for the MMS board says they’ll have some soon.

If you don’t want to wait, there are online services that will print the 3d files for you. Hope you can source one!

antibolo

RetroCollective eventually fixed their store so I could order an enclosure from them, just got it now, tried to install it and... the necessary screws and bolts aren't included???

Just noticed this fine print on their product listing:
"Please note: The MiSTer Multisystem case is sold as only the 3D printed parts and does not include screws and other fixings"

Ugh.

Koston

Unread post by Koston »

From ultimatemister.com:

I know you’re going to ask, official Multisystem case will available soon and look amazing.

Snaggletooth

Unread post by Snaggletooth »

So finally got my MiSTer setup,connected by scart to a CRT.

Not sure if makes a difference but when ran the setup including update all script and edited .ini file (as per Multisystem user guide) it was initially connected to a moniter via HDMI and just setup up on de10 directly as didnt have Multisustem board at the time.

Pretty well setup now, but having a few configuration issues that people may be able to help with.

1 - Audio - Some Arcade Cores (From Updateall Script) have no sound, some partial other full sound
- Console - Only tested a couple, Nes cores (No Sound) Snes (fine)

2 - Display - Some arcade cores boot in their vertical display (eg. Pacman / 1942 ) tried to change to Horizontal Display from games F12 menu . but despite option changing the screens orientation does not.

3 - some console cores currently not working, though this may be me having the wrong roms in folders (is it better to unzip rom folders etc)

4 - when trying to setup a competition pro joystick and keyboard in arcade games(directly in game core) I dont seem to be able to use both . keyboard and joystick. and when try to just use keyboard nothing seems to register.

5 - updateall script doesnt seem to want to display properly on crt had to disable framebuffer in .ini fileto get it to launch update script and . when it started running it just seemed to hang.

Sorry for long list of questions, hoping somebody may have a few pointers at least on q's 1 & 2.
Also did post this on another thread but just want to show off my MS case, pretty please with it.

IMG_20231223_150230.webp
Snaggletooth

1 - Audio - Some Arcade Cores (From Updateall Script) have no sound, some partial other full sound

Sorted this issue, Wasnt testing enough, seems a lot of attract modes and menu screens are silent, Sound kicks in when game starts.

2 - Display - Some arcade cores boot in their vertical display (eg. Pacman / 1942 ) tried to change to Horizontal Display from games F12 menu . but despite option changing the screens orientation does not.

3 - some console cores currently not working, though this may be me having the wrong roms in folders (is it better to unzip rom folders etc)

4 - when trying to setup a competition pro joystick and keyboard in arcade games(directly in game core) I dont seem to be able to use both . . keyboard and joystick. and when try to just use keyboard nothing seems to register.
fixed using a controller with more buttons, though still unsure how you skip mapping certain inputs to a controller

5 - updateall script doesnt seem to want to display properly on crt had to disable framebuffer in .ini fileto get it to launch update script and . when it started running it just seemed to hang.

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Any news on pi-mms (for MT32) cartridge availability? I have a pi zero2 here waiting for one.

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Snaggletooth wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 am

Sorted this issue, Wasnt testing enough, seems a lot of attract modes and menu screens are silent, Sound kicks in when game starts.

4 - when trying to setup a competition pro joystick and keyboard in arcade games(directly in game core) I dont seem to be able to use both . . keyboard and joystick. and when try to just use keyboard nothing seems to register.
fixed using a controller with more buttons, though still unsure how you skip mapping certain inputs to a controller

Are you using the recommended power supply?

If not, you may see issues with display output, USB devices not working, etc. I had issues until i used the recommended power supply: 5V, 4A.

The power supply that comes with the DE10 nano (3 amp i believe?) is simply not enough once you start adding things to it - and one of the tell tale signs i saw prior to upgrading the power supply was glitchy video output when running update-all, some USB devices failing to work, etc. It was due to insufficient power.

I didn't just see this with the MMS either, i saw similar issues when i was running the stack of a DE10 + USB board and a bunch of USB devices (wifi, bluetooth, keyboard/mouse dongle and a controller) - so its not necessarily an MMS only issue, just that the MMS includes a heap of the optional hardware you'd get from various boards and those things require power.

It's been 100% rock solid since i upgraded to the recommended meanwell 5V 4A power supply.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

throAU wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:08 am

Any news on pi-mms (for MT32) cartridge availability? I have a pi zero2 here waiting for one.

https://shop.heber.co.uk/pi-mms-expansi ... assembled/

Availability:Usually Ships In 1 to 2 Weeks

Snaggletooth

throAU wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:10 am
Snaggletooth wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 am

Display - Some arcade cores boot in their vertical display (eg. Pacman / 1942 ) tried to change to Horizontal Display from games F12 menu but despite option changing the screens orientation does not.

updateall script doesnt seem to want to display properly on crt had to disable framebuffer in .ini fileto get it to launch update script and when it started running it just seemed to hang.

Are you using the recommended power supply?

If not, you may see issues with display output, USB devices not working, etc. I had issues until i used the recommended power supply: 5V, 4A.

The power supply that comes with the DE10 nano (3 amp i believe?) is simply not enough once you start adding things to it - and one of the tell tale signs i saw prior to upgrading the power supply was glitchy video output when running update-all, some USB devices failing to work, etc. It was due to insufficient power.

I didn't just see this with the MMS either, i saw similar issues when i was running the stack of a DE10 + USB board and a bunch of USB devices (wifi, bluetooth, keyboard/mouse dongle and a controller) - so its not necessarily an MMS only issue, just that the MMS includes a heap of the optional hardware you'd get from various boards and those things require power.

It's been 100% rock solid since i upgraded to the recommended meanwell 5V 4A power supply.

Thanks for the reply, but been using a New5V 4A supply, so dont think it would be that.
I have seen this setting in the .ini wonder if this is something to do with it

osd_rotate - Rotate the OSD. Useful for when you rotate your monitor for certain Arcade cores. 0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), and 2 - rotate left (-90°).

here are my settings for refertence, somebody might see something -

Code: Select all

key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0                           ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                                                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=0                                 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0                                        ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0                                ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002                     ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=0                                      ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                                                            ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                                                            ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                                                            ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
                                                            ; 4 - integer resolution scaling, use core aspect ratio
                                                            ; 5 - integer resolution scaling, maintain display aspect ratio
vscale_border=0                                    ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0                                       ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig. 
;mouse_throttle=10                               ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0                             ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0                                          ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0                                    ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
                                                          ; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0                                     ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
hdr=0                                                  ; 1 - enable HDR using the BT2020 color space (faux-HDR, use color controls to tweak).
                                                          ; 2 - enable HDR using the DCI P3 color space.
                                                          ; 3 - enable HDR without color space conversion.
fb_size=0                                            ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=0                                     ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30                                  ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 0 - never timeout.
                                                         ; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
video_off=0                                       ; output black frame in Menu core after timeout (is seconds). Valid only if osd_timout is non zero.
osd_rotate=0                                     ; Display OSD menu rotated,  0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)                  
vga_sog=0 ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Missus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:21 am

But there's no way to add to cart?

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

throAU wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:40 pm

Ahh, missed that. Guess it’s a waiting game.

Snaggletooth

Well making progress but still a few snags, mainly being the vertical Screen orientation in arcade cores.

Doesnt matter how I try to change in settings the screen staysin its vertical mode (so displays sideways on CRT screen) It will flip but not rotate
I Have tried changing COmposite H-Sync to 1 and FB terminal to 0 but does nothing.

I did manage to get it to run Update all script from Menu, but I only see about a quater of the update script running.
Also I cant run .ini file or other scripts fro Mister directly, when I select them it just defaults me back to main menu.

I can only its something to do with the resolution but I'm just guessing at the moment.
If any body can offer any insight would be really appreciated.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

If you cant rotate it do it like you would on a real machine and rotate the CRT

retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

Snaggletooth wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:13 pm

Well making progress but still a few snags, mainly being the vertical Screen orientation in arcade cores.

Doesnt matter how I try to change in settings the screen staysin its vertical mode (so displays sideways on CRT screen) It will flip but not rotate
I Have tried changing COmposite H-Sync to 1 and FB terminal to 0 but does nothing.

I can only its something to do with the resolution but I'm just guessing at the moment.
If any body can offer any insight would be really appreciated.

On my MiSTer w/ the analog output board connected via VGA to a multisync (15KHz, 25KHzm and 30KHz supported) arcade monitor, I can play the vertical games properly rotated using the following mister.ini config:

[arcade_vertical]
video_mode=6
vscale_mode=5
vga_scaler=1

Note that your CRT has to be able to support VGA (640x480) (video_mode=6) or higher resolutions for this to work at all.

Some games require more specific tweaks to the vsync mode, an example is the Galagas:

[galag*]
vsync_adjust=0

Snaggletooth

Thanks, appreciate the reply, will try this at some point, annoyingly my screen died on me this afternoon, still working as regards putting out a picture, but the scart socket is loose and wont display the source for more than 10 - 15 seconds before signal drops. So on Modern Monitor till repaired or replaced.

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Missus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:03 pm

Any news @multisystem ?

multisystem

We popped up another batch of PiMMS cartridges before Christmas, but they all sold out almost instantly over just a few days. Expecting more to be built towards the end of Jan 2024.

throAU wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:05 am
Missus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:03 pm

Any news @multisystem ?