JT Friday Feb 17, 2023

jca
Top Contributor

JT Friday Feb 17, 2023

Unread post by jca »

Jotego announced some bug fixes for MISTer, looking at https://github.com/jotego/jtbin I see that 1942 and Gun Smoke have been updated 5 hours ago.
Running update all this is what I get:

Code: Select all

Removing /media/usb0/_Arcade/_alternatives/_Passing Shot/Center Court (World, 4 Players, prototype) (MC-8123B).mra
Removing /media/usb0/_Arcade/_alternatives/_Passing Shot/Passing Shot (Japan, 4 Players) (FD1094 317-0070).mra
Removing /media/usb0/_Arcade/_alternatives/_Passing Shot/Passing Shot (Japan, 4p, S16A) [FD1094 317-0071].mra
Removing /media/usb0/_Arcade/_alternatives/_Passing Shot/Passing Shot (World, 4 Players) (FD1094 317-0074).mra

Downloading 4 files:
_Arcade/_alternatives/_1942/1942 (First Version).mra
_Arcade/_alternatives/_1942/1942 (Revision A).mra
_Arcade/_alternatives/_1942/1942 (Williams Electronics license).mra
_Arcade/_alternatives/_1942/Supercharger 1942.mra

When trying to run 1942 for some strange reason 1942 (Rev B) became just 1942 :?:
Still a blue screen.
For Gun Smoke still no flip.
But looking at Distribution MISTer I see that the last update was yesterday.
I guess we will have to wait until Distribution MISTer is updated to know if 1942 and Gun Smoke have been fixed.

jca
Top Contributor

Re: JT Friday Feb 17, 2023

Unread post by jca »

Distribution MISTer has been updated but nothing new :(

suww37

Unread post by suww37 »

Jotego said it was fixed on Twitter, but it’s still the same. 1942 doesn't work.

pepito

Unread post by pepito »

Jotego turned out to PocketFpga only. we will still have updates but not sure about new core games on Mister.
Until he change his mind.

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Same here guys.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I had a better look at the repository. Basically nothing has been updated, only the readme.md and version.log.

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

pepito wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:12 am

Jotego turned out to PocketFpga only. we will still have updates but not sure about new core games on Mister.

Where do you see that ?
I vote against this pocket crap when there was a vote on his patreon, he said it will be easy and won't vampirize his work for other platform, but it was so sure it will turn out to be this disaster.
And frankly i am less and less interested by his recent work anyway. Nearly no more release, neo geo pocket is in the wait list forever, and his community vote for the cps3 over the pgm (what a joke) to be the next big thing. I think i will withdraw my patreon until something interesting come out.

Lex

Unread post by Lex »

I agree with you guys. Not sure whats going on here. The whole thing started out from classical arcade games but now its heading into some mysterious direction. There are so many games still untouched from that era (mainly 80s) and those cores which have already been released would highly need some aftercare to fix obvious bugs (for example Moon patrol sound, bomb jack weird line issue so that we have it as close to the original as possible). The idea was to get as close to the core as possible but other than that cores are never revised again once they are released). Instead we get weird pocket cores (wasn´t it about arcade games and arcade cabs?). This was not the way they were meant to be played. I know this thing is extremley complex just saying we are heading into the wrong direction and the fact that you have to be careful to update mister and be afraid that existing cores won´t work anymore is more or less a joke.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

If you think you can do better, go ahead and learn how to make cores yourself I guess. All you are doing by complaining is making other devs and prospective devs not want to be involved in this community.

birdybro~
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

aberu wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:52 am

If you think you can do better, go ahead and learn how to make cores yourself I guess. All you are doing by complaining is making other devs and prospective devs not want to be involved in this community.

I think the issue here is not the typical "entitled users making demands regarding what a hobbyist developer should do with his free time", but rather what paying patrons thought they were getting for the money they have been contributing monthly.

Lex

Unread post by Lex »

You are absolutely right - complaining does not solve problems and I appreciate the cores that have been developed. I am only a little disappointed about certain points and I used to be a patreon. It is what it is and you are right if you are not satisfied you have to develop your own cores. End of story. Regards

wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

JT was pushed missing RBF files for 1942 and Gunsmoke.
It will be good now after an update.

Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

pepito wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:12 am

Nonsense. Jotego has never given up the development on Mister. On the contrary, he continues to research and build new cores as always though he has added the Pocket to his building process.

We can discuss or simply disagree about the convenience of the latter, but his commitment to the Mister project is intact.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks @wark91, update all is grabbing them and they work.
One note:
1942 mra has been deleted and now is back to 1942 mra.
Gun Smoke (World ...) mra is back but Gun Smoke mra is still there and is the one which was not working.
Another note:
Gun Smoke ... mra is now Gun.Smoke ... mra.

wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

yes he changes the names of MRA so deleted old one is required if update all doesn't do it automatically.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Not exactly: he reverted the names to what they where prior the bad update.
For Gun Smoke he forgot to delete "Gun Smoke.mra" which is the bad one and when he renamed the mras to their original names he typed "Gun.Smoke ... .mra" instead of "Gun Smoke ... .mra".
No big deal as they now work. I just got a surprise when I tested Gun Smoke as the flip still did not work: "Gun Smoke.mra" is the first in the list. I suppose manually deleting it is only a temporary fix as it will come back when running the next update all.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

No point deleting "Gun Smoke.mra", I just tested and it comes back (as expected) when running update all.

callanabrown

Unread post by callanabrown »

Jotego has been spending time making a framework so he can easily deploy to MiST, MiSTer, Pocket, SiDi etc... no device left behind.

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

What is the thinking behind him putting all his cores in the one github repo? I thought the general thought for larger projects is you don't do that. Going to make checking and logging issues messy.

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

Moondandy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:12 pm

What is the thinking behind him putting all his cores in the one github repo? I thought the general thought for larger projects is you don't do that. Going to make checking and logging issues messy.

CICD, testing from he

Atohmdiy

Dumb remark. Not anyone is skilled in fpga developpement.

And who is complaining ? I don't complain on his work, i am just saying i don't agree with his patreon community and i dislike the direction it takes. First there is this pocket vote, and he said it will be easy and won't make him loose any time on his work. It reveals to be false, it wasn't that easy and it took him a lot more efforts than anticipated.
Just look the neo geo pocket, i am sure it would have been released without this analog pocket lost of time.
Then there was this cps3 vs pgm vote. Community preferred the cps3 and it's fine, it's a democracy. But frankly the cps3 have 0 interest for me, i don't like fighting game and even then there wasn't a lot of game for this machine. pgm on the other hand have a lot more good games with different genre. Cps3 is complex and will require a lot of work... So it will take a lot of time and effort for something i am personally not interested at all, so yes i will surely withdraw my patreon. When cps3 is done and if something interesting pop up, i will finance it again.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

This is not is development repository, it is just a repository for all the "binaries" for every platform he supports. I am sure it makes it way easier for update all to do the Jotego updates. It also makes it easier for anyone to do manual updates.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Jotego deleted "Gun Smoke.mra" (the bad one) from the repository. Once Distribution MISTer is updated running update all will delete this bad boy forever.
On the other hand "Gun Smoke" is still "Gun.Smoke".

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

jca wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:49 am

Jotego deleted "Gun Smoke.mra" (the bad one) from the repository. Once Distribution MISTer is updated running update all will delete this bad boy forever.
On the other hand "Gun Smoke" is still "Gun.Smoke".

Gun.Smoke is the actual name of the arcade game.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am a total ignorant on the subject. Thanks, now I am a little less ignorant and feel a little more stupid:

Attachments
Gun.Smoke.jpg
Gun.Smoke.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
offset

Unread post by offset »

Had no idea about period in the name Gun.Smoke until I saw the history video about the game ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Vbw1W0WfY ). I played this game a lot as a kid in the arcades, so caught me off guard as well.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Actually the way he organizes his repos is more initial setup but it's less management in the long run as long as you keep all the integrations working.

However, it's a bit more complicated to understand so it's not as easy for other devs to come in and collaborate.

Atohmdiy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:49 pm

And who is complaining ? I don't complain on his work, i am just saying i don't agree with his patreon community and i dislike the direction it takes. First there is this pocket vote, and he said it will be easy and won't make him loose any time on his work. It reveals to be false, it wasn't that easy and it took him a lot more efforts than anticipated.
Just look the neo geo pocket, i am sure it would have been released without this analog pocket lost of time.
Then there was this cps3 vs pgm vote. Community preferred the cps3 and it's fine, it's a democracy. But frankly the cps3 have 0 interest for me, i don't like fighting game and even then there wasn't a lot of game for this machine. pgm on the other hand have a lot more good games with different genre. Cps3 is complex and will require a lot of work... So it will take a lot of time and effort for something i am personally not interested at all, so yes i will surely withdraw my patreon. When cps3 is done and if something interesting pop up, i will finance it again.

Not "dumb remark". Actually, I know first hand how incredibly difficult it is to try and learn this stuff, I knew nothing about HDL or even programming just 2 years ago, and I barely have skimmed the surface, I'm many years too early to do something like develop my own core, I've just done tiny simple fixes and ported a few cores that darfpga made.

That's the reason why I made "dumb remark", I know from experience. I know even a tiny bit of the pressures on oneself, the personal frustration if someone doesn't like what you did even though you thought it was correct, the panic feeling of putting something out there that doesn't work right, etc... If I was as talented as any of these core devs who actually deserve the title "core developer", then I would never open a Patreon because of this kind of ugliness that it breeds.

birdybro~
MikkyTee

Unread post by MikkyTee »

Looks like CPS3 will take alot of time to develop, im not really interested in that at all but i will keep supporting him as its not alot im paying at the moment anyway and he's still provided alot of content.

Atohmdiy

aberu wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:16 pm

Actually the way he organizes his repos is more initial setup but it's less management in the long run as long as you keep all the integrations working.

However, it's a bit more complicated to understand so it's not as easy for other devs to come in and collaborate.

Atohmdiy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:49 pm

Not "dumb remark". Actually, I know first hand how incredibly difficult it is to try and learn this stuff, I knew nothing about HDL or even programming just 2 years ago, and I barely have skimmed the surface, I'm many years too early to do something like develop my own core, I've just done tiny simple fixes and ported a few cores that darfpga made.

That's the reason why I made "dumb remark", I know from experience. I know even a tiny bit of the pressures on oneself, the personal frustration if someone doesn't like what you did even though you thought it was correct, the panic feeling of putting something out there that doesn't work right, etc... If I was as talented as any of these core devs who actually deserve the title "core developer", then I would never open a Patreon because of this kind of ugliness that it breeds.

No what you said is "if you are not happy do it yourself". So yes it's a dumb remark.

And you actually going on with another dumb remark. Patreon was made for a reason, you pay for something you want to support (and cannot do yourself...) and no one is forcing you. I am not sure any "core developer" complain a lot of their community and behavior, no more than they are complaining to be financially support for what they like to do. So saying that opening a patreon "breeds this kind of ugliness" don't really motivate me to keep giving money to the different developers i support.
And frankly i don't see when i was ugly with anyone in my words, i don't insult or spit on anyone. Or we don't have the same definition of ugliness. Or maybe you are the kind of person that cannot stand for anyone to disagree with you or the people you support / admire / whatever.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

No, I didn't just say if you aren't happy do it yourself. I also said it's really hard to do this stuff since the obvious implication of your post was that certain things (like NGPC) are taking too long and you don't appreciate the cores he's releasing anymore because they are games you don't like.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to tell you that it's from an obviously limited perspective and it's rude.

When you pull your patreon subscription it asks you for feedback, and the person who runs that account can see it. It's weird that you want to publicly put him on blast after you have already pulled support and ostensibly given feedback directly to him.

You are of course entitled to opinions and are free to post them, but don't be surprised when people criticize you for putting someone on blast publicly who has spent countless hours on making cores you enjoy playing frequently.

birdybro~