Sega Arcade Cores

TobyRieper

Sega Arcade Cores

Unread post by TobyRieper »

Are early 90s arcade boards theoretically possible? I'd love a Sega Model 1 and Model 2 core. I'm really into early 3d games and am impressed with the PSX and the Saturn.

Captain FPGA

Re: Sega Arcade Cores

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Would love to see the Spider-Man beat-em-up myself developed by Sega.

Dreams don't die!
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Sega Model 3 gets my vote for Star Wars Trilogy Arcade and others. I have no idea if it is possible.

MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

Not sure if Model 2 (particularly 2A) is possible, let alone Model 3... but we've said this before about many cores that we now have today. One can hope! :)

TobyRieper

I'm no expert but Model 1 should be doable. Id any devs out there are interested please let me know as I may be able to dontate an entire Model 1 board. Model 2 has a decent emulator but Model 1 has a bunch of issues in mame.

KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Jotego mentioned Model 1 was doable on MiSTer. Model 2-3 is too much for MiSTer though. My view is that it's a process of elimination. It's not if a popular core will be implemented one day, but when. For example, Jotego mentioned his goal is to preserve as many arcade games as possible in FPGA before he dies

TobyRieper

I figured M2 and M3 wouldn't be possible. I'll wait patiently. I am a huge fan of early 3d arcade games. Be nice to play em on me mister.

dcubed

Unread post by dcubed »

I can't imagine that Model 2 is doable, so I'd imagine that the DE10 Nano would top-out at SEGA System 32 and maybe Model 1 at a stretch).

System 32 would be amazing though! Almost none of those games ever got a home release! (and the few that did are only available via the Astro City mini, which is not ideal at all).

Syntax Error

Unread post by Syntax Error »

o ... virtua fighter 1,2,3, vCop and house of the dead

id have to second that, the mentioned games dont really look like the arcade on a Saturn (dont know how they play, haven't tried saturn32 except to check if it boots (and it did vfighter for a bit back then) and N64 yet, these things take time and i have at least 86000 games before sorting so i can wait until its in beta/early alpha instead of being frustrated or drooling over "wow it does 5 pixels in the right place now (lol and no offence btw, its must be rock-hard to program these things, certainly above my head)

im still rooting for an Atari falcon ... (a jag would be really nice but a falcon is really something id love to have , hatari emulates it not too well imo) and since it has the x68000 it should be able to do a falcon 030 (of course, that's so obscure cult the big coder wont do it they have enough to do and i personally dont see myself hacking it within the next few years if i start studying now)

before i go off topic too far ... model 1 & 2 sound really nice to have arcade machines from tho (even if not the present course already warrant the purchase for me, id like to the existing cores worked on a bit more too tho im not much in a position to make demands here - and i talk about computer cores, i bought it for atari st/amiga mostly, then found out its like a treasure cave the size of a bar of soap in a box)

and of course if it ever gets a demo-scene : the custom machines that dont exist irl should make for some real nice moments ...

im totally glad i got me one