New HDR Settings

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Kuro Houou

Re: New HDR Settings

Unread post by Kuro Houou »

Retro-Nerd wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:13 am

I really don't know why you guys have so much troubles with the HLG-HDR colors. It's 8bit HDR and fully backward compatible with SDR. This is how it should look (with no special settings to colors in the Mister.ini) on a LG C9. Using "game mode" with "Dynamic Tone Mapping" enabled. Saturation level is up to your own preferences. My image looks a bit warmer because i use a white balance setting "Warm2", which is closer to old Sony CRTs.

Out of curiosity what is your saturation level set to?

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Mister.ini

HLG HDR = 95%
HDR10 -> DCI P3 = 75%

Both with Default "50" in the TV OSD settings.

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

On my C2 42" yellow letters are warmer/orange and turtles are tan.

Dynamic Tone Mapping: Auto
Color Depth: 55
Tint: 0
Color Gamut: Auto Detect
Color Temperature: Warm 50

Because Mister HDR is so limited and color matching in ini is impractical, I think it's more workable to put the cart before the horse by doing poor man's "inverse tone mapping" using TV color setting instead of asking Mister to output something it's incapable to do. I'm willing to set aside one hdmi port just for Mister HDR with wildly pushed color values.

Here is quick test with pushing and pulling Tint values.

mister-hdr-smw-logo.png
mister-hdr-smw-logo.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 5803 times

Pushing HLG Tint to G15 gets yellow letters close to SDR. But blue and green letters are dimmer. Not shown but turtles are also less tan.

I actually like DCI P3 because it's brighter than HLG. It works best with Dynamic Tone Mapping set to off on my C2. It's very green but pushing Tint to R11 gets yellow closer. blue and green look pretty good but red letter is dimmer. It's still too green overall. Pushing Tint to R15 gets overall image less green and not too bad looking but yellows are pretty warm. Also, R G B color adjustment settings under White Balance are grayed out with HLG but adjustable with DCI P3 on C2 so I think it has more potential for color matching.

Dark looking color tones can be fixed with lifted gamma curve. This could fix tan turtles. Near white tones look overblown on my C2 so bringing them down a bit would look nicer. I posted a rough gamma lut that lift low tone but I gave up trying to make an S curve that also brings down near whites.

Using just Tint value is obviously pretty blunt and limited. I don't know if it's possible but I think it would be interesting if one with color calibration ability could "calibrate" the TV using SNES 240p Test Suite or maybe run test patterns on computer cores pretending that Mister HDR is outputting correct image.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Aren't all the brightness/contrast/tone settings ETC. in mister.ini done at the level of 8-bit color? Since we are told the HDR implementation only adds metadata, it doesn't do any conversion of color to higher bitrates....

H6rdc0re

Unread post by H6rdc0re »

Retro-Nerd wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:13 am

I really don't know why you guys have so much troubles with the HLG-HDR colors. It's 8bit HDR and fully backward compatible with SDR. This is how it should look (with no special settings to colors in the Mister.ini) on a LG C9. Using "game mode" with "Dynamic Tone Mapping" enabled. Saturation level is up to your own preferences. My image looks a bit warmer because i use a white balance setting "Warm2", which is closer to old Sony CRTs.

Check out those red letters in the Super Mario Worls logo because that's not right. If your happy with it more power to you but it's not accurate.

Retro-Nerd

It is. These are just crappy Smartphone pics, the Red comes out like this. Not much i can do. In reality it's much brighter.

HDR-HLG is 8bit. So, no color conversion happens here. SDR looks like HDR-HLG on my TV. The HDR=2 option though isn't 100% accurate. Some redish tones are indeed too dark/cool and magenta looks like purple.

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

Retro-Nerd wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:22 pm

It is. These are just crappy Smartphone pics, the Red comes out like this. Not much i can do. In reality it's much brighter.

HDR-HLG is 8bit. So, no color conversion happens here. SDR looks like HDR-HLG on my TV. The HDR=2 option though isn't 100% accurate. Some redish tones are indeed too dark/cool and magenta looks like purple.

I know that's how it should be but it's not done correctly on many LG C variants and other displays as shown by many people. One can only ask Mr. LG for explanation :lol:

Retro-Nerd

C8, C9 and CX should look exactly the same though, it's the same panel.Then something must happend in later models. That's all i can think off.

But honestly, it's just passthrough metadata processed on the TV side. And HDR-HLG specifications didn't change into a new standard or something.

BSeraph

Unread post by BSeraph »

I wanna thank everyone on this thread! I tried this feature at first a while ago and the results were horrible for me. I chalked it up to me only having a cheaper samsung QLED TV and it's HDR performance not being so great. After going through this thread and trying out some of the configurations in here + messing with my TV's settings I actually managed to get pretty great results regardless. Looks miles better than just standard scanlines. I'm very happy and this is probably one of my favorite MiSTer features. I don't feel like I need to get a CRT anymore! :D

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Speaking of... HDR isn't working for me at all after a recent (mister?) update. hdr=1 or 2 has no effect, just an SDR signal. I even started over with a fresh ini file, and tried an HDR monitor in addition to my C1 TV.

Edit: false alarm, I think. It just seems like when the .ini is processed may have been changed? I had to flip the power switch on and off for my HDR settings to update, not even the "cold reboot" option in the menu would do it.

Edit 2: double false alarm, seems one of my hard drives is going, and was having trouble remembering the updates I was saving to it before FTPing over! HDR seems to be working great!

Emubastard

Unread post by Emubastard »

Issues with Asus 27” OLED PG27AQDM

hdr=0

IMG_5782.jpeg
IMG_5782.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 4364 times

hdr=1, hdr=2

IMG_5783.jpeg
IMG_5783.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4364 times

As you can see something is not right. No amount of playing with any of the extra HDR settings seems to be able to correct this issue. It happens on all cores.

This works fine on my LG 65” C1 however.

I also have no issues in Windows 11 HDR regardless of color mode or bit depth so it seems to just be the misterfpga the PG27AQDM doesn’t like or vice versa 🤷‍♂️.

Any suggestions?

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

The good results on Mister mostly come out of HLG mode, which is more like an extension of SDR format. Maybe your monitor isn't so well set up for that?

The output looks awful warm to me, maybe the color settings in Mister can help if you can't adjust it on the monitor side?

Emubastard

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:19 pm

The good results on Mister mostly come out of HLG mode, which is more like an extension of SDR format. Maybe your monitor isn't so well set up for that?

The output looks awful warm to me, maybe the color settings in Mister can help if you can't adjust it on the monitor side?

My understanding is that Windows 11 uses HLG for its HDR mode so I’m not sure if it’s that directly. I could be wrong on that but that was also a thought I had.

Also on this ASUS OLED PC Monitor has only brightness or a few preset HDR modes in settings while in HDR mode.

For example I can not change any Gamma, Color, Tint, Saturation, Color Space etc. So if the monitor doesn’t like the kind of HDR signal it’s receiving there’s not much I can do about it. Again it’s wierd that in windows 11 hdr mode I’ve tried 8bit; 10bit, RGB vs “the other” color space mode and had no issues.

I might have to break down and attach an Apple TV which has a variety of picture options I can try.

🤷‍♂️

EDIT: No strange colors or other artifacts with the HDR output from an Apple TV

Natrox
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by Natrox »

Emubastard wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:12 pm

My understanding is that Windows 11 uses HLG for its HDR mode so I’m not sure if it’s that directly. I could be wrong on that but that was also a thought I had.

Also on this ASUS OLED PC Monitor has only brightness or a few preset HDR modes in settings while in HDR mode.

For example I can not change any Gamma, Color, Tint, Saturation, Color Space etc. So if the monitor doesn’t like the kind of HDR signal it’s receiving there’s not much I can do about it. Again it’s wierd that in windows 11 hdr mode I’ve tried 8bit; 10bit, RGB vs “the other” color space mode and had no issues.

I might have to break down and attach an Apple TV which has a variety of picture options I can try.

🤷‍♂️

Windows 11 uses standard HDR10.

The problem with HDR output on MiSTer is that it's fundamentally non-standard. HDR isn't officially available under the HDMI protocol version that the output chip uses. Because of this, not all monitors and TVs will gracefully handle it.

I would recommend playing with the "video_gain_offset" setting in your MiSTer.ini. It looks like it's very far out-of-spec though, so I am not sure if you can get a decent output using this setting. Perhaps it is better to stick to SDR for this monitor.

If you see no brightness advantage to HDR mode on your monitor, there is no real point in using it. Even if you do, the setting I just mentioned can impact color precision negatively.

Emubastard

Natrox wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:42 pm
Emubastard wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:12 pm

🤷‍♂️

Windows 11 uses standard HDR10.

The problem with HDR output on MiSTer is that it's fundamentally non-standard. HDR isn't officially available under the HDMI protocol version that the output chip uses. Because of this, not all monitors and TVs will gracefully handle it.

I would recommend playing with the "video_gain_offset" setting in your MiSTer.ini. It looks like it's very far out-of-spec though, so I am not sure if you can get a decent output using this setting. Perhaps it is better to stick to SDR for this monitor.

If you see no brightness advantage to HDR mode on your monitor, there is no real point in using it. Even if you do, the setting I just mentioned can impact color precision negatively.

I’ve tried the offsets to no avail. For days. There is a petty bug brightness enhancement on the OLED but I’ll just move it back to my LG C1 which works great in HDR. Oh well. I wanted to try the Asus as it has 1000 nitt highlights. Maybe time for a new TV 🤷‍♂️

BlockABoots

Unread post by BlockABoots »

Any ideas why i get an HDR: '3' out of range message when booting the MiSTer??

In the MiSTer INI i have..

HDR option '3' enable (HLG)
and MIN Nit set to '250' and MAX Nits set to '550'

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Because HDR 3 doesnt exist

hdr=0 ; 1 - enable HDR using HLG (recommended for most users)
; 2 - enable HDR using the DCI P3 color space (use color controls to tweak, suggestion: set saturation to 80).

0, 1 and 2 are the legal values

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

HDR 3 is an older setting, you might want to refresh with more recent ini/comments in general.

drenco

Unread post by drenco »

Hi im trying to dial in my HDR settings for my LG G1 which is on 1440p with DTM set to on and BFI on, what other settings either on the MiSTer or on my LG like Brightness/Contrast/Color etc do i need to adjust etc ?

drenco

Unread post by drenco »

mathieulh wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:12 pm

Here are some additional pictures using HDR=3 with HLG HDR on a LG CX with Motion Pro (BFI) to medium and OLED light to 50 at 1440p, side by side with a Trinitron WEGA CRT

For this to work using HLG HDR you need to make sure Dynamic Tone Mapping is on in your TV options (you are relying on your TV to make the color conversion from SDR to HDR for you), or your colors will look off.

20230102_160026.jpg

20230102_160149.jpg

LG CX:
20230102_160122.jpg

Trinitron CRT:
20230102_160127.jpg

Here are my filter settings:

20230102_153230.jpg

Hi i don't suppose you could give us your current settings for your LG CX filter settings as the photo you provided for the filter settings the names of the filters seem to of changed nowadays ?

drenco

Unread post by drenco »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:58 pm

; 2 - enable HDR using the DCI P3 color space (use color controls to tweak, suggestion: set saturation to 80).

Funny that as a new setup only the other day my ini reads:

hdr=1 ; 1 - enable HDR using the BT2020 color space (faux-HDR, use color controls to tweak).
; 2 - enable HDR using the DCI P3 color space.
; 3 - enable HDR without color space conversion.

Not like the other examples ive read further back in this thread.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

drenco wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:49 pm

hdr=1 ; 1 - enable HDR using the BT2020 color space (faux-HDR, use color controls to tweak).

well
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

which is the current ini has no entry for HDR 3

drenco

Unread post by drenco »

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:51 pm
drenco wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:49 pm

well
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

which is the current ini has no entry for HDR 3

How comes then only a few days ago when i set it up with the latest .img and ran the latest upate_all ive got given an outdated ini with older settings within ? just trying to understand whats going on TBF as i would of assumed that running with the latest updates that id of received the latest ini

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

update_all never updates the ini file. I dont know how you installed the Main Mister but whatever you used is using an out of date ini file.

drenco

Unread post by drenco »

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:54 am

update_all never updates the ini file. I dont know how you installed the Main Mister but whatever you used is using an out of date ini file.

I installed it using this: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/mr-fusi ... s/tag/v2.9 then ran update_all.

retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

mathieulh wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:12 pm

Trinitron CRT:
20230102_160127.jpg

Very impressive! Those scanlines look a lot better than an earlier pic that was posted in this thread. Should be black, not just a "darker shade" of the surrounding colors.