Atari Style Joystick Question

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
craigwatson

Atari Style Joystick Question

Unread post by craigwatson »

Hello everyone!

Really new to the MiSTer scene but loving it so far as I've been plenty of other arcade,RasPi, Pinball etc systems but just starting out here.
I have several joysticks to use and have a combination of a Rii bluetooth keyboard and a Logitech wireless controller that seem to work just fine.

I really want to feel old school and utilize an Atari style joystick so I purchased a Hyperkin Trooper 2 usb joystick. I can place it in the usb and can control up/down/left right of the MiSTer main pages.. I can remap the main input as well as each core etc by also hitting the space bar for non essential buttons on the 2600 games. That said, after the core runs I cannot get any button to respond nor the joystick movement... even on simple games like Adventure.

I am sure I am missing something REALLY easy and will feel silly but I am seeking advice on how to get this thing to work {and take me back to my childhood}... Any ideas?

Thank you SO much for any and all help!

Craig
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: Atari Style Joystick Question

Unread post by lamarax »

Hi and welcome!

Which core are you using? The old 2600 core is deprecated; try with the Atari 7800 core, which has embedded 2600 compatibility.
craigwatson

Unread post by craigwatson »

Thank you, yes I am using the 7800 core and then loading up the 2600 ROM...
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Hmm, can't say much as I'm using an ole Kempston joystick with the core via SNAC. That said, it too can be iffy at times with certain 2600 roms.
Did you try with a bog standard usb pad, or the keyboard?

Maybe the input code has to be reviewed? (@Kitrinx)
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I don't have my MiSTer in front of me right now, but probably in the core menu, you need to change the Joystick settings. There are different settings like SNAC, Paddle, etc. Try changing that until it works in the game. Also, there is a swap joysticks setting that may need to be toggled. Hope this helps. Does the joystick work in other cores, like NES?
Alladdim

Unread post by Alladdim »

Hello, I've created an account just to provide feedback to the question. I don't know if the OP has found a solution... so just in case (and for people looking for an answer in the future). I had the same issue recently, bought the USB version of Trooper 2 joystick and was trying to setup in the Atari 7800, it worked on the console menu but not on games. The solution is to setup the joystick first on the MrFPGA menu, before entering the Core. After I did that, the joystick worked on the 2600 games runnings through the 7800 core.

I didn't find this tip anywhere on the net after a Google search, I hope that posting here will help other people facing this issue.
Regards

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Alladdim wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:45 am

Hello, I've created an account just to provide feedback to the question. I don't know if the OP has found a solution... so just in case (and for people looking for an answer in the future). I had the same issue recently, bought the USB version of Trooper 2 joystick and was trying to setup in the Atari 7800, it worked on the console menu but not on games. The solution is to setup the joystick first on the MrFPGA menu, before entering the Core. After I did that, the joystick worked on the 2600 games runnings through the 7800 core.

I didn't find this tip anywhere on the net after a Google search, I hope that posting here will help other people facing this issue.
Regards

Yes this is what you have to do with every device. To let the MiSTer know what your input device is capable and to which internal input the button or direction should be mapped it is necessary to register the controller in the MiSTer main menu first.

Only after you have done this you can map the controller to any core.

Just imagine it as an explanation of your device for the MiSTer. Great simplicifaction incoming: Without this the MiSTer may understand in general that there is a button press (it may work in the menus) but it doesn't know how to name the specific input and without this the MiSTer isn't able to properly give the core the correct command when a button is pressed.