How to Run Problematic Games

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: How to Run Problematic Games

Unread post by akeley »

I found some more examples of games which will only work on Tandy 1000 with the old xtide bios (Pirates!, Aaargh, Three Stooges, and more), so this is not just about Sierra games.

spark2k06
Core Developer

Unread post by spark2k06 »

akeley wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:05 am

I found some more examples of games which will only work on Tandy 1000 with the old xtide bios (Pirates!, Aaargh, Three Stooges, and more), so this is not just about Sierra games.

Therefore, the possibility of adding the current XTIDE option as an alternative, instead of the default, should be considered.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Sure, that was my suggestion in a previous post.

This problem seems to be limited to Tandy only (which is strange, since that Full Operation Mode in new BIOS was supposed to actually benefit Tandy 1000 gfx). However, I think the new xtide contained in the XT roms ( micro8088/pcxt31) works better than the old one, since now you can run BASICA games, and everything else seems to work too - so I would leave them in as default.

Please note these are only my observations, which may or may not be correct (to some degree) and should be taken with a pinch of salt, since they are based on a very limited knowledge and data sample. Ideally, it'd really help if some more people could confirm/refute these findings and expande the scope of testing too.

rcblanke

Unread post by rcblanke »

FWIW, I'm happy to see Turbo Basic (and applications written in TB) are now working correctly with the 'Full Operation Mode' roms. Previously Turbo Basic would report disk access problems, or crash the system altogether.