Operation Wolf and Rolling Thunder

thefirebutton

Operation Wolf and Rolling Thunder

Unread post by thefirebutton »

Does anyone know if anyone is working on a core for either of these two games? I think Op Wolf uses the same hardware as Rastan, and its protection chip was reverse engineered a while ago so I have hope for that one. Anyone heard anything on the grapevine...?

Gryzor

Re: Operation Wolf and Rolling Thunder

Unread post by Gryzor »

Rolling Thunder is one of my favourites too and you can play it on Robert Peip‘s PSX-core via „Namco Museum Encore“. It‘s glorious and a close to perfect port :)
As for Operation Wolf, Jotego seems most likely to look into that one, but we have to be patient with his team, as they‘re juggling an insane number of tasks right now.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

In the meantime, Operation Wolf has a pretty good port on the PC Engine (Turbografx), and if you have ao486 set up, that port looks great too, although I haven’t tried it myself.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

The FM-Towns Core isn't working yet. But i think this is the best home port for Operation Wolf.

TobyRieper

Unread post by TobyRieper »

Oooh op wolf would be fab. My favourite gun game.

pepito

Unread post by pepito »

two very nice games!
Hope to see them soon on Mister.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I have only played it on the NES and it is fun there, but using the gamepad, not the light gun. Does Operation Wolf require a light gun, or does the gun move an invisible cursor around? Is there any version of it that uses analog controls on any console? I would love to use my Star Wars arcade controller with that game.

Edit: Already researched this. It is a light gun game in the arcade. Probably the DOS version is my best bet for using my Star Wars arcade controller. I will definitely have to give this a whirl! It would be great if the arcade MiSTer port will support analog joystick with a cursor when it comes out (someday).

Edit 2: It looks like Mame might be a great option in the meantime. That is what I will use until it gets released on the MiSTer.

Edit 3: The Sinden Light Gun with Recoil looks pretty sweet. Edit again: seems that it has some lag to it.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

From what I've seen Namco 86 arcade hardware had a lot of custom chips so needs a lot of work but would be nice to have Rolling Thunder and Metrocross one day

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

thorr wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:56 pm

Already researched this. It is a light gun game in the arcade. Probably the DOS version is my best bet for using my Star Wars arcade controller. I will definitely have to give this a whirl! It would be great if the arcade MiSTer port will support analog joystick with a cursor when it comes out (someday).

Interestingly, it wasn’t! Operation Wolf used a mechanical control that fed the motion of the gun through the stand to register where the gun was being pointed on the screen. So it’s not a light gun game internally, would of course be great to play it with light gun support if anyone makes a core. :)

Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Armakuni wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:46 am

From what I've seen Namco 86 arcade hardware had a lot of custom chips so needs a lot of work but would be nice to have Rolling Thunder and Metrocross one day

Seems like someone is looking into it, not sure if he's interested in Mister though:

https://github.com/wemblykj/FPGA_System86

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

Fallon wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:39 pm
Armakuni wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:46 am

Seems like someone is looking into it, not sure if he's interested in Mister though:

https://github.com/wemblykj/FPGA_System86

Someone should be able to fork it for MiSTer if it's completed

thefirebutton

Unread post by thefirebutton »

limi wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm
thorr wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:56 pm

Already researched this. It is a light gun game in the arcade. Probably the DOS version is my best bet for using my Star Wars arcade controller. I will definitely have to give this a whirl! It would be great if the arcade MiSTer port will support analog joystick with a cursor when it comes out (someday).

Interestingly, it wasn’t! Operation Wolf used a mechanical control that fed the motion of the gun through the stand to register where the gun was being pointed on the screen. So it’s not a light gun game internally, would of course be great to play it with light gun support if anyone makes a core. :)

Are you sure? I think I read somewhere that Op Wolf was a light gun and Op Thunderbolt had a mechanical control. Next time I visit arcade club and completely hog the cab, I'll test it out by covering the gun muzzle with my hand...

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

thefirebutton wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:33 pm
limi wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm

Are you sure? I think I read somewhere that Op Wolf was a light gun and Op Thunderbolt had a mechanical control. Next time I visit arcade club and completely hog the cab, I'll test it out by covering the gun muzzle with my hand...

I am not deep into the arcade scene, so maybe I have some bad third-hand info.

From https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=8927

Gun: Positional with trigger

And from a repair thread: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/thread ... st-3522660

If the sensor board is definitely ok, then the XY position for the gun is buffered at IC's 55 (low 8 bits horizontal), 50 (low 8 bits vertical) and 38 (top two bits of each). There are 3 horizontal counters at IC 53, 54, 37 and the vertical counterparts at 48,49,46. The lightgun signal enters this area at IC26.

I thought this meant that the positioning is mechanical, but covering up the gun will still make it not work, since it uses the flashing on the screen? But maybe I am mis-reading the descriptions and that’s not what it means. :)

TobyRieper

Unread post by TobyRieper »

Yeah Op Wolf used an optical sensor and they die alot :( I'd love to get my hands on an Op Wolf Cabinet. First Lightgun game I ever played.