I Miss That C Button

cathrynmataga

I Miss That C Button

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Using an X-Box controller, and yeah, I can still play, but it's just not right without that C-button. I miss it. Not sure if I care enough to find an original controller, but I can see the point of getting one.

DevilHunterWolf

Re: I Miss That C Button

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Have you looked into Retro-Bit's controllers? Their wired ones are pretty cheap and rank pretty good for wired latency. And with the Saturn core on the horizon, the Saturn or Genesis style 8 button controller may be worth a pickup. Front 6 for everything Genesis, full 8 for Saturn.
Beiriannydd

Unread post by Beiriannydd »

With Nintendo adding Sega Genesis/MegaDrive to their service, the US is getting a Switch Compatible 3 button pad and Japan is getting a 6 button one. Shaped as per the originals.
cathrynmataga

Thanks,I'll do some googling on this. I'm not such a perfectionist that I need exactly the Genesis controller, but no, R just isn't right as the C-button. I still have some decades old muscle memory that expects the button to be there.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I'm a bit suspect on recent Nintendo's input lag. The Switch seems to have a ridiculously low USB polling rate of 16 ms and the Pro Controller ranks about that poorly on the Mister latency chart. Their NES/SNES controllers did not have wired connection (nor the joy-cons) so we do not yet have another recent Nintendo device to compare. So these new controller from them may not perform any better on latency.

In the meantime Retrobit has several Genesis/Saturn controllers, although I'm not so sure on the build quality. My saturn one broke its d-pad after several months and I've seen people online complaining about different parts breaking. 8bitdo's m30 is still working for me, the 2.4ghz "for genesis mini" still has very low wired latency (under 2 ms), and even wireless with the 2.4 dongle works pretty well. Bluetooth version is a bit slower even wired so watch out for that.
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

When using a controller with 4 face buttons for 3 button Sega games I sometimes set it up like this.
AB
BC

I did that covers most of the bases for games that use A or B as the main fire button so to speak.
cathrynmataga

I can see that. That'll let me rock my finger either from A-B or from B-C. I think better than R, which is not really working for me.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

I use an 8bitdo M30 Bluetooth controller as my main, and I recommend it totally. The input latency is perfectly acceptable to me over Bluetooth. It can also be used in wired mode.
ChloeIsFab

Unread post by ChloeIsFab »

barfood wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:53 pm I use an 8bitdo M30 Bluetooth controller as my main, and I recommend it totally. The input latency is perfectly acceptable to me over Bluetooth. It can also be used in wired mode.
Second this, I use the M30 bluetooth too and I never notice an issue with latency
kalach.x

Unread post by kalach.x »

I use PS5 controller and always set
AX
BC
with X being repeated for whatever button is for fire in any given game and I enable auto fire. Additional XYZ buttons from 6 button pad I set for triggers and usually these buttons are not used anyways.

Imho Nintendo nailed it with diamond shaped button layout on SNES and it is even better when only three buttons are used by game and one button is free to remap as turbo button. I always found confusing to have six buttons in row on original SEGA gamepads. Maybe it is because of getting used to SNES/PSX layout but still.
aeronius

Unread post by aeronius »

A little late to the party here but the 3-button controllers that come with the Sega Genesis Mini work just fine. They're USB so they plug right in, and they feel great and are recognized without any hassle. Just do the regular controller setup for the menu and the core and you're good to go. I use Start+B to bring up the OSD.

I also tried the Retro-Bit 6-button USB controller but it crapped out on me within 10 minutes. It was a shame because it felt great and the build quality seemed to be good. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I've also modded my two original 6-button controllers (MK-1653), my two original SNES controllers, AND my two original NES controllers with the bluetooth mod boards from 8bitdo. At $20 a pop it was a bit pricey, but they work great and definitely help get that "authentic" feel when playing games. I wish they would make one for the 3-button controller but oh well lol.

Here's a pic of my 3-button Sega Genesis Mini controller hooked up to my naked DE10. Forgive the mess!
20220518_220327.jpg
20220518_220327.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 10361 times
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

aeronius wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:31 am A little late to the party here but the 3-button controllers that come with the Sega Genesis Mini work just fine. They're USB so they plug right in, and they feel great and are recognized without any hassle. Just do the regular controller setup for the menu and the core and you're good to go. I use Start+B to bring up the OSD.

I also tried the Retro-Bit 6-button USB controller but it crapped out on me within 10 minutes. It was a shame because it felt great and the build quality seemed to be good. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I've also modded my two original 6-button controllers (MK-1653), my two original SNES controllers, AND my two original NES controllers with the bluetooth mod boards from 8bitdo. At $20 a pop it was a bit pricey, but they work great and definitely help get that "authentic" feel when playing games. I wish they would make one for the 3-button controller but oh well lol.

Here's a pic of my 3-button Sega Genesis Mini controller hooked up to my naked DE10. Forgive the mess!

20220518_220327.jpg
What a pity the the Retro-Bit failed, I have 2 in constant use (USB and 9-Pin) and both worked fine. I also have the Sega Genesis Mini, this pad feels great too. I found both pretty similar in terms of comfor.
derFunkenstein

Unread post by derFunkenstein »

The 8bitdo M30 2.4G for Genesis Mini is a great wireless option for MiSTer, as well. I use it not just for Sega games but also a lot of arcade cores. Perfect layout CPS1 and CPS2, since I prefer D-pads to arcade sticks. The L and R buttons are discrete from the Z and C buttons, so once the Saturn core becomes stable I think it'll be the controller of choice.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

for me using Xbox contler layout for Genesis is unacceptable.it works for SNES,but not for Sega cores.

I have 4 different contollers for Mister: wired Hori (Sanwa) Arcade stick for Arcade/NeoGeo,
8Bitdo SN30 Pro for SNES/GBA
8Bitdo M30 for All Sega games (and sometimes for arcade/NEOGEO/ATARI too)
and 8Bitdo TG16 for PC ENGINE

using these 8Bitdo's with 8Bitdo wireless adapter not Bluetooth

If I had to choose one all rounder,it would be 8BitDo M30 without any doubt.

Allejo

Unread post by Allejo »

For Genesis and Saturn I use the Retroflag Genesis controller, it's been great so far and only has 1.437 ms of latency, according to this https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

The Retro-bit 8-button wired USB Genesis controller is also a good option I can recommend, with 1.01ms latency. I've been using one for a while with no issues.

(The Retro-bit 6-button controller mentioned earlier is known to have problems, but the 8-button version resolved those.)

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

there's no way around it,you'd need multiple comntrollers for the best experience.
the button layout is very important.

I use Retro-Bit 2.4Ghz official Sega Saturn / Sega Genesis pad / 8Bitdo M30 2.4Ghz for Sega Cores (works very well for arcade/Atari cores too) and either Sony Dual Shock 4 / 8Bitdo SN30 Pro / Xbox Series pad (with PC dongle) for Nintendo Cores / Playstation / NEOGEO

For NEC PC Engine I use 8Bitdo's 2.4Ghz PC Engine Pad.

Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

i'm pretty torn between 8bitdo's M30 and retrobit's Saturn , problem is i do NOT want to invest in a USB microB device ever anymore
( i've retrofitted my DualShock4 to typeC even :P )

but there is hope:
RetroBit was supposed to release a Saturn-themed "pro" controller that includes 2 mini joysticks :

wene15x5f0u91.jpg
wene15x5f0u91.jpg (152.81 KiB) Viewed 5261 times

looks pretty noice but no news of release apart from "Q2 2023" :cry:

EDIT ; it has come to my attention that the 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz now has an updated revision, at least with the saturn white one you do get usb-c and perhaps other improvements somewhere, it's not really mentionned or advertized anywhere

Ciut7F3.jpeg
Ciut7F3.jpeg (130.32 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

I have 8Bitdo M30,RetroBit Saturn and RetroBit Genesis pads,the Retro-Bit pads are a little better imo.
they look and feel identical to Sega Pads and the D-Pad feels slightly better.
8BitDo M30 is great too but I rate Retro-Bit slightly higher.

Koston

Unread post by Koston »

Original used Mega Drive controllers are very common and cheap on eBay, though it's difficult to gauge for a specific unit's condition. Benefit is SNAC hookup and 100% original feeling.

HORI fighting commander pads are one option, they have the original MD 6-button pad layout, very low input lag and strong reputation for accuracy and durability. I am personally satisfied with my controller selection, but so many people whose opinion I value have recommended them, I'll be getting one to add to the collection.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Retrobit controller is officially licensed by Sega.
identical quality and feel of the original + home button for Mister.
the best pad for Sega Genesis,32X and Sega CD cores.

IMG-5013.jpg
IMG-5013.jpg (95.12 KiB) Viewed 5259 times