Arcade CRT Kind of Working

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Sharpfork

Arcade CRT Kind of Working

Unread post by Sharpfork »

Thank you in advance for any help :D :)

I have a Galaga arcade cabinet with a WG k4600 and kinda have things working.
My setup:
Mister with analog board -> Jpac with no jumpers set (direct passthrough) -> Jamma to Galaga converter.

Good: I've been able to get this setup working, sort of... Games like Galaga, Arkanoid, and Donley Kong work great.
Not Good: If I try to launch games like Zaxon or DoDonPachi (and many others) the monitor doesn't sync.

Any Mister config recommendations (ini at end of post)
other info:

• Not sure if it is relevant or not, but the monitor doesn't sync right on boot until the mister menu pops up.
  • I'm not super experienced with adjusting arcade monitors. I messed around with the Horizontal size as well as the Vertical Size and V Hold (V and H are what is printed on the adjustment, it is mounted tate)
  • I ran the 240p test suite in the SNES core and everything looks decent.

Code: Select all

key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0   ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0       ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=0          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
                       ; 4 - integer resolution scaling, use core aspect ratio
                       ; 5 - integer resolution scaling, maintain display aspect ratio
vscale_border=0        ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0          ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig. 
;mouse_throttle=10     ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0    ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0             ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0         ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
                       ; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0         ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
hdr=0                  ; 1 - enable HDR using the BT2020 color space (faux-HDR, use color controls to tweak).
                       ; 2 - enable HDR using the DCI P3 color space.
                       ; 3 - enable HDR without color space conversion.
fb_size=0              ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30         ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 0 - never timeout.
                       ; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
video_off=0            ; output black frame in Menu core after timeout (is seconds). Valid only if osd_timout is non zero.
osd_rotate=1           ; Display OSD menu rotated,  0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)                  
vga_sog=0 ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).

Code: Select all

; calculated mode: width,height,refresh[,flags]
;  example: video_mode=1920,1200,60
; flags - cvt=CVT timing, cvtrb=CVT-RB timing (default)
; video_mode=0
rS27uVC.jpg
rS27uVC.jpg (162.64 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
aeCihK5.jpg
aeCihK5.jpg (197.92 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Arcade CRT Kind of Working

Unread post by thorr »

Sharpfork wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:53 pm

Thank you in advance for any help :D :)

I have a Galaga arcade cabinet with a WG k4600 and kinda have things working.
My setup:
Mister with analog board -> Jpac with no jumpers set (direct passthrough) -> Jamma to Galaga converter.

Good: I've been able to get this setup working, sort of... Games like Galaga, Arkanoid, and Donley Kong work great.
Not Good: If I try to launch games like Zaxon or DoDonPachi (and many others) the monitor doesn't sync.

It's possible that the monitor can't sync to all of the strange settings, and it might also be possible that some cores are configured for PAL or other timings that you can fix in the core menu (use and HDMI monitor to see what you are changing). Worst case, you can use the scaler for the problem cores and set up a 240p mode. You can do this in the ini file with a [corename] section for each core.

Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

Looks like you need to adjust h hold or h freq.

Sharpfork

seems like this is monitor hardware/ adjustment related. Thanks for all the replies.

MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

Did you fix it ? If so what did you end up doing ?

Sharpfork

MikeS1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:01 pm

Did you fix it ? If so what did you end up doing ?

I haven't fixed it yet. I'm planning on replacing the capacitors in the arcade monitor and messing with adjustments afterward.