How to Map Coleco Controller Buttons

mef

How to Map Coleco Controller Buttons

Unread post by mef »

So... new MiSTer user.
I've got my Colecovision roms loaded up and ready to go, and I purchased a couple vintage Colecovision controllers to go with them.
(The experience just isn't fully authentic without those old ridiculous things...)

I wasn't sure how to connect them, so bought both of the following adapters.
- 2600-daptor http://www.2600-daptor.com/ 2600-daptor D9
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LCTP9TQ/

The problem is, (and it is the same challenge with both adapters): I cannot for the life of me figure out how to map the buttons. The stick works and the first fire button maps. But the second button and the number pad are not recognized and have no effect when attempting mapping. No number pad means I can't even start the games (with the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 menu).

I also can't seem to use keyboard numbers when the joysticks are plugged in. (With other joysticks and multiple buttons, yes. So I _can_ play coleco games using, say, an arcade controller. But with the coleco controller I can't even start the games.)

Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you!
Brettster

Re: How to Map Coleco Controller Buttons

Unread post by Brettster »

Does this adaptor actually support more than one fire button per stick?
if you plug it into a windows PC can you use the controller test and see more buttons?
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
mef

Unread post by mef »

Thanks. Good questions.

I don't have a windows PC to test on, but for each of the adaptors I've tried, from their marketing info:

- The icode one says: "Supports single button and dual button Atari joysticks" (No mention of colecovision joysticks, but...)
- The 2600-daptor says: "Colecovision" support. To me, that implies at least the two fire buttons, and possibly the keypads.

I guess a different question is: is there any adaptor someone can recommend that is known to work with the Colecovision core and all the Colecovision joystick buttons?
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

If you have the 2600-daptor D9....are you holding the 0 key on keypad as you plug it into the Mister's USB port?
I don't have one to test, but it may also be necessary to hold the 0 key down while powering up the mister if already plugged in.
iwantchai

Unread post by iwantchai »

mef wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:32 am

Thanks. Good questions.

I don't have a windows PC to test on, but for each of the adaptors I've tried, from their marketing info:

• The icode one says: "Supports single button and dual button Atari joysticks" (No mention of colecovision joysticks, but...)
  • The 2600-daptor says: "Colecovision" support. To me, that implies at least the two fire buttons, and possibly the keypads.

I guess a different question is: is there any adaptor someone can recommend that is known to work with the Colecovision core and all the Colecovision joystick buttons?

The iCode plus editions of adapters do support ColecoVision joystick including the keypad. This is fairly new with their firmware update 8.4 last month. See https://www.icode.com/downloads and https://www.icode.com/icode-atari-adapters-comparison

Also, your iCode device needs to be at least hardware level 10 (2023 or higher models) for this firmware.

iwantchai

Hello all. Yes, the iCode Duo Plus and Plus Pro USB adapters do support ColecoVision Controllers including both buttons and keypad. It even lets you connect two controllers at the same time on a single device for two player games! See this video for a walkthrough on how to quickly setup. https://youtu.be/EB9UegShVdM

staticfade2023

Unread post by staticfade2023 »

iwantchai wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:22 am

Hello all. Yes, the iCode Duo Plus and Plus Pro USB adapters do support ColecoVision Controllers including both buttons and keypad. It even lets you connect two controllers at the same time on a single device for two player games! See this video for a walkthrough on how to quickly setup. https://youtu.be/EB9UegShVdM

I purchased the icode duo pro plus (the one in the linked video) and I for some reason cannot get it to work in games. I have followed the video mentioned exactly. I have it in Coleco mode I have mapped the controller in the Core. The weird thing is I can go into Mister's Controller mapping in the Colecovision core and it will allow me to map all the things (fire buttons, up down left right and all numbers etc). I have done this with two different colecovision controllers (original ones) and the Super Action Controllers. All let me map all the buttons etc. However as soon as I get in any game nothing works. For instances for Donkey Kong...first thing is to hit a number to start play. I cannot. I look at the iCode device and it shows that I am hitting 1 but the game doesn't respond to it. Any ideas on what I can do?

iwantchai

Hi. Please update to firmware 9.01 and let me know of you still have any trouble. Colecovision support was significantly enhanced with the update

trz34

Unread post by trz34 »

Hello All,

Can anyone confirm if the 2600-daptor D9 will allow the use of Flashback Colecovision controllers with the Coelco core on the Mister? I see some said the Intellvision Flashback controllers work which is great but cant find any confimrations about the Coleco Flashback controllers. Has anyone tried/tested this by chance?