MiSTer to Amiga 2002 Monitor

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
JThor6

MiSTer to Amiga 2002 Monitor

Unread post by JThor6 »

New here - I did a search on the forums and didn't find an answer to this. I have an analog I/O so I'm trying to connect my MiSTer to an Amiga 2002 Monitor with RGB.

I bought the 1084S cable and then got a female to female cord to make sure it can go from the analog I/O to the monitor.

I've followed some instructions on ini settings but can't seem to get the monitor to react in any way to a signal coming in. I feel like I may be completely missing something or maybe the 1084S and the 2002 are just too different.

Any feedback or possible ideas would be a huge help. I can add photos later.

limi
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer to Amiga 2002 Monitor

Unread post by limi »

It should definitely work. Have you double checked all your MiSTer.ini settings, and have you tested the monitor with any other computers or cables?

I use the analog board with my Commodore 1084, which is very similar.

If you know for sure that the monitor is working, I’d also look up the pin-outs, the cable you have may not be wired in the correct way. Do you have a multimeter handy to verify? (They are very cheap, $10-20 for a serviceable one, always useful to have around)

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/mlcomp4.html

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

limi wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:49 am

It should definitely work. Have you double checked all your MiSTer.ini settings, and have you tested the monitor with any other computers or cables?

Lemi, I can't remember my Commodore Monitor #s anymore apparently, so I thought the OP was referring to the A2024 "Hedley Hi-Res" monitor.

Anyway, would that work?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

No, the 2024 does its own trickery to pull off what it was doing:

The monitor is quite unique in that it contains an internal framebuffer which is controlled via the RGBI lines of the video port, which means it probably won't work on anything but an Amiga. As there's no pixel clock, the exact sample rate must be fine tuned at the back of the monitor, much in the same way you do with scandoublers and flicker fixers. The monitor manages to achieve the high resolutions by effectively buffering four Amiga screens, whereby each screen displays a portion of the overall picture. Because of this, the "effective" refresh rate decreases to around 10-15Hz (software configurable), whereby the 10Hz mode uses 16 colour low-res and the 15Hz mode uses 8 colour hi-res.

https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboa ... spx?id=863

It has its own special driver that is required on the Amiga side, too.

JThor6

Unread post by JThor6 »

Thank you for the quick replies! I think it may need to be re-pinned. I could get it to flash white when toggling the switches.

Looks like there are plenty of Amiga 1084 S monitors out there in the wild.

kv8080

Unread post by kv8080 »

With my 2002, I never got the 1084 cables I bought to work at all and ended up rolling my own, even though they should have had the same pinout. With the analog board, that got me picture but no sync, so at least I could tell the input was sort of working. Then I tried direct video and that worked perfectly, for no discernable reason. I hope you get it working!