Apple IIGS MiSTer Core Progress

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Apple IIGS MiSTer Core Progress

Unread post by Newsdee »

duke_fsc wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:27 pm You don't imagine how I am happy to find someone who loves like me or even more the Apple //xx platforms
I love the Apple IIe, I have two in working condition. I no longer use floppies though; I dumped all of them around 2007 and now use a CFFA that I snagged some years ago.

I tried to use my disk drives recently (2019) but they seem to be uncalibrated. It's probably less work to get a floppy emu working, or to just use ADT Pro.

Joysticks need some work for the MiSTer core, I succesfully used a USB adapter but noticed the core needs a calibration function as the center defaults to a wrong value (which I suppose is bound to happen with analog controls)

I'm hoping for floppy write to make it to the IIe core, but I understand its tricky. A IIgs core might come first.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:01 am
duke_fsc wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:27 pm You don't imagine how I am happy to find someone who loves like me or even more the Apple //xx platforms
I love the Apple IIe, I have two in working condition. I no longer use floppies though; I dumped all of them around 2007 and now use a CFFA that I snagged some years ago.

I tried to use my disk drives recently (2019) but they seem to be uncalibrated. It's probably less work to get a floppy emu working, or to just use ADT Pro.

Joysticks need some work for the MiSTer core, I succesfully used a USB adapter but noticed the core needs a calibration function as the center defaults to a wrong value (which I suppose is bound to happen with analog controls)

I'm hoping for floppy write to make it to the IIe core, but I understand its tricky. A IIgs core might come first.
Regarding the joystick, I took a CH Products Mach III apart, removed the existing cable and soldered in a small arduino and turned it into a 3-button USB joystick. I haven't tried it in the Apple II core yet, but it works in everything else perfectly centered. I had a USB adapter also previously and I had the same problems with it not being centered. If you don't want to take the joystick apart, you could make your own Arduino adapter externally. I had two PC based Mach III's and one Apple II one, so I used one of the PC ones and still have one of each type left besides the USB one.

Regarding the floppy, the floppyemu is really a great way to go (or a CFFA if you have slots and can find one).

Regarding getting floppy writes to work, the source code for AppleWin might be a good place to figure out how it works (or anything else for that matter): https://github.com/AppleWin/AppleWin/tree/master/source I think they got .nib files working with writing too. Since I have a real //c, I haven't really used the MiSTer for this much.
vikinge

Unread post by vikinge »

I have my old //GS working. about to start converting some old disks. Can my physical access to GS help with the Apple //GS misterCore project? My goal is to reboot the GS and run on misterCore for the future
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Just a bump. Does anyone know if this core is still being worked on? I just noticed it has been exactly one year since the first post in this thread, so hopefully there is some progress.

alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

thorr wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:09 am

Just a bump. Does anyone know if this core is still being worked on? I just noticed it has been exactly one year since the first post in this thread, so hopefully there is some progress.

It is not moving as quickly as I would like. Luckily Gyurco fixed the Apple II disk drive on MiST, so I will try to port that to our iie, and see if i can get it working on the iigs (eventually). Maybe in a few months we might get back to the iigs? I have been working on other projects unfortunately. If anyone wants to help fix the verilog, that would be amazing!

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

alanswx wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:22 pm

Luckily Gyurco fixed the Apple II disk drive on MiST, so I will try to port that to our iie

If it means proper write-to-disk ability, it'd be awesome - it's my personal Holy Grail of missing features on MiSTer. Good luck!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

It is not moving as quickly as I would like. Luckily Gyurco fixed the Apple II disk drive on MiST, so I will try to port that to our iie, and see if i can get it working on the iigs (eventually). Maybe in a few months we might get back to the iigs? I have been working on other projects unfortunately. If anyone wants to help fix the verilog, that would be amazing!

Thanks! I really appreciate the update.

AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Hi there! Any news about Apple II disk drive writing?

alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

AmintaMister wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:40 am

So far I am losing to the new code.. I hooked it up, but it doesn't work.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

alanswx wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:57 pm

Thank you for continuing to work on this. If you haven't already, you may want to reach out to Steve from BigMessOWires, the creator of the FloppyEmu. He's a really great guy and may be willing to help.

alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

thorr wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:55 pm
alanswx wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:57 pm

Thank you for continuing to work on this. If you haven't already, you may want to reach out to Steve from BigMessOWires, the creator of the FloppyEmu. He's a really great guy and may be willing to help.

This turned out to be something silly. The ram wasn't being inferred. I made some progress, thanks for the push. Now one floppy seems to work. Not sure why the 2nd doesn't work. More debugging. (I add the second floppy and both break!)

ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

I don't remember the exact details, but back when I tried to add 2-drive support I had a couple of problems that were something to do with the track buffer not being cleared/reloaded correctly. In theory only one drive per Disk II card can be active/spinning at any given time (physical momentum of the spindle notwithstanding), so only one track buffer should be necessary, but I believe adding the second drive introduces at least one new transition (the selected drive is changed while "the" motor was already on) that some of the existing logic might not account for.

alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Try this Apple II RBF. I need to add in my prodos compatible clock card for the next release as well.

Attachments
Apple-II.rbf
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Just another friendly bump. Do you have any idea about when you will start working on the IIgs? Do you know if the mouse is the same as the IIe or different? I am only asking because if they are the same, you could get the mouse done in the IIe as a last step to complete the IIe core since it will be needed by the IIgs anyway, and then use what you can to port over to the IIgs. Without referring to my wish list in the other thread, the only other major thing that I can think of for the IIe core would be to add a second Mockingboard for Ultima games that support it. Thanks!

alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

thorr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Just another friendly bump. Do you have any idea about when you will start working on the IIgs? Do you know if the mouse is the same as the IIe or different? I am only asking because if they are the same, you could get the mouse done in the IIe as a last step to complete the IIe core since it will be needed by the IIgs anyway, and then use what you can to port over to the IIgs. Without referring to my wish list in the other thread, the only other major thing that I can think of for the IIe core would be to add a second Mockingboard for Ultima games that support it. Thanks!

I am pretty sure the mouse is different. It is ADB on the iigs.

ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

From documentation (I didn't see an obviously valid way to test this on MAME or KEGS), it looks like the mouse card was officially supported on IIgs, but most likely very few real-world systems had that configuration. The support was probably intended for people who bought the (unpopular, now an elusive collector's item) IIe-to-IIgs conversion and already owned the card and mouse. The IIgs does have an internal "mouse card" mapped to slot 4, but that seems to consist of some firmware routines that read the ADB GLU registers, not a full clone of the mouse card.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

bump - just hoping this will happen eventually