Here We Go! (New User Troubleshooting some issues)

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Supremej

Here We Go! (New User Troubleshooting some issues)

Unread post by Supremej »

Hey I just bought a Preconfigured Mister off Ebay with Analog IO. Bear with me as I try to get on the right track with some issues I seem to be having. I will try my best to explain things as best I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Okay Here we Go!

I got my unit and got it set up on my CRT (sony trinitron kv36300) At first couldn't get analog to work (vga to component) Finally found the ini file and set the unit to YPBR and finally turned vga scaler off. I couldn't get the Fast USB Polling to run due to Framebuffer setting which I finally set to zero. I had to hook back up to hdmi to get these settings right. I then noticed that I didn't have GBA games and that I didn't have the saturn core. I decided to run Update.all It ran and added some things and removed some things too many to count but still no GBA Games show and no Saturn core show. So I tried to go back into my ini file and just check and change somethings so see if I didnt have some form of box checked to get those things but since the update.all ran and finished whenever I attempt to get into the ini. I press enter and I approve to go into the file but the screen flashes very quickly like It opens and gives a message of some sort but closes immediately so I can't see anything. I have tried to open it on both analog and hdmi to no avail.

Also How do I check if my update.all is up to date and I'm getting the proper builds. I would like to update my Mister properly. I have downloaded Ypsilons updater but I don't know if thats the right thing to do also I don't know how to get that thing installed and running. I have networking up. I have RTC running. And Fast Polling flashes and is running. Do I have to run that script everytime I boot? Please link me to the Beginners guide the Forum recommends if these questions are stall.

I know its a bad read I will try to proof read and edit properly. Any Help would be appreciated. Also Peace Be Upon You All.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Here We Go! (New User Troubleshooting some issues)

Unread post by bazza_12 »

As far as I'm aware the Saturn core isn't publicly available yet. You may need to be a patreon of the dev who's doing it to get access to beta versions.
GBA roms you'll have to d/load yourself, Google is your friend.

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Welcome onboard :)
I can't help on CRT displays, unfortunately
The update_all script auto-updates itself to the latest version every time you launch it, and if you adjust its options (press arrow down quickly after launching the script) you can modify default options and repositories for the script.
Personally I run the script (manually) every few days or once a week, that's enough to keep my MiSTer reasonably up to date.
The Saturn core is still in alpha state, and update_all only provides stable cores by default; you can download the core (and other non-stable ones) from the Mister fpga Discord channel(s) or from the authors' github repositiories.
As a general rule you have to provide your own roms/programs to run, as most of them are protected by copyright and can only be used by legit owners of the original media (CDs, cartridges, tapes, whatever).
Enjoy your MiSTer!

Supremej

Unread post by Supremej »

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
As for when I try to open the INI it flashes a screen and closes very quick to where I can't even see the message it gives. Any Idea what's causing that?

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

you'll have to edit the mister.ini on a pc, your settings aren't quite right. try changing direct_video=1 and fb_terminal=1

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Honestly I'm not sure I'm getting where/what happens ("opening the INI")...
If you connect a USB keyboard to your mister, press F9 to launch a terminal (usr: root, pwd: 1 by default) then you may use the basic Linux tools and editors
For a somehow easier experience there's Midnight Commander pre-installed, you launch it with "mc" in the terminal; just be careful, being root you can damage just about anything quite easily. MC sports an integrated editor among other functions.
If you have a PC then you can connect to the mister via ssh (use PuTTY if on Windows) remotely.
Hope this helps

Supremej wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:39 pm

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
As for when I try to open the INI it flashes a screen and closes very quick to where I can't even see the message it gives. Any Idea what's causing that?

tclaus00

Unread post by tclaus00 »

Personally, I would just start from scratch and do a fresh install. I got a pre configured system and it had some weirdness to it that was cleared up after doing a clean install.

You can follow here: https://ultimatemister.com/how-to-install-mr-fusion/

Like previously stated, you'll only get the arcade games from update all. All console games and computer software needs to be loaded manually by the user due to copyright. Most cores are pretty straightforward but they will require specific rom or file types. Each core can have a learning curve especially the computer cores.