SD Card Not Booting Anymore

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
HerrBerzerk

SD Card Not Booting Anymore

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Hi,

maybe it was my fault, I don't know, but my SD-Card is not booting anymore. The Mister_Data partition is still there and I'm doing a backup right now. I'll check for the Linux partition later in a virtual machine.

Any hints how to get a working SD-Card asap? Can I make the Linux partition bootable again? Or do I have to format, reinstall Mister, going through the whole download process and after the swap the Mister_Data partition with the old one?

Thank you!

thorr
Top Contributor

Re: SD Card Not Booting Anymore

Unread post by thorr »

If I were you, I would just back everything up, do a clean install, run the update, run the update_all and then copy only the files you need. You will get an up to date MiSTer.ini file and it will clean up a lot of old junk. I just did this on one of my MiSTer's and it is nice to have the old junk gone.

HerrBerzerk

It seems the SD-Card itself is broken. Can't format it anymore. Well, this installation was pretty recent. I bought a new SD-Card, very expensive, Sandisk Max endurable or something like this to prevent what just happened :-)

Well, I'll probably go the way of another complete new installation then...

kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

@HerrBerzerk,
Have you tried DISKPART (under CMD) ?
Sometimes the usual format doesn't work while DISKPART could do it. (I had several times the case)
Just need to pay attention by playing with this command, because for the same price, you can destroy your local drive :-)

かすりん

ntt

Unread post by ntt »

That was bad luck @Herrberzerk, sorry to hear that...
If you're forced to reinstall from scratch, I'd recommend creating immediately afterwards a clone of the base installation (say everything except the Games directory) on a small SD card using Natrox's Migration utility
That way you can recreate the base mister installation on any SD card in a matter of minutes (the scripts takes care of adjusting partitions size automatically), directly on the mister itself.
Personally I take for granted that any SD card will fail one day or another, and keeping a "mister template" ready on a small SD card speeds up the recovery process considerably.
For instance I use SD two cards - not even of the same size - and periodically clone the master onto the backup SD, just in case.

HerrBerzerk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:17 pm

It seems the SD-Card itself is broken. Can't format it anymore. Well, this installation was pretty recent. I bought a new SD-Card, very expensive, Sandisk Max endurable or something like this to prevent what just happened :-)

Well, I'll probably go the way of another complete new installation then...

HerrBerzerk

Thank you for all the tips and hints. I was indeed able to format it again under linux while windows was failing. After formatting I ran h2testw and it reported no error. h2testw is a tool to check for faked SD-Cards. Needs forever. https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

I will try Natrox Migration utility now. Thanks :-)