Where Is the Defect? DE10 Nano or IO Board

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Primeira_Fase

Where Is the Defect? DE10 Nano or IO Board

Unread post by Primeira_Fase »

I bought this setup of Mister, with IO VGA board (IO board + USB hub in the same board).

After about 6 months of trouble-free use, I started to suffer from a USB malfunction. The USB devices work for about 30 minutes, and then simply disable, returning to work only when restarting the mister by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cord.

So I want to know from you if the problem is the DE10 nano or the USB hub.

I discarded the power supply, because I already tested it with the original 5v 2A supply, and I also bought another 5v 4A supply, the only difference is that instead of disconnecting after 30 minutes, now it disconnects after 1h 30min or so. The original power supply is connected directly to the IO board, via USB C connector, I also tested it by connecting directly to the de10 nano, with the same results.

It seems to be a problem with capacitors on one of the boards.

I really want to buy a new board that solves my problem, but I need to know if it's the DE10 nano or the VGA IO board.

aberu
Core Developer

Re: Where Is the Defect? DE10 Nano or IO Board

Unread post by aberu »

This is likely because RetroCastle did not previously install the VBUS control portion of the USB Hub (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardwar ... ub_2.1.pdf). It's marked as optional but it probably should have not been marked optional IMO because some people consistently have a problem with some USB devices in some circumstances when it's not there. He's mentioned recently in the MiSTer FPGA discord that he's working on a solution for customers, so you should reach out to him by email.

birdybro~
Primeira_Fase

aberu wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:41 pm

This is likely because RetroCastle did not previously install the VBUS control portion of the USB Hub (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardwar ... ub_2.1.pdf). It's marked as optional but it probably should have not been marked optional IMO because some people consistently have a problem with some USB devices in some circumstances when it's not there. He's mentioned recently in the MiSTer FPGA discord that he's working on a solution for customers, so you should reach out to him by email.

Thank you so much for you reply, i will contact him!

So, IO board (IO + USB Hub) may be the problem.

Arbitrary Function

Unread post by Arbitrary Function »

Wait, so does this mean all Retrocastle MiSTers will malfunction eventually? I just got mine two days ago and knowing that it will not work in 6 months sounds terrible.

grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Probably not!
It will probably depends more on what usb devices you have installed, some will work fine others not!

Primeira_Fase

I bought a mister addons kit, without the de10 nano, to check if the problem was with the RetroCastle board, but the problem persists, the USB devices don't work, now the doubt is between the De10 nano and the linux files of the De10 .

Primeira_Fase

aberu wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:41 pm

So, as I mentioned above, I changed the IO board, but the problem persists, unfortunately, apparently the problem is in the DE10 nano.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

IO board doesnt have any USb functionality. You would need the official USb hub or an OTG hub. So you would remove the board that retrocastle supplied and fit a USB hub board/ OTG hub and an IO board to get the same level of functionality. You cant keep the retrocastle connected as he combines the USB hub and IO board and I am sure that would conflict

Primeira_Fase

Ok, só, is the faulty in DE10 nano USB otg?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

We do not know. Best is to strip the stack back to a DE10 and memory only then attach a cheap OTG Usb hub from amazon and see it it works

Primeira_Fase

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 pm

We do not know. Best is to strip the stack back to a DE10 and memory only then attach a cheap OTG Usb hub from amazon and see it it works

I turned on my DE10 NANO without the IO card and without the usb HUB to test if my problem was with the DE10 NANO, only the DE10 NANO, the memory and the SD card. And really nothing works on USB.
Help me to find out if the problem is physical or it could be in linux, or even a corrupted SD card.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You have to use an OTG cable or hub.

Primeira_Fase

I used a OTG cable, and HUB too. But nothing, i will test another SD Card now.

vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

@primeira_fase: have you found a solution?
I also have the RetroCastle i/o board and nothing works on the i/o board USBs...