Recommendation for component video switch?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
pbsk8

Recommendation for component video switch?

Unread post by pbsk8 »

So I have a sony trinitron with only one component input, and having the mister, a wii and ps2 all via component, it is a pain changing cables every time.

So my concern is if there is any kind of lag with using those component video switch, especially if using with mister.

Does anyone here use and recommend a specific brand?

MiSTer Consoles

Re: Recommendation for component video switch?

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

This one is highly recommended. It’s a little bit pricey, but switching is automatic and it has been considered one of the best component switches on the market for a long time. It also has dual output in case you want to use it with both CRT and flat screen TVs.

tclaus00

Unread post by tclaus00 »

Component signal ypbpr is analog so there is no lag introduced. What we're concerned with would be signal interferance/noise introduced by the cables or switch. I've been looking for component switchers myself. I've only come across 2, the one previously posted and ones that are around $20 on Amazon and eBay. The $300 one will give you 8 inputs and I'm sure much better noise rejection as it appears to amplify the signal. The cheap ones are passive, basically just a matrix of electrical connections, and they only have 3 inputs. If you need additional inputs you have to daisy chain the switches but it's more potential for noise. For me the cheap one works fine, just make sure to use good quality, sheilded cables.

UrkelMoeDee

Unread post by UrkelMoeDee »

A cheaper alternative to the gcomp: https://gamescarestore.com/produto/6-in ... nt-switch/

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

The above options are really expensive for me and I need for 3 consoles only.

Something like this is fine? https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005001503934624.html

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

pbsk8 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:25 pm

Something like this is fine? https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005001503934624.html

In my experience these cheap Chinese switches always introduce significant interference. If it's just to save you the inconvenience of switching connections, sure it should work but there is a reason the good solutions are priced as they are.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

AngelicLiver wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:16 pm

there is a reason the good solutions are priced as they are.

Not really, I'm using a 20 $ SCART switcher which works perfectly fine with zero interference.

The one OP linked to on Ali looks reasonably solid, though of course there's never a 100% guarantee with these things. But then, it costs about 15$, so I'd say it's worth a gamble.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

pbsk8 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:25 pm

I have been using these for both input and output switching (they can be used in reverse on a separate one) and have no apparent loss of signal. https://a.co/d/b73oWOF

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

UrkelMoeDee

Unread post by UrkelMoeDee »

This is the same one I posted above. Looks like the OP is looking for something cheaper. Not sure if there's a good automatic switcher for any less, but there should be plenty of decent manual options. This My Life in Gaming video from 2017 mentions a few low-cost options towards the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998tBzpJhVo&t=1495s

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

pbsk8 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:25 pm

So I have a sony trinitron with only one component input, and having the mister, a wii and ps2 all via component, it is a pain changing cables every time.

So my concern is if there is any kind of lag with using those component video switch, especially if using with mister.

Does anyone here use and recommend a specific brand?

A simple and cheap mechanical switch would do the trick 0 lag and all you have to do is press a button

I have a cheap gamestop branded 3x1 that also switches ethernet, composite and s-video if you want a premium mechanical switch go for the Otaku scart / component switcher which is $60 but gives 6 inputs. If you want to go off the deep end you can get a matrix switcher like an Extron Crosspoint but space time and money may be an issue with that one.

Fear is the mind killer!