Can't enter Update_All SETUP menu

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
16Bittt

Can't enter Update_All SETUP menu

Unread post by 16Bittt »

I cannot enter update all's setup menu by holding UP button anymore.
the countdown session never shows up and it goes straight to updating process.
I've already copying a fresh copy of the script from it's GitHub page to my SD Card.
any ideas why this is happening?

jca
Top Contributor

Re: Can't enter Update_All SETUP menu

Unread post by jca »

I have no idea but I would check a few things.
It uses the downloader which is supposed to be in the Scripts folder but I do not see it on my MISTer. :?:
It uses /media/fat/downloader.ini.
Some users reported that the setting Aracade ROM DB was automagically disabled.
May be something got screwed up in this ini file.
I would start with a fresh one to see if it helps. If it does you will have to re-enable everything you enabled before.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

jca wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:35 pm

I have no idea but I would check a few things.
It uses the downloader which is supposed to be in the Scripts folder but I do not see it on my MISTer. :?:
It uses /media/fat/downloader.ini.
Some users reported that the setting Aracade ROM DB was automagically disabled.
May be something got screwed up in this ini file.
I would start with a fresh one to see if it helps. If it does you will have to re-enable everything you enabled before.

Sorry but what do you mean by a fresh one?
the update_all seem to work but I can't enter the setting part as there's no count down (to press up and enter setup).

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Like the one on the downloader github which is:

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
; base_path is where most commonly installed files will be placed (cores, MRAs, Scripts, etc).
base_path = '/media/fat/'

; storage_priority defines how this tool will use external storage during the installation
;         of files that are designed for external locations (usually games & docs files).
;         
; * Examples of external storage are USB Drives or CIFS partitions detected by MiSTer. ; ; * When you have more than one external storage, the one used will be determined ; by the first path match following the path priority described here: ; https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/cores/paths/ ; ; Options: ; 'prefer_sd' -> This tool will install new files on a external location if a parent folder ; is present. (Parent folder examples: games/NES, docs/AO486) ; ; 'prefer_external' -> This tool will always install new files on a external location ; even if no parent folders are present. ; ; 'off' -> Disables this feature. Affected files will always be installed in your base_path. storage_priority = 'prefer_sd' ; allow_delete options: ; 0 -> Don't allow this tool to delete anything at all. ; 1 -> Allow this tool to delete any old file from previous updates. ; 2 -> Allow this tool to delete only old cores that receive a new version. allow_delete = 1 ; allow_reboot options: ; 0 -> Don't allow this tool to ever reboot automatically. ; 1 -> Allow this tool to reboot the system after any system file has been updated. ; 2 -> Allow this tool to reboot the system only after Linux has been updated. allow_reboot = 1 ; update_linux options: ; true -> Updates Linux when there is a new update (very recommended). ; false -> Doesn't update Linux. update_linux = true ; downloader_timeout: Can be tweaked to increase the timeout time in seconds ; It is useful to increase this value for users with slow connections. downloader_timeout = 300 ; downloader_retries: Can be tweaked to increase the retries per failed download ; It is useful to increase this value for users with very unstable connections. downloader_retries = 3 ; verbose: when true, will make Downloader output to display additional debug information ; This is also necessary to be active to display benchmark information. verbose = false

Or you can edit the one on your MISTer to see if something is strange.
As I said I have no idea what your problem is. You also say that the script is working, just going into the menu does not work. Did you change your KB? Are your arrow keys are working when KB connected to a PC?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You said the up button so I suppose you are using a controller. Is it mapped properly?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I think I have an idea:
In the Misc menu there is a Countdown Timer set to 15. Look in your downloader ini file if there is a setting related to that. I did not change mine and I do not see any setting related to that, may be this setting appears only when you change something. May be yours is set to 0.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

jca wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:27 pm

Like the one on the downloader github which is:

[MiSTer]
; base_path is where most commonly installed files will be placed (cores, MRAs, Scripts, etc).
base_path = '/media/fat/'

; storage_priority defines how this tool will use external storage during the installation
;         of files that are designed for external locations (usually games & docs files).
;         
; * Examples of external storage are USB Drives or CIFS partitions detected by MiSTer. ; ; * When you have more than one external storage, the one used will be determined ; by the first path match following the path priority described here: ; https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/cores/paths/ ; ; Options: ; 'prefer_sd' -> This tool will install new files on a external location if a parent folder ; is present. (Parent folder examples: games/NES, docs/AO486) ; ; 'prefer_external' -> This tool will always install new files on a external location ; even if no parent folders are present. ; ; 'off' -> Disables this feature. Affected files will always be installed in your base_path. storage_priority = 'prefer_sd' ; allow_delete options: ; 0 -> Don't allow this tool to delete anything at all. ; 1 -> Allow this tool to delete any old file from previous updates. ; 2 -> Allow this tool to delete only old cores that receive a new version. allow_delete = 1 ; allow_reboot options: ; 0 -> Don't allow this tool to ever reboot automatically. ; 1 -> Allow this tool to reboot the system after any system file has been updated. ; 2 -> Allow this tool to reboot the system only after Linux has been updated. allow_reboot = 1 ; update_linux options: ; true -> Updates Linux when there is a new update (very recommended). ; false -> Doesn't update Linux. update_linux = true ; downloader_timeout: Can be tweaked to increase the timeout time in seconds ; It is useful to increase this value for users with slow connections. downloader_timeout = 300 ; downloader_retries: Can be tweaked to increase the retries per failed download ; It is useful to increase this value for users with very unstable connections. downloader_retries = 3 ; verbose: when true, will make Downloader output to display additional debug information ; This is also necessary to be active to display benchmark information. verbose = false

Or you can edit the one on your MISTer to see if something is strange.
As I said I have no idea what your problem is. You also say that the script is working, just going into the menu does not work. Did you change your KB? Are your arrow keys are working when KB connected to a PC?

it's not the keyboard!
normally when script starts,there is a count down whcih you can press up and enter setup,this count down does not appear and I can't enter setup.
I need to enter the setup to see whats enabled and whats disabled.(trying to get new M92 core to work)

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

jca wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:28 pm

You said the up button so I suppose you are using a controller. Is it mapped properly?

no I used both KB and controller,it has nothing to do with them.
after running update_all,there should be a count down timer,so you can enter setup by pressing up.
this doesn't appear anymore,and update_all starts straight away.

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

When you run the script, do you even see the message/banner indicating you are using version 2.0 and info about joining his patreon?

-------- Update All 2.0 ---------                        
The All-in-One Updater for MiSTer --------------------------------- - Powered by Downloader 1.6 - ╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗ ║ Become a patron to unlock exclusive features! ║ ║ www.patreon.com/theypsilon ║ ╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

There should be a log file (/media/fat/Scripts/.config/update_all/update_all.log) that should have some details...such as config information and what not...that may provide some helpful hints on what may be going on.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Dis you check that one?
viewtopic.php?p=71992#p71992

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I give up: I cannot figure out what it is.
I went into the settings and changed the Countdown Timer. You cannot set to anything you want, it just steps between a few settings. I choose 60 sec, saved the settings (somewhere but god knows where) see picture.
Nothing changed in the ini file.

Attachments
Save.jpg
Save.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Flandango
Core Developer

I must have missed something, somewhere along the line...but since when do the scripts run in the OSD?
It's possible that the update_all script can't detect "input" when not run inside a terminal.
If you have a keyboard, I suggest you try running the script from the terminal/console (F9, login, then /media/fat/Scripts/update_all.sh)...you should be able to press up then and configure as you like.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Flandango wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:01 pm

When you run the script, do you even see the message/banner indicating you are using version 2.0 and info about joining his patreon?

-------- Update All 2.0 ---------                        
The All-in-One Updater for MiSTer --------------------------------- - Powered by Downloader 1.6 - ╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗ ║ Become a patron to unlock exclusive features! ║ ║ www.patreon.com/theypsilon ║ ╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

There should be a log file (/media/fat/Scripts/.config/update_all/update_all.log) that should have some details...such as config information and what not...that may provide some helpful hints on what may be going on.

Please see the video above,I see that banner but half of it! (the rest appears off screen)
as for the log file,I don't have those folder in that order,here is what I have on my SD card :

Screenshot-2023-04-15-at-17-24-43.png
Screenshot-2023-04-15-at-17-24-43.png (136.68 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

jca wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:21 pm

I give up: I cannot figure out what it is.
I went into the settings and changed the Countdown Timer. You cannot set to anything you want, it just steps between a few settings. I choose 60 sec, saved the settings (somewhere but god knows where) see picture.
Nothing changed in the ini file.

:?:
but I don't want to change the timer? that's not my issue.and I never changed it.
I just want to get into setup! and I can't.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@ Flandango Yes this is very strange as it should run in a console. I did not notice it as I always run scripts from SSH (Putty).
Could it be from this MISTer.ini setting set to 0?
fb_terminal=1 ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled

Regarding the timer: when I wrote the post I though you could set it to 0. This is not the case.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Flandango wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:25 pm

I must have missed something, somewhere along the line...but since when do the scripts run in the OSD?
It's possible that the update_all script can't detect "input" when not run inside a terminal.
If you have a keyboard, I suggest you try running the script from the terminal/console (F9, login, then /media/fat/Scripts/update_all.sh)...you should be able to press up then and configure as you like.

I always ran the scripts from OSD.since day one! and I owned Mister since 2019..I could always enter update_all setup by pressing up during count down.

Flandango
Core Developer

@jca....Just ran a quick test...yes, if fb_terminal is set to 0, you don't get a terminal to run with the scripts...
When the script(s) run in the OSD as in the video (when fb_terminal is set to 0), the scripts can't read input so they just continue running...this is great/ok for scripts that don't need input.
@16Bitt...if you are not using a CRT that requires you to disable the fb_terminal, I suggest you edit your MiSTer.ini file to re-enable it (fb_terminal=1) and restart MiSTer...that should take care of it.
If you can't enable it, then I suggest you SSH into your MiSTer (if you have SSH enabled) and run the script from command line.

Edit: looks you replied as I was typing in my reply.
From my test, it doesn't accept inputs of any kind during script execution. Not sure if it's something that changed recently or maybe something has to be configured somewhere (keyboard/controller input setting).
Now you say you always ran it from OSD...but did the output only show up in the OSD before?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@ Flandango It looks like the problem is solved thanks to you.
When I said that I did not notice the script running in the OSD in reality it seemed odd to me but as I always run scripts with SSH it did not register.

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

Flandango wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:40 pm

@jca....Just ran a quick test...yes, if fb_terminal is set to 0, you don't get a terminal to run with the scripts...
When the script(s) run in the OSD as in the video (when fb_terminal is set to 0), the scripts can't read input so they just continue running...this is great/ok for scripts that don't need input.
@16Bitt...if you are not using a CRT that requires you to disable the fb_terminal, I suggest you edit your MiSTer.ini file to re-enable it (fb_terminal=1) and restart MiSTer...that should take care of it.
If you can't enable it, then I suggest you SSH into your MiSTer (if you have SSH enabled) and run the script from command line.

From my test, it doesn't accept inputs of any kind during script execution. Not sure if it's something that changed recently or maybe something has to be configured somewhere (keyboard/controller input setting).
Now you say you always ran it from OSD...but did the output only show up in the OSD before?

That was it!
fb_terminal was set to 0
(I think because I use CRT TV with RGB Scart and had to change it at some point)
but for update,I wanted to connect it to Wired router (found WIFI very unreliable for update all) which is in another room where the main TV is.
changed the fb_terminal back to 1 and now works perfectly! got the setup menu and all!
thanks.
I just wish there was a way to avoid this painful process of editing ini file every time switching between CRT and modern displays..

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@16Bittt It was a very good idea to post the video. If not for it we will all be looking in the wrong place.
You do not have to change the ini file: use SSH to run the scripts. Putty is a good client.

noon

Unread post by noon »

Flandango wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:40 pm

I want to pipe in here to say that I was having the exact same problem as the OP, and this is what corrected it (adjusting the fb_terminal setting in the mister ini file). Thanks for the help! I think I must have changed the setting at one point when transferring my MISTer back and forth between my CRT and flat screen television.

Flandango
Core Developer

You can always use an alternative config with the fb_terminal set to 0 and when you want to run the script, just have it boot up in that config, run script and when done, have it reboot back to default ini/config with the fb_terminal set to 1 to work with your crt.