CD-I - Willing to Donate One to the Right Developer

seastalker

CD-I - Willing to Donate One to the Right Developer

Unread post by seastalker »

The CD-I is a platform I feel is a perfect candidate for an FPGA core, if a developer(s) is/are interested. It plays games and multi-media, is becoming very expensive hardware (the controllers alone), emulation is subjectively Jaguar CD level non existent (exception: thank you new BigPEmu build!!), and I think many would dabble if there was a core to play instead of hunting down OG hardware.

If any of the established developers would like an original console to study and work on, please PM me. I have a working console/motherboard with non working CD drive and no digital video add-on. New to the scene developers will be considered.

**My schedule doesn't allow me to check pm every day but I will respond as timely as possible.

I welcome comments below from anyone wanting a CD-I core- just to prove interest to developers.

peke

Re: CD-I - Willing to Donate One to the Right Developer

Unread post by peke »

I sold one a year ago. working with video add on and savekeeper fix (decaped chip with battery). miss it but zelda games where shit and only a few games where cool....I really want this core!!! (and jaguar & 3do).

hope someone make it. :)

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

As we all know, CD-i is one of the greatest consoles of all time, as Wrestling With Gaming explains in this video:

Where else are you going to play Thunder in Paradise and Hotel Mario? 😄

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Apparently you can emulate CD-i with RetroArch now:

I'm not sure how you can rip your own CDs, it didn't look like my PC could read them.

Where I was an intern, they were developing for CD-i (on Sun Spark stations). I worked a bit on the graphics engine at the time and a few other things. They developed some great looking interactive documentaries there, like "In the wake of captain Cook", as well as educational animated titles for children. They also produced some enhanced music discs.

It is a Motorola 68000 based system (Philips 68070 at 15.5Mhz), it doesn't have a blitter, the CPU is used to draw graphics. It has a delta-yuv mode, which is similar to HAM on the Amiga, but uses hue, saturation and brightness instead of RGB deltas, which works well with photos. It can also do 256 colors or two separate planes of 128 colors (or 256, I don't remember exactly). It plays 'full motion' mpeg-1 quality video. Audio is 16-bit with of course CD audio as well.

vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

I had a CDi and I have to say it was an aaaawful machine. It couldn't even do Lemmings right: it was a dull conversion with poor audio and a ridiculous intro.
I also had Chaos Control (ugh...) and several art history discs in spanish. I am not too sure it deserves to be rescued from oblivion...

KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

vanfanel wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:33 pm

I had a CDi and I have to say it was an aaaawful machine. It couldn't even do Lemmings right: it was a dull conversion with poor audio and a ridiculous intro.
I also had Chaos Control (ugh...) and several art history discs in spanish. I am not too sure it deserves to be rescued from oblivion...

I do agree that the CD-I actually deserves its reputation as a terrible console. You can count the games worry playing on less than 2 hands. Still, it’s absolutely worth preserving. Hotel Mario is actually a decent game despite the atrocious animation. The Zelda CD-I unholy triforce is what memes are made of, and there are a couple of hidden gems like Zenith and Thunder in Paradise that are exclusive.

Also, we’re getting to serious diminishing returns anyways in terms of consoles atm. With Neo Geo CD underway and Robert’s mystery core being worked on, it’s difficult to state that “X” console isn’t worthy of creating a core for especially since we just got a BBC Bridge Companion core lol

seastalker

Think of the added functionality given to the Playstation core. Maybe games may feel more playable in a CD-I core [just being able to use any controller for it alone would be an improvement]. Maybe some lag improvements... I don't play any MegaDuck FPGA core everyday but am glad it is preserved.

AdamM

Unread post by AdamM »

I'd spend an afternoon or two exploring the core if someone ever makes one. For better or worse, that's my level of interest.

KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Not only would you get games with CD-i, but there are hundreds of various software applications like educational material, movies, music, karaoke, demos, documentaries etc. If you look beyond just gaming there's a lot of interesting software in the CD-i lineup.

retro

Unread post by retro »

Oh man I hope someone picks up on this!

djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

retro wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:14 am

Oh man I hope someone picks up on this!

It would be amazing

brunosilva

Unread post by brunosilva »

yes... I want that also... :)

seastalker

I love that there is a new interest check in a CD-I ODE!!
https://www.retrorgb.com/cdi-ode-interest-check.html

I feel a CD-I 'renaissance' brewing like some of the love other consoles have had the past few years. My offer still stands, but may expire if and when said ODE is available. A lack of a CD drive is what ails my system so this may bring it back to life! Still, I don't have a digital video thingy, so there's that.

I think if possible, the ultimate upgrade for the CD-I would be an ODE with built in Digital Video support and a built in feature that would make a dremel not needed on that one pesky chip.

seastalker

Thus far, I have not had any takers on my offer. This does not surprise me, but it's ok- hopefully someday a core will happen. Maybe after N64 and Saturn are done... we have Neo Geo CD, I think an Amiga CD32 being worked on; eventually I'm sure someone will take on the CD-I and 3DO.

As a fairly new owner of a LG branded CD-I (the BEST model in my opinion, based on built in Digital Video and a MUCH easier to replace timekeeper, and sleekest looking), I recently got the CD-I Bluetooth adapter and wanted to share some news and advice: I could not get my new 8-BitDO controllers to work with it- I tried my Neo Geo CD ones, my SN30 PRO, and barely got my purple PRO 2 to connect, but it disconnects within seconds. I checked which "SADX" setting to set it to and the best was X for 'Direct X' mode.

Wiimote = no. I wondered how it would work without a sensor bar or candles. Apparently you need the later ones with built in Motion Plus. I have yet to test this.

JOY!!! I dug out my old GameSir-G4s (2.4 dongle and Bluetooth) I normally used as a budget PS3 compatible controller and it paired and works like a champ! The stick and D-Pad both work depending on the SPEED you need to work with the cursor. I finally was able to play 'Thunder In Paradise" better. Not great though- a light gun would be the only way.

I honestly think more people would enjoy the CD-I library if and when a Mister core comes out. The CONTROLS alone (PS lightgun, Genesis pad, etc and finally WIRED) would make a core play BETTER than OG hardware in my view. The Bluetooth adapter makes a big improvement for a real CD-I experience, but it is still imperfect and limited in controller compatibility IMHO- a CD-I core would absolutely shine here...

@Wrestling With Gaming - One day we will have our dreams come true. :)

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

I would say keep the faith on this coming one day. It's a 4th gen system rather than 5th gen, so simpler than PSX, Saturn, N64 and we have a cores for parts of it already. Maybe down the road when the remaining bigger doable consoles are done one of the big devs will decide to look at this one. :-)

seastalker

Yes, I am sure it will happen one day too. The CD-I may be the 'pick me last' guy in gym class, but when all the other cores are done, it will be the elephant in the room, which... is still an elephant. :)

It will be nice to experiment with foreign language curiosities and oddities I just can't get myself to burn a cd for.

Based on Pixel Cherry Ninja's latest video about Fixel joining the MARS project where a 3DO core 'may' be worked on, perhaps we are at least hearing the spoon start to scratch the walls of the ice cream container, haha.