Amiga/Microvitec 1438S Multisync as the Only Monitor on The MiSTer?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
the6mbitman

Amiga/Microvitec 1438S Multisync as the Only Monitor on The MiSTer?

Unread post by the6mbitman »

I’m an absolute newcomer to the MISTer, I don’t have one yet, but I’ll get one. I still have an Amiga/Microvitec 1438S Multisync monitor standing around. Does anyone know if this screen can be operated as the only screen on the MisTer? It is a multisync which syncs from 15.7 to 40 KHz and supports all Amiga modes, but some VGA modes. I think with the Minimic Core it will work. But someone knows how it with the selection menu and the other cores, like the ao486 off (the monitor can theoretically 800x600 noninterlaced and 1024x768 interlaced). Thank you in advance.

limi
Top Contributor

Re: Amiga/Microvitec 1438S Multisync as the Only Monitor on The MiSTer?

Unread post by limi »

I use mine with a bi-sync Commodore 1942, and it works with everything I have thrown at it, but I also have to admit that I haven’t spent a lot of time in the ao486 core since there are very few games that interest me there.

These monitors support general VGA resolutions, so I don’t think you will see any issues, but you may have to adjust the position and stretch — which I assume the Microvitec has a way to do, just like the 1942 and 1084 monitors.

d909

Unread post by d909 »

Yes, in theory that should work. I've got one of those Microvitec multisync monitors (though mine is in pretty terrible shape) and it can sync to almost everything the mister does. I haven't tried using it in a couple years now, though.

I wish those monitors weren't so impossibly rare.

d909

Unread post by d909 »

One thing to keep in mind is that ao486 doesn't output real VGA signals. Everything goes through the scaler and digitally scales to a fixed output resolution. A clunky workaround exists. I think there's a guide somewhere on this forum.

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

If you know the pinouts, https://ultimatemister.com/ can make a custom cable for you.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/microvitec ... miga-m1438

Some versions were also fitted with a 15pin VGA connector whilst others came with an Amiga 23pin monitor connector.

If you have the VGA connector version, you should be good. If not — yes, you’ll need a cable.

rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

shertz wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:29 pm

If you know the pinouts, https://ultimatemister.com/ can make a custom cable for you.

Thanks for sharing. Yes we can produce all kind of cables. Just contact us if necessary.
Kind regards
Ricardo

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

kold666

Unread post by kold666 »

I use a Microvitec 1438 but also a Taxan and a Nec Multisync monitors with Mister without any issues execpt on A0486 core which has no real analogue VGA output
On x68K core it can sync 15,25 and 31khz modes

As already advanced the PC 486 core has no real analogue VGA output so the Microvitec makes really ugly noises trying to locking resolutions it doesn't really support.

During one on these fast switching to lock resolutions I managed to destroy the Horizontal Output Transistor and a snubber capacitor. After fixing it up I now use a 15khz modeline which is great and safe for the monitor ;)

sweezely

Unread post by sweezely »

kold666 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:31 am

During one on these fast switching to lock resolutions I managed to destroy the Horizontal Output Transistor and a snubber capacitor. After fixing it up I now use a 15khz modeline which is great and safe for the monitor ;)

Would you mind sharing the modelines you use? Also, what signal did you feed it that caused it to go pop? I just managed to pick up one of these and I would like to avoid blowing it up.