X68000 Beta - Updates and Releases

pbsk8

Re: X68000 Beta - Updates and Releases

Unread post by pbsk8 »

on twitter some people saying the core was updated

any news if this is true and improvements were made?
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

There was a small update. I tried out Phalanx hoping the garbled graphics would be fixed, but no improvement there.
Atmosfear

Unread post by Atmosfear »

And XDF File Format was also changed back to D88 as it looks like. No Thanks , switching back to latest Beta from 13.07.2022.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Atmosfear wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:50 pm And XDF File Format was also changed back to D88 as it looks like. No Thanks , switching back to latest Beta from 13.07.2022.
Some history:
A long, long time ago there was an X68000 core which I think did not work very well and was abandoned. Due to the updates to MISTer it did not even work any longer.
At some point Puu developed a new core from scratch and this core can play quite a few games. This core is not official.
Later on developers made an official core based on the work of Puu, this core has quite a few improvements.
More recently Puu made some modification to his core which now supports XDF.
Porting these modifications to the official one is a big job, mainly because Puu does not use Git.
So at this time it is kind of a mess with one official core and Puu core.
To fix the mess would be first to port the mods from Puu to the official core and next for Puu to work on the official core or at least use Git.
What you call the beta is Puu core and the update script only updates from the official repository.
Place the core from Puu in the _Unofficial so it is not overwritten by the update script. I am not sure this _Unofficial folder exists, I may have created it to place cores which are not official like Sparc Station, Jaguar, X68000 from Puu and others.
Atmosfear

Unread post by Atmosfear »

Thanks for clarification. I already have a folder called unstable where the puu core resides.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

NLeseul wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:19 am プーさん、ありがとうございます‼ I'm very happy to have a device I can play these old PC games on.

Just to report on my testing with some RPG disk images I happen to have on hand:
  • Lagoon is crashing on boot for me. On emulator, it starts with a line drawing of the ZOOM mascot, as seen in the screenshot below. On the MiSTer, it freezes with just the yellow cursor in the corner and making a buzzing noise.
  • Arcus Pro 68k loads and runs. Music and text play during the intro, but no images are rendered. It's trying to draw something, since there's a slightly darker black square where the image should be in the attached screenshot from the MiSTer.
  • All four Dragon Knight games work fine.
Once again, thank you for your work, and I look forward to trying more titles on this platform in the future!

Hi! Did you ever get Lagoon running on the Mister core? I’ve been dying to try it but cannot even get to the Zoom mascot myself. It shows a line “X68000 version 0.02 copyright 1992 zoom” and the nothing else happens. What could the problem be? I used to play this on pc but I cannot remember how to disk juggle the game to boot. Maybe it’s because the core is unstable.

By the way, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this translation patch! This particular one is the one that means the most to me personally out of all translation ROM hacks ever made, and I’ve been around this scene since the very start in the ‘90s.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

have there been any updates to this core since the October release? Is there a patreon to back for it?

cruz1383

Unread post by cruz1383 »

Milspex wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:54 pm

have there been any updates to this core since the October release? Is there a patreon to back for it?

Hope there is a no core left behind mentality with the x68000 core.. lots of great work has been done and we are super grateful but fingers crossed for this core to be fully completed.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Puu has been working on FM Towns stuff lately, maybe he'll come back to the X68000 core later, here's his Japanese blog:
http://fpga8801.seesaa.net/
I'd also like to see improvements to the X68000 core, but an FM Towns core would be nice to have as well, so whatever he feels like working on is fine with me.

chimaera

Unread post by chimaera »

Puu has done some great work with the X68000, but I cannot say im looking forward to another near done abandoned core, even if i am very interested in a FM Towns core.

cruz1383

Unread post by cruz1383 »

chimaera wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:38 pm

Puu has done some great work with the X68000, but I cannot say im looking forward to another near done abandoned core, even if i am very interested in a FM Towns core.

I can also second that. Wish he would have finished the 68000 before going to the fm towns. I have emulated the fm towns and it is a very good system but the 68000 should have taken center stage but who am I to say. I can't develop cores.