Ethernet With Crossover Cable Directly to PC - How to Config? [Solved]

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
emuola

Ethernet With Crossover Cable Directly to PC - How to Config? [Solved]

Unread post by emuola »

The title pretty much says it :) Cable is there, but how do I configure MiSTer not to use DHCP?

emuola

Re: Ethernet With Crossover Cable Directly to PC - How to Config? [Solved]

Unread post by emuola »

Found this, but where is the /etc/dhcpcd.conf on the SD card? I know my way around Linux filesystem, but how can I actually access it?

Flandango wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Network configuration is now done with dhcpcd. You will have to modify the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file to setup a static ip.
Add something like this on the bottom of the file:

Code: Select all

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.0.XX/24
static routers=192.168.0.X
static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.X 8.8.8.8

For DNS, you don't need to Provide more than one but if you do, just leave a space between them.
The Static IP address has the /24 for the netmask, if you don't know what your network has, then leave it as /24 as that's the most common for home networks.

As a side note, copy this file to your SD Card as a backup, since updates can reset, if it does, just copy it back over.
If you are script savvy, you can probably write a script to check if the files match, if they don't copy it over and include it in the /media/fat/linux/user-startup.sh startup script.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

There is no problem accessing this file but you have to do it under Linux. SSH into MISTer and vi /etc/dhcpcd/conf or whatever editor you want to use.
It is what I did to set my MISTer in fixed IP.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

jca wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:58 pm

There is no problem accessing this file but you have to do it under Linux. SSH into MISTer and vi /etc/dhcpcd/conf or whatever editor you want to use.
It is what I did to set my MISTer in fixed IP.

How can I SSH in to MiSTer as I cannot access via the ethernet? :O I don't have a switch at the moment and Wifi either. I guess I'm screwed then ? Windows does not have a DHCP server as a service either :/

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

Solved: Installed a simple DHCP server foe Win10 and got the network working 👍

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Glad you solved it. I did not know that you had no way to connected to your MISTer, although I should have suspected it could have been a possibility. Instead of SSH you could have switched to the console by pressing F9 on the keyboard (if you have one) and proceed from there.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

jca wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:23 pm

Glad you solved it. I did not know that you had no way to connected to your MISTer, although I should have suspected it could have been a possibility. Instead of SSH you could have switched to the console by pressing F9 on the keyboard if you have one) and proceed from there.

Hmm. Nothing happens, if I press F9 🤔 Is it something configurable in the ini? Running the latest version of MiSTer.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Should something like this happen again you could always pull out the SD card, boot your computer from a Linux installation USB stick and use the live USB environment from that to do your edits in the SD card. Such sticks may have the purpose of installing an OS but that doesn't mean you have to, and their minimal environments are usually good enough for small rescue operations like this.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

Bas wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:28 am

Should something like this happen again you could always pull out the SD card, boot your computer from a Linux installation USB stick and use the live USB environment from that to do your edits in the SD card. Such sticks may have the purpose of installing an OS but that doesn't mean you have to, and their minimal environments are usually good enough for small rescue operations like this.

Yes, those are very handy indeed - I just felt that I'd want to setup the network without that process. For some reason I cannot access the console, that would have been the easiest thing to try out. The simple DHCP server (and a crossover ethernet cable) was really easy way to gain access to the MiSTer actually 💪

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

emuola wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:23 am

Hmm. Nothing happens, if I press F9 🤔 Is it something configurable in the ini? Running the latest version of MiSTer.

Check if you have
fb_terminal=1 ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
in MISTer.ini.